Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: The week that was roar 2023.....

A good read Danny,yr mate would enjoy shooting his stag.Well done .
    Now the next evening hunt?
    dannyb likes this.

That afternoon we made the decision to hunt on foot around to the saddle at the head of the valley Ant shot his stag on, we had a late lunch finishing the bbq chicken, slaw baguettes etc had a hot brew then donned day packs before proceeding on foot to the planned glassing spot.
    Didn't really expect to see much after shooting the stag the afternoon before but we had a week and didn't want to scent the place up on the first 2 days.

Name:  received_1378252139383129.jpeg
Views: 226
Size:  261.1 KB
    our view at the head of the valley

We didn't see anything but were happy enough with the evenings activities, we sat glassing till light faded before walking back to camp for ambrosia pudding and a couple cans of Speights ultra whilst discussing plans for Sunday.
    On Sunday we decided to glass from the opposite side of the valley to the first night, again the idea of not travelling around too much scenting the block up. We were up before sun rise on what was a cold but much less windy night, I still struggled for sleep but nothing a quick coffee wouldn't fix.
    We donned day packs with a few snacks and water on board, grabbed rifles, bino bivvys and walking sticks and headed out on foot around the head of the valley to look back at the opposite face. We found a suitable glassing spot just as the sky began to lighten and set about picking the terrain apart with our binos, of note still only heard the odd distant roar the previous evening with no roaring on our block at all.
    Again no animals seen so we beat the feet back to camp for a late lunch of home kill beef sausages in flatbread wraps with cheese bacon and chilli sauce.

Name:  20230325_180617.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  5.13 MB
    view from the mornings glassing spot, no deer seen but no place I'd rather be

The weather forcast was for strong wind rain, sleet and snow up high from late Sunday night. so after late lunch we packed up camp and headed down off the tops to some more sheltered real estate, although we would be fine in the cold and rain the tracks are a bit pucker inducing in good conditions let alone with snow and slippery mud etc, so it was an easy decision to move down to the lower country.
    Last edited by dannyb; 02-04-2023 at 03:29 PM.
    Micky Duck, thejamesjames and RV1 like this.
    #DANNYCENT

With camp set up on the low country we made our way to another face I've had success on in the past, we hunkered down amongst the Manuka scrub to help keep us concealed, as the afternoon sun dipped behind the hills we saw a group of 4 hinds followed by a stag emerge accross the ridge opposite us, they were on the move heading for the scrub but stopped short of the tree line long enough for a quick range, 340yards, I dialed up the correction on the scope and set my mate Lee up behind the 30-06ai giving him last second advice about point of aim before pushing my ear plugs in and telling him to shoot when he was comfortable. The report rang out and the stag froze before running off, a clean miss fortunately and on checking, whilst Lee was trying to get comfortable behind the rifle he had in advertantly dialed the scope back to the zero stop thinking he had bumped it.... oh well at least it was a clean miss. No photos as it was too dark but this face will feature again later in the week.

Dinner was sausages, chicken tenders and slaw in wraps before a couple of cold speights and bed, we intended to watch a different face Monday morning after putting a shot over the face we watched that afternoon, so alarms set for pre dawn for another early start.

Tired eyes emerged from tents, although greatful the weather hadn't turned yet, quick coffee then off to the glassing spot not far from camp, only got 1 pic of that face, but someone put a very pretty firearm in the way so apologies about that

Name:  20230330_075446.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  3.81 MB
    the mornings glassing face with a very pretty rifle in the way !

Anyways, by around 9am nothing seen and sun starting to heat up and we thought deer will be heading for cover during the warmer part of the morning, just then I took a look up the hill way above where we were glassing and to my amazement there where what I assume was the 4 hinds and stag from last night. They hinds were feeding in the open but also moving at a steady pace accross the face with the stag following. Quick range check confirmed 975 yards a bit far for a long tricky uphill shot, so after quick discussion we grabbed the tripod, rifles, and range finder then almost ran up hill out of sight of the group of deer to try and close the gap to get Lee a second chance, the stag wasn't huge but again looked to be a 10pt but still not as big as my pb 10pt hence we wanted to let Lee have a crack at redemption.
    We crested the ridge puffing and panting and it became apparent the deer were aware of our presence, we were still 680yards away but at a higher elevation so even though the deer were still higher than us it wasn't such an incline between us and the deer like it was where we first spotted them from.
    With the deer aware of us the hinds in particular were looking very nervous ears up, looking in our direction and making there way towards the ridgeline and cover, whilst the stag seemed a bit more relaxed went on feeding but also regularly looking in our direction.
    It became clear we were pinned down and any further movement in their direction would likely result in the hinds bolting and the stag following them.
    Lee asked if I would take the shot as he was still nervous after last nights miss and as a novice no way should he attempt a shot at 680yards. I said I wouldn't be that comfortable shooting an animal at that range with a fairly new rifle I was still getting comfortable with, so Ant offered to shoot it for him, as previously mentioned Ant has competed in long range shooting matches and is very comfortable with his huntng rifle so we got the tripod set up and did double check on the range whilst Ant got comfortable kneeling behind the tripod, when he was ready I confirmed the range again then Ant put on a show of truly good marksmanship slotting the 180gn eldm neatly behind the front leg for a perfect double lung shot off his knees on an awkward uphill shot. The hinds bolted over the ridge whilst the stag ran about 40yards downhill before doing a little wobble dance then cartwheeling another 40yards before piling up on a bit of scrub dead as a dead thing.
    Fortunately the stag piled up about 50 yards above a disused track so we took the landcruiser up and then rolled the stag down to the relatively flat track. Although unable to take the shot this was Lee's last day with us so Ant gave him the stag as he had already shot 1 and Ant and me still had a few days left to try find me 1.

Name:  20230327_130417.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  5.57 MB
    looking up hill to where Ant pulled off an amazing kneeling 680yard shot the stag was right up at the top of the highest point on the left just below the scrub, we made our way up to where the track first dissappears that is where the shot was taken from

Name:  20230327_095525.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  7.74 MB
    Lee with the stag Ant shot for him

Name:  20230327_111132.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  2.81 MB
    From left to right me, Ant and Lee

Name:  20230327_111326.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  2.78 MB
    Thirsty work we had a couple lunch beers before bidding farewell to Lee
    Last edited by dannyb; 01-04-2023 at 04:01 PM.
    #DANNYCENT

Stay tuned more to come....
    #DANNYCENT

Bloody good read Danny,enjoy the sharing of the veni around.Good stuff.
    Micky Duck and dannyb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    Stay tuned more to come....
    jeez your a tease
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    jeez your a tease
    Alot of stuff happened....more to come
    Micky Duck and ROKTOY like this.
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    Alot of stuff happened....more to come
    Danny, some things that happen on tour....remember. LOL

Great right up so far Mr B

So the weather that was meant to come through Sunday night was definitely coming through late Monday, we bid farewell to Lee after dropping the second stag at the butcher, then Ant and I packed our tents as well as Ant had prior commitments with his kids and for me the idea of spending 2 days confined in a tent whilst it hailed, sleeted and snowed seemed silly when I could go home have a shower and sleep in my warm bed. The block is only 10 minutes from my door so I can pop up for first and last light hunts if the weather allows.
    So that is exactly what I did, Tuesday was an absolute write off with white out conditions and snow up high so I had a day off.
    On Wednesday another good mate Hamish joined me and despite the weather we went up for first light and last light stake out missions, now I've spent enough time glassing in unfavorable conditions so dressed appropriately, many layers, down jacket, soft shell jacket then waterproof outers and gloves.
    We sat on our chosen clearing and almost immediately I saw the back end of a red hind at 457yards on closer inspection 4 more hinds appeared, I figured with this many hinds there must be a stag present so got setup behind the ackley and waited for the stag to show himself.
    Alas it was not meant to be and the skies opened up unleashing first rain and then hail, the hinds made a hastey retreat into the scrub, and soon after we did the same I was warm and dry but my scope was wet and almost like looking through a coke bottle even if the rain stopped.
    I also felt sorry for Hamish as he was quite damp and cold, not that he'd ever admit it
    Oh well back out that afternoon same clearing slightly better weather and Hamish slightly more appropriately dressed we sat down and started glassing, it was cold and windy with the odd light shower but within minutes we located a group of hinds bedded down in the scrub only partially visible as the rain got more persistent and cold the hinds gradually moved further into the scrub until none could be seen.
    Thursday was meant to be my last day and the weather was meant to be spot on, cold but clear skies, Hamish my Dad and I crept up early to try and relocate the yesterdays hinds and hopefully acompanying stag.....alas they must have had other plans as we never saw them again.
    Feeling a little dejected we walked back to the truck from there we could see a clearing I have known to hold a large stag or 2 in the past and decided I would give it the old once over with the binos before heading home for lunch.....this is where things got interesting for me....
    Even though 1000yards away I could see a large bodied red stag with heavy antlers then whilst watching he arched his neck and let out a long bellowing roar followed by a couple sharp grunts, this was the first roar we'd heard on our block and I started to get a little excited.
    I lined the Lupo up on the tripod and dialed it up to 12x to get a better look and to show my dad who has never seen a wild roaring red stag. After Hamish also had a look I asked Hamish.... "should we ?" almost immediately his response came "f#@$ oath" the stag was strutting around roaring but generally not moving much this was his spot and he was telling everyone. This was by far the biggest stag I have ever seen in the wild but it would not be easy, we could cut the distance to a 300yards with the truck but we would have a steep exposed climb to get close enough for a shot....it was on !
    We started heading towards the face the stag was on when we came across a group of 15 trampers on the 4x4 track.....now I've had this week booked for nearly 12 months and was the only person with permission to be there so I was completely dumbfounded, I asked them what they were up to and one of the trampers showed me a toppo map on his phone and told me "oh where just heading a couple ridges over up to the top then back out the other side" I said I don't think you'll be doing that I've got this block booked for the week, who gave you permission to be up here ? The man was adamant he had permission and was quite insistant that he and his group would be continuing up the hill right through all the country we intended to hunt. At this point my patience was starting to wear thin, I asked him again who gave you permission and what's his number ? We have reception so I'll ring him and get to the bottom of this. The man gave me a name I've never heard associated with this block the proceeded to give me his number all the time assuring me they had permission to be there. I rang the number and spoke to the man on the other end explaining where I was, who's land I was on and the predicament with the trampers, the man was really polite but insisted he had not given them permission to be there as that was not his land ! These trampers were on the wrong bloody block with that I told them they needed to leave immediately, the lead tramper still wanted to continue, he even stated we've been coming up here for years, I told him "well you've been trespassing for years you need to leave immediately, we are hunting this block and for everyones saftey you need to leave now. Begrudgingly the group turned back and left, leaving us a little bewildered but we didn't have anymore time to waste we had a stag to find !
    We closed the distance and left Dad at the truck, as even though fit for his age this would be a tough steep climb for a couple young guys let alone a man in his mid 70s, I think Dad was quietly relieved. We could still hear the stag roaring and grunting above us....amazing what that sound will do to your motivation.
    Hamish and I got light carrying 1 rifle, 1 knife and a hill stick between us so we could move quickly and quietly up the steep undulating face, it was mostly open tussock with the odd matagouri and Manuka scrub. We began the grind up hill my feet felt light no doubt due to the adrenaline coursing through my body.
    I picked some grass seeds and dropped them watching which way they floated to the ground confirming the wind direction, the wind was coming accross us and very slightly in our face but we could work with it, I will point out a this stage due to the cold weather I was still wearing long trousers and waterproof pants over that and a merino long sleeve thermal, fleecey shirt and lined soft shell, never the less we crept up the face only moving immediately after each roar so to be exactly sure of the stags location before breaking cover and creeping to the next bit of cover.
    There was sign everywhere old and fresh it was evident this stag had been on this face for a while, we were getting close being careful to keep the wind in our favour as best we could with each roar I looked back at Hamish he looked as excited as I felt.
    Then I saw the stag 40 yards maybe less his front end obscured by a tree but back end clearly visible, I silently chambered a round in the Lupo made sure I was wound back to 2 power and the fire dot was working.
    The whole way up we had been silent as the stag was making plenty of noise for us to locate him without the need to risk spooking him with our amateur roaring.
    Then the unthinkable happened......I had the sling wrapped around my left forearm shouldered the rifle as we broke cover I felt wind on my neck the wind had switched and I watched the stag silently trot off into the scrub never to be seen again, at this stage I let out a soft moan hoping it might be enough to prompt him to come back but he went totally silent. All my adrenaline dumped we sat down while I unloaded the rifle and explained to Hamish what had gone wrong. So damn close !!!!! But what a rush, I've never stalked a roaring stag before and even though unsuccessful I was still buzzing and so was Hamish. We sat for a couple minutes silently hoping the stag might come back but nothing more was heard or seen so we started the careful decent down the steep slippery slope back to the truck. By the time we got back I was absolutely cooking with all my layers so I ditched the thermals and waterproof pants and took on about a litre of water whilst we regaled my father about what had just transpired.
    Sorry no pics but I think the story tells it pretty well.......
    More to come tomorrow stay tuned
    Last edited by dannyb; 01-04-2023 at 10:32 PM.
    Moa Hunter and RV1 like this.
    #DANNYCENT

A good read Danny,having those trampers there would get you boiling.
    Good climb to the stag,maybe in the next few weeks youl met up with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Trout View Post
    A good read Danny,having those trampers there would get you boiling.
    Good climb to the stag,maybe in the next few weeks youl met up with him.
    I was doing my level best to stay calm unfortunately I'm unlikely to catch up with the stag as the block is booked out solid till end of April i may get 1 chance 3rd week of April but that's all dependent on no one else getting him and me having the time off to join my mates booking....will just have to wait and see.
    bigbear likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

Now you may remember Thursday was meant to be my last day on the block it was only my Dad, Hamish and I as Ant had prior engagements, we couldn't get out Thursday afternoon as i had an appointment with my eldest son i had to keep.
    I spoke to the lease holder and asked if we could possibly have 1 more day.....he obliged and i let Ant and Hamish know we were on for pre-dawn adventures and 1 last crack at a roaring red stag

The alarm buzzed at 4am, not that i could sleep soon enough the lads arrived, thermus of hot coffee in hand we trundled up in the darkness to our chosen destination parked the trucks and proceeded a short sharp 15 minute walk up hill to sit on a vantage point that would give us opportunities in all directions (for the last day i wanted to have all options available no matter the wind direction) the weather was mild and clear as we sat waiting for sunrise the still darkness interrupted by the occasional distant roar. We didn't know it yet but today would also be filled with excitement, disappointment and relief

Name:  20230331_071031.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  1.18 MB
    waiting in the pre dawn stillness full of anticipation
    Last edited by dannyb; 02-04-2023 at 12:07 PM.
    thejamesjames likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

As the sun revealed the sparsely covered scrubby faces around us we got to work picking apart the countryside looking for a sign of anything worth investigating. The odd roar still bellowing out breaking the silence and peaking our interest.
    Now Hamish was first to crack, by his own admission he hates sitting still for long periods so after breif discussion about keeping low and side hilling around the knob we were glassing from rather than walking accross the top and skylining himself, Hamish moved around the opposite side to Ant and I to glass faces we couldn't see and also have a bit of a stretch.
    It was approximately 0830hrs Ant and me had been hearing a few guttural roars coming from a wee way off but they were getting more frequent and louder so we dedicated a few minutes glassing that direction which consequently was not far from the boundary fence, still a good 900-1000 yards from our location and up hill.
    After a couple more roars the stag appeard only 100 or so yards on the wrong side of the boundary fence, he was BIG thick neck heavy antlers and a solid dark body. I looked at Ant and said....."we're not here to f $#@ spiders ! lets close the gap and see if we can roar him in onto our side of the fence"
    After short discussion we agreed Ant should let out a roar from our concealed location and watch the stags response, the stag looked straight in our direction and bellowed out an agressive response closing ground towards our block
    We grabbed our day packs, rifles and hill sticks and dropped elevation so as to conceal our movement from the stag.
    We signalled Hamish to follow us as we rounded the knob, Hamish had also heard the stag and was quickly on our heels.
    We gained elevation and closed the gap before using the undulating terrain to our advantage getting ourselves within 300 yards of the boundary fence and using the Manuka scrub to help mask our location.
    The stag still roaring had a few hinds with him but was closer not far off the boundary fence now, still breathing heavy from the near sprint up hill I fumbled around quietly gettng the rifle set up confirming range of a couple land marks on our side of the fence when disaster struck I inadvertently whilst trying to catch my breath inhaled some kind of flying insect, larger than a sand fly but smaller than a fly, I suspect it was some kind of wee moth disturbed by us shifting about in the tussock.
    I was already lined up looking at the stag when this happened, Ant had been instructed as soon as I was set up to start roaring to try and entice the stag in.....I couldn't breath the winged critter in my throat was making me gag and cough uncontrollably I tried as best I could to muffle my choking but a reasonable stag unbeknownst to me that was just below us spooked and ran off in the direction of the big stag in the process spooking him and about 6 hinds. I was absolutely devestated, still coughing and gagging trying to wash the deviled bug in my throat out with gulps of water....we all sat silent for a couple minutes, no one said anything I think the anguish on my face probably expressed my frustration better than any words I could've mustered up.
    After a few minutes passed we packed up and started heading back down hill to our original possie, tails firmly between legs feeling quite dejected and not being particularly stealthy, talking, venting and walking out in the open skylined at times... we decided to sit on the edge of the 4x4 track a little higher up from our original glassing spot for a couple minutes and have a bit of a look over the face opposite us.
    I have to admit after all the noise we made getting back down I gave the face opposite a very casual going over with the binos as I was almost certain any animals over there woukd have seen and heard us and scapered long ago, I put my binos back in their bivvy in disgust when Hamish casually quipped "why dont you just shoot that deer over there" he was so casual about it I was sure he was pulling my leg. I scoffed at him "yeah right what bloody deer" he insisted I got my binos out saying "it's right there I can see it with my naked eye" I got my binos back out and sure enough there standing on a clearing looking straight at us was a fat red spiker.
    I watched him for about 20 seconds whilst he stared in our direction just waiting for him to spook, instead he put his head down and went back to feeding. Right action stations 11th hour on the final day I ranged the spiker at 400yards, I got the Lupo set up on the davros head on my tripod as we were sitting on a steep ledge on the side of the track, ol spiker occasionally looked up but was more interested in filling his guts with grass, I dialed 6.5 moa after checking my dope turned to power ring round to 12x on the vx6 and waited for a shot.
    The spiker was facing us ever so slightly quatering towards us, what the footage doesn't show very well is we are quite a bit higher than him in elevation. Anyway I chambered a round and as the spiker put his head down for another feed of grass I sent the 168gn eldm on it's way. I have to say at this point everytime I fire this rifle I am amazed at the lack of recoil the reduction system in the Lupo is so effective and teamed up with a DPT suppressor even shooting heavy for caliber pills the recoil is like a 223 and quiet.
    I was able to watch the spiker hit high on his left side behind his shoulder, he skittled down hill into the scrub below him dead.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TU5eM70s6fc

We made our way around to the track conveniently about 200ish yards above where the spiker dropped, set up the trucks and snatch block again and started making our way down the steep face towards the scrub the spiker piled up into, we found the spot where the spiker had been standing evident by fresh scrape marks left as he toppled down the hill, we followed these down into the native scrub where the spiker was laying expired.
    I stroked his red coat and thanked him for his life, then set about securing him to the rope and signalling to the lads to start winching. I stayed with the deer manouvering it around a few trees making sure it didn't get hooked up on anything and after a couple resets we had the spiker up on the track with minimal fuss.

Name:  20230331_101055.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  7.74 MB
    a bit steep in here !

Name:  20230331_101906.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  3.59 MB
    on the way up

Name:  20230331_110638.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  2.24 MB
    nearly at the top

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uJe0mkNKqwo

We found a shady spot and I hastily got to work with the knife expecting to find a ruptured gut, the shot looked a little high and far back but in fact the gut cavity was completely intact, the organ cavity though was full of blood but came out easily with a few slices of my trusty knife.

We loaded the spiker onto the back of the truck and I removed his head and hung it in a tree, then threw the gut bag off the track down hill into the scrub.

Name:  20230331_114819.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  2.16 MB

Name:  20230331_115641.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  2.16 MB

All in all another heathy animal retrieved whole and off to the butcher for processing into yummy steak.

What can I say first animal with the Lupo so the wolf has been fed, first animal shot off the tripod very happy with that setup it opens more options for longer shots that cannot be taken prone for whatever reason.
    A week of highs and lows and memories that won't fade any time soon, sure I would have been thrilled to take a trophy red home but for me this trip and the memories will be a trophy for years to come. If you got this far thanks for sharing my trip, I hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed telling you all.
    The meat harvested from the 3 deer taken will feed 4 families and hopefully light a spark of excitement in 2 new hunters that joined me.
    What can I say.....its been a week
    Last edited by dannyb; 02-04-2023 at 12:17 PM.
    Tahr, Mooseman, Moa Hunter and 9 others like this.
    #DANNYCENT

Thank you very much for a great detailed hunt.Good memories with good friends.
    Enjoy your venison,maybe next year for the big boy.
    dannyb likes this.