Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Waitangi day hikoi to Back Ridge biv

Waitangi day hikoi to Back Ridge biv

It had been a while since my last solo wander in the bush, I definitely had itchy feet. So with the kids back at school the wife keen on some peace i started to think about where to go & decided that a return trip to Back ridge was in order!
    I had been here a few times before but never solo & each time it was the easy way listening to the seemingly endless number of bad jokes and riddles from our unassuming pilot.

I left the Manawatu just before 2am and arrived at the Makahu saddle carpark just before daybreak, the carpark was pretty full and i had a bit of a nap in the truck before being woken up by the sound of another car arriving!
    Lacing up my boots and shouldering my pack i started the trudge up the J, this is the highest point in the Kawekas and although its an easy walk it seems to get bigger ever year..... My fitness is not what it used to be but after a quick break & water top up @ Dominie biv i was at the summit admiring the view as there was not a single cloud in any direction.
    Name:  1.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  28.6 KB
    Name:  2.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  123.3 KB

The walk down back ridge was plain sailing, although the sun by this stage was punishing! I had drunk a fair bit of water but decided to bypass back ridge hut & its very tempting stream to get to the biv asap.
    Name:  3.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  136.8 KB

Breaking out of the beech @ the rocks ahead junction just above the biv
    Name:  4.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  131.7 KB

Looking down the ridge
    Name:  5.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  123.3 KB

Home for the next few days
    Name:  6.jpg
Views: 564
Size:  147.3 KB

Looking back from where i came from
    Name:  7.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  119.7 KB

Waiting for golden hour
    Name:  8.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  137.0 KB

Ruapehu out to the West
    Name:  9.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  25.1 KB

My humble lodgings
    Name:  10.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  27.5 KB

Main range from Maminga
    Name:  11.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  107.8 KB

Looking back towards back ridge on my way out
    Name:  12.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  124.1 KB

Was a great trip that confirmed a few things about my fitness and gear & also a hunch i've had about animal numbers in the area pre rut, I had been looking for a particular stag in the area for the last 3 years & have very recently heard that the Duleys had a go at him as well after him being spotted from the air.

I had this stag in my crosshairs on the evening of day 2 and fired at him from 460yrds out and i suspect clean missed him, everything felt good about the shot and distance wise i'm comfortable at that range.
    When i reached the area he was I hunted high and low for him or any sign of blood, I had expected to find a dead stag but found absolutely nothing........I had spent over an hour looking for him & went back the next morning to continue the search as i had replayed the shot over and over that long night in the little biv and was convinced he was hit - Hunting can be a hard pill to swallow sometimes.

The walk home was pretty uneventful, relentless sun & very little breeze!
    Empty handed but saw around 17 animals for the trip, will be back

Awesome...... and well done. A beer when back home would have been hard earned.
    We thrashed that area and Kiwi Saddle almost every weekend back in the early 80's
    We also had a club called "The Back Ridge Club" no annual fee's but every member had to do at least one "walk in" trip in there annually
    to retain their membership.
    TLB, Micky Duck, Maxx and 1 others like this.

Yes the beer tasted good!
    ha ha Mr Knight I presume?

Great report. Haven't been there since my taxi chucked it in. But I long to. Might be able to make it if I take 2 days. Would love to.
    Rod, to walk into the BR camp site (not the biv) would you do it via Lakes and Kiwi saddle or the way that Sika 8 did it.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Caretaker
    Over the top is quicker by far
    Tahr likes this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

I would have to say it’s far easier to get to camp Cottrill over the J than from the lakes, that’s a lot of nasty climbing.
    Tahr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Great report. Haven't been there since my taxi chucked it in. But I long to. Might be able to make it if I take 2 days. Would love to.
    Rod, to walk into the BR camp site (not the biv) would you do it via Lakes and Kiwi saddle or the way that Sika 8 did it.
    As the above two say..... over the top via the "J" for sure....... and talking about your flying in.... Did you use the Yellow R44 ? How about you Sika 8 ? If so, pour yourselves a whiskey and have a wee toast to her.
    She fly's no more
    Last edited by NIMROD; 12-02-2024 at 06:43 PM.

Yep used the yellow machine many times, I heard it was doing AG work now?

Quote Originally Posted by Sika 8 View Post
    Yep used the yellow machine many times, I heard it was doing AG work now?
    The new owner used it as a lease machine, and it was totalled recently during takeoff. Luckily the machine was the only casualty.

Mean. Well done on getting back there. Climbing high early - super hot. Shame bout' the stag. Hopefully it will be there during the roar
    Sika 8 likes this.

Oh what a bugger, Chris will be gutted as he loved that machine!

I have flown with him a few times since the closure of EKH, doing volunteer work with the BCT.
    Name:  IMG_2490.jpeg
Views: 503
Size:  4.08 MB

The bugger even buzzed me in his gyrocopter once �� I heard he lands at Otutu in it!
    Name:  IMG_2529.jpeg
Views: 479
Size:  560.8 KB
    outdoorlad, Ned and NIMROD like this.

Caretaker
    I looked down on back ridge hut yesterday morning

Just take your time one foot after the other and you run out of hill to climb soon enough

Avoid the heat of the day

An early start in the dark is wise
    Tahr, BRADS, stagstalker and 1 others like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Quote Originally Posted by NIMROD View Post
    As the above two say..... over the top via the "J" for sure....... and talking about your flying in.... Did you use the Yellow R44 ? How about you Sika 8 ? If so, pour yourselves a whiskey and have a wee toast to her.
    She fly's no more
    That was the one. Many times - like a lot of others.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

excellent!

Brings back memories. You've got to beat the feet in there to truly appreciate it.
    NIMROD and Sika 8 like this.