Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree15Likes
  • 12 Post By Happy Jack
  • 3 Post By 11mms

Thread: Spare evening

Spare evening

I had an evening spare last night so decided to go for a bit of a wander with the rifle, I can't go next week as the truck will be in the panel shop getting fixed from its slapping from a bus a while ago.

I left home around 3pm to drive across the way to the local mountains, getting to the carpark as the last of the day-trippers were heading out for home. It had been a nice day back home 22c and a light breeze but the wind up here was up a bit. Shouldering my pack I set off, its been 8 years or so since I was last up here but the track is much as I remember except DOC have removed the counting bridge that was on the track for many years.
    Slowly I plod up to the hut which sits right on the bush edge, the local trapping program to help the Whio is obviously working as there are more Weka around than I have seen for years.

I sit at the hut and have a quick feed then head up onto the tops its really blowing up here and to cap it all drizzling. Its far too windy to be on the tops and with terrible visibility I decided to bush bash down to the river in the valley below instead of following the track down. An hour later having seen no sign what so ever in the bush I pop out right where I wanted to by the other hut in this area, a quick look in the hut book sees cullers have been in the area a week previous and taken 63 goats out.

I know up the other side of the valley there is a gully where I have seen deer before so racing now to try and get there before dark, but sadly I don't quite make it and turn around just on full dark. An hour and a half later I'm back at the ute I even managed the walk out without my head torch just using the ambient light. In total 11km walked 750m ascended and descended, game seen Nil, Weka's seen about 20.

Driving back of the mountain just before where the properties start a big fat hind leaps of the road into the bushes in front of me and even lower down a yearling runs for about 200m down the road in front of me. I not stupid enough to try and shoot these but I know there are plenty of rednecks around who would be sorely tempted.

Home at 11pm for a feed and a shower before bed.
    Tahr, Trout, Pengy and 9 others like this.
    Happy Jack.

oh I can feel the pain of the fatties on the road...good on you for leaving them alone.
    sounds like you still had a great walk...next time.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Well... if there's venison on the road and the ute's going in for panelbeating anyway...
    Trout, Eat Meater and Clappy like this.
    The only Government to trust: .45-70

Nothing wrong with a head butting ute.

Quote Originally Posted by 11mms View Post
    Well... if there's venison on the road and the ute's going in for panelbeating anyway...
    Unfortunately they already have the photo's of the existing damage and since I'm not paying didn't want to add to it
    Happy Jack.