Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree164Likes

Thread: Stuff that I've learned about deer control

Good write up, agree for sure. Plenty of people could do with reading this

yea good points but the reality is virtually no farmer is going to let a random onto their property to hunt these days there are to many horror stories and the trust in a hand shake agreement these days is not what it was even 10 years ago.access might only be gained through family or being known to the farmer for years.i like going for hunts with randoms but I'm nervy about letting them loose by themselves.
    Steve123 and Padox like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yesmate View Post
    yea good points but the reality is virtually no farmer is going to let a random onto their property to hunt these days there are to many horror stories and the trust in a hand shake agreement these days is not what it was even 10 years ago.access might only be gained through family or being known to the farmer for years.i like going for hunts with randoms but I'm nervy about letting them loose by themselves.
    Well then they can't complain about deer numbers then if they're not letting people shoot them.
    Yesmate likes this.

Naracoorte South Australia/From South Canterbury
    Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    Well then they can't complain about deer numbers then if they're not letting people shoot them.
    We have that issue here in South Australia. A group of farmers who are upset about high numbers of deer and blame their neighbours, they'll utilise the federally funded helicopter culling 2x a year but offer to help them with controlling numbers and you get a no, continual pressure is required if numbers are to be brought down.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yesmate View Post
    Yeah nah. Mate, I see your point, but my experience suggests otherwise. There’s plenty of guys like me with long-term permissions that they built up over time. I really don’t agree with the statement “virtually no farmer...”, the last three valleys I visited in southern and northern Taranaki all yielded new permissions, in the last two years.

This is about how guys that might get viewed as a random can change their approach and give the cynical farmer reason to think twice. Some cockies do themselves few favours, in a constant state of war with everyone and taking an unnecessarily negative view of the common lesser spotted GC.

I’m not saying it’s easy, but its certainly not impossible.
    Micky Duck and Ben Waimata like this.
    Just...say...the...word

Tiniroto - Gisborne
    1500 taken apparently

Name:  190605521_1113671929118131_8655975017960299984_n.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  85.9 KB
    Trout, Micky Duck, Phil_H and 1 others like this.

Over what period ? A weekend? On many properties?
    veitnamcam likes this.

Great read @Flyblow
    Posted above picture before fully reading your article
    I think it fits with the message - although its all Stags in above photo I think and it was part of a big mop up on a pre-plant Forestry project (from what info I have which may be need tweaking)

Can you imagine in another 5 years in a lot of regions without your approach (and farmers plans to match)

I am glad to also read today - I am not the only one to shy away from dials and knobs as to me its just an unnecessary add-on in the "Hunting" category
    Micky Duck and Ben Waimata like this.

Go the 308.
    flock likes this.

that looks more like a compitition line up?????

I wish I was in this position really.
    I used to shoot a property I would see 30 plus deer a night (phenomenonal numbers of deer for the region) while shooting rabbits.
    Owner was protective of the deer as he had had his fence cut years ago letting some into doc mismanaged land.
    He was always hopefull he would get some back into the deer trap near the boundary.
    The deer trap used to work when it was freshly developed land with new grass 25-30 years ago.....they had no reason to go there now with freshly developed grass and crops over the property.
    For a start it was yea you can shoot a deer but only a stag.
    Crops started getting punished....ok you can shoot a hind but if you get a few I would like some sausages.....like no problems at all how many can you handle.
    Numbers dropped rapidly.
    Dependant on the terrain and bush and thesize of
    the property I still believe letting rec hunters on property to hunt is the most economical and most ethical solution.

No disrespect to the opening post at all, when numbers are up as much as yours the jobs got to be done.....it just should never get to that point.

But the "job" wouldn't be a "job" and wouldn't have to be done if Access was allowed its that simple.

Sorting the hunters and or pest controlers from the fuckwits with a rifle and or lamp/thermal who can both hunt safely and follow instructions to to "shoot everything" " only shoot stags" "only shoot hinds"
    Is the hard bit for the land owner/manager
    weather you personally think their goal is off target or not is irrelevant if you have access follow the rules.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    Yeah nah. Mate, I see your point, but my experience suggests otherwise. There’s plenty of guys like me with long-term permissions that they built up over time. I really don’t agree with the statement “virtually no farmer...”, the last three valleys I visited in southern and northern Taranaki all yielded new permissions, in the last two years.

This is about how guys that might get viewed as a random can change their approach and give the cynical farmer reason to think twice. Some cockies do themselves few favours, in a constant state of war with everyone and taking an unnecessarily negative view of the common lesser spotted GC.

I’m not saying it’s easy, but its certainly not impossible.
    Ill stand by the comment that virtually no farmer will let a random on but agree its def not impossible,the trust needs to be built over a decent time though with like you say something in it for the land owner.Im in the trade and I have several farmer clients that I can hunt on their places, it came about by me suggesting a few little jobs could be done for hunting access,that instantly sealed the deal but id known/delt the farmer for years before bringing it up.I know 100% if I had of asked straight away it would have been a No by what they had told me re the hunting on their place.The best tac for anyone wanting to gain access is to offer something/their time(would you like those thousand thistles grubbed next weekend?)to the owner that is valuable to them(don't offer venison sausages, generally farmers freezers are full of home kill)but I still believe you need to know the guy for a few years for it to happen.Randoms to farmers=No.
    Phil_H likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuidog View Post
    We have that issue here in South Australia. A group of farmers who are upset about high numbers of deer and blame their neighbours, they'll utilise the federally funded helicopter culling 2x a year but offer to help them with controlling numbers and you get a no, continual pressure is required if numbers are to be brought down.
    I certainly struggle to have much sympathy.

I'm not sure if you're making actual sense or if Google trapped me in one of those echo chambers I've read about... 😅

I'm very much into LR shooting, but as you put it, "productivity of LR is really crap" was also why I never really culled deer like that. My shooting has also been driven by a sense of economy, and for the same reasons as you I went full circle and settled on a 6.5x55.

Very good writeup, made my day! 😎
    Tuidog, Micky Duck and Phil_H like this.

In line with flyblowns original post, the result of a mornings shoot on a wanganui farm, by the end of the weekend we had recovered 13 of 22 deer shot, also 3 pigs( recovered) and 4 goats plus a few possums( left).
    Yes the deer are small, a mix of yearlings and fawns, 50/50 male and female but they need to go as the trees planted last year have been taking a thrashing.
    The place has regularly been shot by others but there are still significant numbers around that need reducing.
    The mindset needed to shoot the "young unns" certainly is different.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Trout, Micky Duck, Sh00ter and 2 others like this.