Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree14Likes
  • 8 Post By Russian 22.
  • 1 Post By deer243
  • 3 Post By Russian 22.
  • 1 Post By Cigar
  • 1 Post By Tommy

Thread: Sort of successful North kaimai trip.

Sort of successful North kaimai trip.

Having read a thread about the merits of a summer trip to the northern kaimais I set off after a red. Having only ever been to the southern side I didn't know what to expect. But the photos I'd seen were primo so I was looking forward to it.

I stayed at my cousins place not far from matamata and set off in the early hours of Sunday morning.

I decided to go up the Waiorongomai Valley and head towards cashmores clearing.

It is of interest to note that the kauri Grove track has been closed and the track markers from the stream have been removed by DOC but the markers from the top of the range have not.

There is instead a hunters track that is incredibly well marked with link markers that goes up the easiest way to ridge I've ever come across.

You get to this by going to the very end of the stream. Past bendigo battery and past the left hand side of the Kauri Grove. You drop down into the stream and it is very easily found.

Once at the top there's the old North South track that wasn't on my topo map app but volunteers from the tramping community have cleared it from te aroha to cashmores clearing. Still got orange markers.

I got maybe 1 quarter of the way to cash mores clearing when I spooked a deer in some very thick Bush near the drop off where to ridge goes down into the bush.

Lots of fairly fresh pig rooting. A few goats around but nothing shoot able.

It was fun to explore a new part of the range. Glassed for a while but didn't see anything on the sunny faces. I would expect that they're near the creeks and anywhere with water due to the heat. Maybe around cash mores they'd be around the open.

Wind was blowing from waikato over to the bay of plenty side. So a lot of bush became not hunt able due to getting scented out.

Ended up having to leave earlier than expected but all in all a great time was had.
    Tahr, deer243, Bernie and 5 others like this.

Nice one, my best hunts are into new areas, be if i get a animal or not
    Russian 22. likes this.

The more you learn the country the more productive it will become, keep at it you will score sooner or later.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    The more you learn the country the more productive it will become, keep at it you will score sooner or later.
    I have pivoted away from the animals equals success mentality. Found it much to easy to get jealous and sad about others shooting deer and me not doing as well.

It's a much more wholesome measure to instead think of whether or not I had a good time enjoying the fantastic country we live in. We have a limited amount of time to get out and about so if it was enjoyable that's what really matters.

I really should be focusing on the basics and just walking slowly through a good area.
    Pengy, Tommy and tanqueray like this.

Yes you are right you don't need to shoot an animal to have a successful trip. There have been many a trip when I haven't but still it is rewarding and a learning curve on each of these trips.
    As you say focus on the areas with plenty of sign and hunt slowly into the wind, especially in the feed areas move very slowly and look and listen, it is amazing how many animals I hear before I see them.

Gone but not forgotten
    ..... it is amazing how many animals I hear before I see them.
    I'll second that comment
    Russian 22. likes this.

At least you gave it a go. Good on ya...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post

It's a much more wholesome measure to instead think of whether or not I had a good time enjoying the fantastic country we live in. We have a limited amount of time to get out and about so if it was enjoyable that's what really matters.
    With you there, it's a healthy mindset to have. It's bound to lead to less accidentally shot humans, but also you'll have a better time.
    Russian 22. likes this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Yes you are right you don't need to shoot an animal to have a successful trip. There have been many a trip when I haven't but still it is rewarding and a learning curve on each of these trips.
    As you say focus on the areas with plenty of sign and hunt slowly into the wind, especially in the feed areas move very slowly and look and listen, it is amazing how many animals I hear before I see them.
    I have heard most animals I've seen and shot, smelt them in the rain. It's surprising how loud they can be when they're feeling safe.

Quote Originally Posted by tiroahunta View Post
    At least you gave it a go. Good on ya...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It was your post that gave me the idea of the trip. So cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    With you there, it's a healthy mindset to have. It's bound to lead to less accidentally shot humans, but also you'll have a better time.
    Yeah it's easy to get caught up with the deer at all costs.

Especially in the kaimais.

There were FIFTEEN people in th done valley doing day walks. Granted I was on the top of the range but still. A lot of people so care needs to be taken.