Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree27Likes
  • 23 Post By ShortStuff
  • 1 Post By Trout
  • 1 Post By Mooseman
  • 1 Post By Rusky

Thread: Walkabout

Walkabout

So went for my first walkabout for 2023 yesterday. Goal for the day was to try and find a clearing I had been told about.

Up I was at zero dark thirty like most trips and quick stop at the local for a coffee and a pie before leaving and an hour and a half later I was in the area driving to my spot. As I pulled into the gravel road, off to the left about 10m up, there were two small, very young hinds in my headlights and I began thinking to myself "That'd be right, the only ones i'll see for the trip now..." In a split second, off they ran down the road and up the bank. I'll see you two in a year.

Still dark on arrival and about 10mins until sunrise, I made sure my kit was good to go, bang stick in check and off we trudged up an old grown over 4x4 track. Still being relatively dark and not making too much of an effort to be a ninja, no more than 200m into the track I hear crashing up ahead and off the side. "Great, the theme of the day" I thought to myself.

Little while later I found my exit and ducked off the track however had to change my plans due to the wind. After slowly hunting a couple of guts over the next 3 or so hours and with a change in wind yet again I decided to make a beeline for the general area of the clearing, however that turned into more of a mission than I had thought. The rain and windfall damage was more than I had thought and due to the crashing and falling, I knew whatever deer were in the area, were no longer there.

Finally down to the river and up the other side, I managed to stumble on a good sized wallow. A tiny bit of sign but I marked it down and will revisit closer to the roar.

After another 40mins and clambering up the side of a steep hill, FINALLY, I located the clearing and by jingo's, what a beauty of a spot. The clearing was massive and the photo I took didn't quite do it justice. By this stage it was noon and stinking hot so didn't expect to see anything, not to mention the wind was all over the place. So after a quick stop to eat, I went in to investigate the area. ALOT of sign, very fresh from that morning.

With the area marked, I was off back to the truck. Down a gut and towards the river and I had a massive slip about 15m down to the bottom. Thankfully nothing injured, nothing broken and nothing lost. Quick check over and decided to take another route out. Much longer but much safer given the recent conditions. So what would have been an hour walk out, turned into 2 1/2 but I'd take that any day over not going home to the family.

After 9 or so hours and roughly 10km later, I was back at the truck. Safe, uninjured, no deer and a bunch of new areas to come back to for an overnighter. All in all, it was a great day out. The goal was to find the clearing which I had done so, found a wallow and good hunting area for the roar. Here's to the next trip.

ShortStuff
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    7mmsaum, Tahr, Trout and 20 others like this.

Nice area,youv done the hard work.Now narrow the time down and set yr self up for a evening watch n wait.Carry two head lamps and spare batterys.Yr next trip could be a late evening walk home or just camp the night there.Good luck.
    ShortStuff likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Trout View Post
    Nice area,youv done the hard work.Now narrow the time down and set yr self up for a evening watch n wait.Carry two head lamps and spare batterys.Yr next trip could be a late evening walk home or just camp the night there.Good luck.
    Yeah mate that's the plan. Found a good spot to camp not too far from the clearing. Should be a good wee spot to keep tucked away.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohawk .308 View Post
    Nice looking clearing alright, be a great spot to do an over nighter
    Yeah man for sure, not too far from your neck of the woods actually but not Sika country.

Very nice spot should be some action around the roar.
    ShortStuff likes this.

Love missions like these (reconnaissance). Sooner or later the hunter bumps into the hunted and it all pays off.
    ShortStuff likes this.