Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Tahr Hunt

  1. #1
    Just another outdoors addict
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    284

    Tahr Hunt

     Below is an excert from a story which relates loosely to the bull in this photo- taken a couple of years earlier.




    Broken- I rested my rifle against a handy moss covered tree, loosened my straps, freed my left arm and shoulder then swung my pack off my back to be caught in the hook of my right arm- resisting the urge to just fling it on the ground in angst or desperation to be free of its burden. I propped it and its valuable contents gently alongside my rifle.


    It was plain to see I was not the only one feeling completely shattered. I thought I was prepared for this- after last time, but now rather than just feeling daunting physical fatigue the blissful ignorance I possessed on the previous trip had been replaced by stark awareness. In this moment I despaired......

  2. #2
    Member Eion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Dunedin
    Posts
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Allen View Post
     Below is an excert from a story which relates loosely to the bull in this photo- taken a couple of years earlier.




    Broken- I rested my rifle against a handy moss covered tree, loosened my straps, freed my left arm and shoulder then swung my pack off my back to be caught in the hook of my right arm- resisting the urge to just fling it on the ground in angst or desperation to be free of its burden. I propped it and its valuable contents gently alongside my rifle.


    It was plain to see I was not the only one feeling completely shattered. I thought I was prepared for this- after last time, but now rather than just feeling daunting physical fatigue the blissful ignorance I possessed on the previous trip had been replaced by stark awareness. In this moment I despaired......
    You better be planning on printing the rest, otherwise that's just not fair.

  3. #3
    Just another outdoors addict
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    284
    Sorry- Eion. Try Clicking the link at the bottom of my post and it should show up?

  4. #4
    Member Eion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Dunedin
    Posts
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Allen View Post
    Sorry- Eion. Try Clicking the link at the bottom of my post and it should show up?
    Ta, I'll have a good read through tonight, very nice writing BTW.

  5. #5
    OPCz Rushy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Posts
    27,840
    Excellent Tim
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

  6. #6
    Just another outdoors addict
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    284
    A wee bit more from the second part:



    An interesting photo. It would be a great lookout!!

    I whittled away the day doing little else to be frank. I did take advantage of the warm sunny conditions drying socks and boots and steeling a little sleep. Warm and content I lay back and sheltered my eyes from the sun. The ancient war of water on rock drifted up from a kilometer below. In my last vision before closing my eyes I was surrounded by higher peeks, including the highest of them all, snow covered and grand. All around tussock and herb fields give way to wild and steep bush. In front the river plunders it's way with purpose to the sea. The view of the mouth is obscured. There is a thick band of cloud much lower than I am. Beyond the carpet of cloud the deep blue of the Tasman Sea leads to a distant horizon. To show you this picture is to spoil this place.

  7. #7
    ebf
    ebf is offline
    The gnome returns ! ebf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Hutt Valley
    Posts
    5,002
    Enjoyed reading that, tx Tim
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby
    Black rifles matter...

  8. #8
    Member Scouser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    JAFA
    Posts
    4,474
    Great story, very honest of you to post in public, I've felt fear grip me a few times in the mountains when on my own....not a nice feeling......but for some 'reason' i always go back to experience it again....I must be MAD!!!!!!!
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

  9. #9
    Just another outdoors addict
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    284
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouser View Post
    Great story, very honest of you to post in public, I've felt fear grip me a few times in the mountains when on my own....not a nice feeling......but for some 'reason' i always go back to experience it again....I must be MAD!!!!!!!
    It's probably about challenging ourselves Scouser. An unplanned ill equiped night out or worse an ill equiped and injured night out would be high on the list of most hunters "don't want to do" lists.

    I'll do something I'm barely prepared for again Thanks for checking it out- also ebf, Rushy and Eion- cheers.

  10. #10
    Addicted puku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Maniototo
    Posts
    2,018
    Hey Tim, awesome stories there for sure
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-05-2013, 09:39 AM
  2. West Coast Tahr and or Chamois hunt
    By Bavarian_Hunter in forum Hunting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 23-01-2013, 12:51 PM
  3. Mt Cook Tahr day Hunt help
    By RichieRich in forum Hunting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 16-11-2012, 10:33 AM
  4. Tahr hunt
    By Smiddy in forum The Magazine
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-08-2012, 03:36 PM
  5. Tahr hunt - a few photos.
    By gimp in forum The Magazine
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-12-2011, 04:09 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!