Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Trifecta

Trifecta

Went for a quick overnighter into doc land in the ruatiti area over the weekend. Up at 4:00am and got to the start of the track on first light after the obligatory stop at tamas McDonald's for a feed and a coffee. After an hours of walking to my first lookout point I instantly spotted a couple of red hinds 215m away so waiting until she turned broadside she got one behind the shoulder and the norma.308 pill polaxed her. Good start to the trip. Carried on another 20 minutes to camp after butchering her , setup and had another feed then onto the next spot about another hour further on bouncing another hind along the track on the way. Went on a bit of a recce at the next spot to try get to some clearings I've been eyeing up on google earth but after a couple of hours bashing through the scrub I spotted them still a bit further than I thought so turned around and headed back to where I normally hunt bumping into 3 little pigs which came into within 5m of us before gapping it. Got to my spot back in the open and spot a fallow spiker eyeballing me 50m away in the creek so quickly chamber a round but he bolts into the scrub but I knew he didn't go far so waited and spot his head and neck 50m further up the bank so whack one in the base of his neck dropping him on the spot. The butchering begins again and with a heavy pack start heading the hour back to camp. Arriving just before camp to a big clearing a couple of minutes before dark sit down and a big boar suddenly crests the hill I'm sitting on so one of the boys quickly puts one in his shoulder 10m away! A trifecta! A red, fallow and pig in 1 day all on doc land. A few well earned beers went down that night around the fire. Next morning got up at 8 and went for a quick look around seeing a couple more hinds but left them be knowing the packs were super loaded already. Got back to the truck around 2:00 absolutely stuffed with 8 legs, 4 back steaks and the boar and chucked him on the farmers scales weighing him in at 126 pounds. Interesting thing I found over the weekend was ALL the deer we seen were bang on to the times the gps was saying the best times were. And they weren't first and last light. Anyone else come across this? Few pics that I took

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 784
Size:  1,005.3 KB

Views: 733
Size:  990.6 KB

Views: 781
Size:  974.3 KB

Looks like a mint spot, plenty of feed. It's always good to get a few different species...

Nice one. Have seen 3 or more species in a day on public land but haven't shot 3 or more. As for your times for hunting, I find that's the case more often than not. The 'times' on a fishing calendar are often not far off either.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Cheers boys is a cracker of a spot. Might have to pay more attention to it from here on I think josh

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Bloody well done.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

bloody well done squire,holy shit the carry out must have resembled an all black workout!
    Sika Seeker likes this.

Nice going and that looks a great place to catch an animal out in.
    Sika Seeker likes this.

Nice pig mate. Great stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sika Seeker likes this.
    Dan M

You gotta love that type of country, especially when you have a good variety of game about, well done you deserve a beer or two.
    Sika Seeker likes this.

It's good to have variety in your diet, Mate. well done!
    Used to be a fine wine - now I'm vinegar.

Thanks mate it's definitely nice to have that mixture in the freezer

I have found that in my neck of the woods that the Fallow do the dawn/dusk thing, but the Rusa are either there or not at any time of the day or night.
    I spied 2 Rusa spikers yesterday at 7.00pm and as usual I'm without a rifle in hand, still trying to get into the habit of taking one when going up the back to check on the cows.

Well done.
    As far as solunar times go, I have not found them to be of much use to me as a hunter. A good mate swears by them so I spent years (dozens of hunts) checking the times AFTER I had gone hunting (so the knowledge of when the "good" or "bad" times were didn't affect the way I hunt). I have shot just as many animals on "bad" days as "excellent" days and "bad" times as "excellent" times.
    Just what I have found.
    veitnamcam and TLB like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Well done.
    As far as solunar times go, I have not found them to be of much use to me as a hunter. A good mate swears by them so I spent years (dozens of hunts) checking the times AFTER I had gone hunting (so the knowledge of when the "good" or "bad" times were didn't affect the way I hunt). I have shot just as many animals on "bad" days as "excellent" days and "bad" times as "excellent" times.
    Just what I have found.
    I also have found the worst days on the Moari fishing calendar to be often the best fishing.

Never paid any attention to the gps one.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Well done.
    Just what I have found.
    Shhhh it gives us a chance to get when there's no one else in the bush coz 'my gps tells me I won't see anything'!