Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Nick-D
  • 2 Post By Nick-D
  • 1 Post By Nick-D

Thread: Stings and things

Stings and things

So had a couple of mates nagging me to get out for a tramp/hunt, and despite my protests that it would be a little like the blind leading the blind they persisted and a plan was hatched.

I wanted to get out before the roar kicked off, and thought since I had a couple of blokes along I would use the oppertunity to check out some new hunting grounds as I though stalking would be pretty hard with all of us crunching through the bush.

So up at 4 we piled into the car and headed down to Whirinaki. After a couple hours and some pretty wet feet we stopped for a midway hunt and to check out a good clearing. Good ridgeline and a lovely clearing but very hard to get to with downed trees, suppljack and onga onga thickets that made entire guts unpassable.

Name:  DSCF1730.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  1.01 MB

Bit of fresh sign around reasonably low, but time was crucial so didnt want to spend the time getting up high yet, so down we came and on we slogged.

Name:  DSCF1703.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  1.05 MB

After a quick pitch of camp and gathering some wood we head out for an evening hunt of the riverflats. Heaps of fresh sign both pig and deer, but nothing was seen and going was slow thanks to the thickets of onga onga, and I didnt stay out as long as I would like givin the mindfield that I did not want to try navigate in the dark. We all got a few good whacks from the onga which packs a hellova punch, so back to camp for a feed and a decent sleep.

Name:  DSCF1712.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  943.4 KB

Next morning saw me jumping up and down and hopping back and forth as the boys faffed about getting ready and we were not onto the hunt anywhere near as early as I would have liked. We hunted the river flats again and got the jump on a hind as she moved back towards the hill but couldn't get a shot due to bushes and grass. Put the stalk on but she was moving with intent and as soon as it hit the steep stuff she gave me the slip.
    We then picked a spur and started climbing, after a couple of hours a few hundred vertical metres and not much sign apart from one ok stag who again gave me the slip as we tried to move slowly through the crunchy ferns. bit miffed by the lack of sign up there but the view alone was worth the climb.

Name:  DSCF1718.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  1.06 MB

Spent the afternoon on the spurs but again very little sign, and after an evening stalk of another good clearing with no more action or sightings we crashed out to hike out the long way the next day and have a good look around.

Bit of a frustrating trip as I feel I had the timing and of the deer all wrong. With the amount of sign about I would have thought we would get onto a few more.

Good weekend all round though, and some bloody nice bush away from the ongaonga infested guts and streambeds.

Need to find a good book on the movments and habits of reds as I was playing a guessing game.
    grunzter likes this.

Its hard yacka in parts down there. Actually none of it is easy from what ive seen unless you have access to private land. Good effort though.

Yeah she is pretty steep country in places. Set the record for the fastest downhill run, encouraged by a swarm of angry german wasps. Other 2 boys got stung, I got away lucky
    Scouser and Rusky like this.

Hi @Nick-D not asking for exact spot, but i hit the Whirinaki every year, never been up that high before, where 'roughly' where you....i hunt the flats off South Rd and Arohaki lagoon, Minginui side......
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

We were in further, up near the mangamate hut. Just wanted to check the spurs out for stag sign. Did bump the one at about 600m but there was very little other sign around right up to about 900m where we turned around. In hind sight I think I was heading up the wrong side of the vally. The other side was lower but was also very steep
    Scouser likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    We were in further, up near the mangamate hut. Just wanted to check the spurs out for stag sign. Did bump the one at about 600m but there was very little other sign around right up to about 900m where we turned around. In hind sight I think I was heading up the wrong side of the vally. The other side was lower but was also very steep
    Cheers mate, i prefer the flat stuff if i can for Reds.....do too much climbing for Sika.....
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt