Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree48Likes
  • 41 Post By silentscope
  • 1 Post By 223nut
  • 2 Post By Husky1600
  • 1 Post By rugerman
  • 2 Post By Flyblown

Thread: spring stag, hard work paying off

spring stag, hard work paying off

The hound and me have been together for roughly 6 months now and boy has he come a long way in that time he has gone from a lunatic who only wanted to run around and piss everywhere and run off after sounds now he quietly works his way a head making sure were in eyesight distance. Weve had a few encounters lately where hes lead me into pigs but because where I hunt I leave the pigs for the other hunters we just sit and watch them do their thing and rudi gets lots of pats for showing me where they are. this time we were up at the crack of dawn headed out to the block and were sitting at our usual lookout possie seeing if there was any sign of a deer out eating some of the new grass i had sown a couple week earlier but after an hour or so nothing had been spotted so we headed off for a loop walk of the block. heading down the ridge through the scrub rudi become very interested in something on the back side of the ridge so i followed his lead as usual thinking it was most likely pigs again but its would be good to see what hes tracking. 100m down the ridge rudi popped out on a little outcrop and just sat fixated on something further down the ridge that i couldn't see yet, once i caught up to him i popped my head over the rocks and had a quick look with the binos and made out 2 stags sitting amongst the scrub less that 100m down from us, a quick shot was made and one of the stags rolled down the hill from where he was sitting. i sat there for a minute and collected myself about what had just happened and that rudi had just put me onto his first deer. we headed down for the recovery and i followed the dogs lead and we calmy made our way to where the stag was laying 50m or so below where i had shot it. we spent an hour boning the meat out enjoying the sunshine and made our way home with heavy packs and massive smiles.

Name:  20221112_064618.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  4.02 MB
    Name:  received_536014911673055.jpeg
Views: 381
Size:  665.3 KB

nice looking, good condition animal. would of been a decent head after another couply months! hes pretty well grown already eh!

Now he knows what the boss is looking for I'd say he will start ignoring the pigs, especially if he got a few tasty morsels!! Great when things all fall into place
    Micky Duck likes this.

Well done, its a great feeling.

Neat looking dog too, a classic pointer already looking for the next thing for boss to shoot.

Well done enjoy yr veni silentscope and pooch.

Cool write up, well done. There something to be said about hunting with a good dog. And I learnt the hard way - always trust the dog.
    rugerman and Micky Duck like this.

Go the speckled pooch
    Earned him num nums he did
    Micky Duck likes this.

Well done Rudi.

OH YEAH BABY...... you two getting your mojo on now,there will be no holding you back.....fantastic to read dog STOPPED on rocky outcrop and looked...no barking whinging or chaseing ...you are ahead of the game already...enjoy the venison.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Ned
    Good Boy!!!
    Lovely looking dog that.

Top job. He’ll learn fast after that experience.
    Tahr and Micky Duck like this.
    Just...say...the...word

Nice, awesome stag and it looks as if Rudi has a good future find deer for you , Well Done.