Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree92Likes

Thread: Ruahine fly-in: The good and the bad of helicopters for hunters

WARO or 1080 won't get them all
    Great trip by all accounts. Time spent with mates, beautiful country, family of Whio, good weather ........ And a deer to top it off
    Didn't see any blowies on your deer. Was it quite cool up there? Last April I'm sure they were wearing puffer jackets
    GWH likes this.

Nice looking country and good story. Cheers
    GWH likes this.

@GWH seeing as you have a nice clear photo of the R22 with the rego, & one with it stropping a deer, I'd consider laying a compliant with DOC, he's either operating outside of the terms of his waro concession (1st Dec) or doesn't have one. The CAA register says its privately owned.
    P38, Shootm and GWH like this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by outdoorlad View Post
    @GWH seeing as you have a nice clear photo of the R22 with the rego, & one with it stropping a deer, I'd consider laying a compliant with DOC, he's either operating outside of the terms of his waro concession (1st Dec) or doesn't have one. The CAA register says its privately owned.
    Those images are taken from my video footage.

My hunting mate is talking to DOC tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    P38 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    Those images are taken from my video footage.

My hunting mate is talking to DOC tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    Good

Might also be worth while advising Gordon & Derek too:

Hi all.
    From Gordon

Hi
    Today was down as our judicial review hearing over the 2015 WARO review outcome which saw openings to WARO in the Ruahines, Tararuas and Rimutakas.

However there is a delay as the judge who has already read all the associated paperwork was concerned as to whether the WARO operators had been given adequate opportunity to be involved as they are an affected party if she reverses the decision.

The concern is that they would otherwise have an appeal option and she wants a robust decision. As frustrating as this is it is not necessarily a bad thing for our cause that this concern exists. The north island operators (6 only) will have a few weeks to express an interest and pay for involvement if they want in. A new hearing is likely in mid-January 2017.

However the deer are still out there. A mate and I picked up a yearling early Saturday on the Ruahine tops which seemed fair exchange for a fairly miserable night in a tent with the wind and the rain. On the way out we met 3 other hunters. None knew anything about the WARO changes or challenge or belonged to a club. This raises the issue of we (all of us) not being effective in spreading the word. Some hunters are also complacent perhaps due to the lack of WARO presently – what is the issue they might say ? The answer is simple – what will happen the moment the meat price rises ? Those of us old enough remember exactly what happens under those conditions with all areas open to WARO hammered along with some areas not so open. We need to challenge the openings to ensure they don’t become bedded in as a time bomb awaiting the next meat price rise.

The message is simple, for the sake of the future you need to spread the word and we need your support (your money mostly) for the WARO challenge. This has not been a cheap process, many have donated generously but many more have sat on their wallets while the efforts and spending of others has gained benefits for all (the ruahine review outcome) and the potential to overturn all the changes before the price rises and your favoured hunting spots disappear to the helicopters or to hunters displaced from other areas. This challenge is not the end of the threats but success could help lessen the next threats to come such as the pending CMS removing the closed area status of parts of the Ruahines.

Please help us and help yourself, spread the word and donate

Donations to “Lower North Island Red Deer Foundation Incorporated” Kiwi Bank acct # 38 9017 0707871 01
    Check out our Facebook page (LNI Red Deer Foundation) for more info.

Thanks and good hunting,
    Gordon George (GG), President, Lower North Island Red Deer Foundation Inc.
    Blaser and GWH like this.

Great looking trip mate,nice looking bino bag to👍
    GWH likes this.

Thanks for the post. Very nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    GWH likes this.
    Dan M

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    Great looking trip mate,nice looking bino bag to��
    Yeah I'm loving it mate

What did doc say about the chopper ?
    veitnamcam likes this.

Great report and great result at the end....well done on going out on the last day....the hard yakka paid off.....
    GWH likes this.
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by Boaraxa View Post
    What did doc say about the chopper ?
    My mate called them, got a jumbled message back, doesn't sound like they really give a shit, the bloke made mention that they may send a warning letter (if they can be bothered by the sounds), but this was probably just paying it lip service by the sounds.

Ive also tried contacting the people behind the 'Lower North Island Red deer foundation' to pass our info onto them, but no one has made contact as yet.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Not at all a surprising response unfortunately......for public servants they do a pretty shit job of serving the public.
    GWH, blake and Boaraxa like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    My mate called them, got a jumbled message back, doesn't sound like they really give a shit, the bloke made mention that they may send a warning letter (if they can be bothered by the sounds), but this was probably just paying it lip service by the sounds.

Ive also tried contacting the people behind the 'Lower North Island Red deer foundation' to pass our info onto them, but no one has made contact as yet.
    Id be spewing getting way off the beatin track to just have some F wit in a shit chopper thrashing the place out of season ...its no wonder your mate got fobbed off tell doc "someone's definitely going to get shot" ...it seems to work for some these days

Right WHO is your MP write him a letter also write the MP of envroment a letter and call and write the local doc office a letter explaining that you have informed all the above party's and you would like a defiant answer on what there going to do!
    Don't roll over on this and just shrug your shoulders saying oh well get bloody stuck in. You pay tax for a reason and you have video footage.
    Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Fuck it it's Christmas drop a tree on there front door a bloody big one with sixty five week old 1080ed possum in the top
    GWH likes this.

Surely the Police/CAA would be interested ?

Shooting from a moving vehicle ?
    Shooting/hunting in, across or onto Public land without a valid permit.
    Use of a firearm where it causes distress or annoyance to neighbors or the public?
    Illegal? low flying.

Guess you'd have to be able to prove that animal was shot from the aircraft and or ended up being 'commercially processed'.
    sometimes likes this.