Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Black Watch


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 40 of 40
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: This what its all about...

  1. #31
    Member Rusky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    683
    Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    Mate. I have to drive 3.5 hours minimum to get to my spots and I am yet to shoot a deer. Fallow 5 minutes from home would be a dream
    Your driving too far. Try the kaimais near Matamata. It's a 2 hour drive.

  2. #32
    Member Rusky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    683
    Thar, I'm liking your enthusiasm but for god sakes shoot them at a respectable time of day when there is still enough light to butcher and carry out.
    Tahr likes this.

  3. #33
    Member Dundee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Way East of D'Vagas
    Posts
    16,311
    Well done Tahr ,I haven't been near "Snee" rd since before Easter but my last three reds came from the Ruahine Range on public land and fluked a couple on the Manawatu river as it was a mad dash back home to get the rifle.
    Tahr likes this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

    tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

  4. #34
    Member Tahr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    NI
    Posts
    6,347
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundee View Post
    Well done Tahr ,I haven't been near "Snee" rd since before Easter but my last three reds came from the Ruahine Range on public land and fluked a couple on the Manawatu river as it was a mad dash back home to get the rifle.
    @Dundee Great that you are getting some time to yourself for hunt .That's cool that they were on the river. They are getting to be all all over the shop, eh. There's plenty around Snee Rd except where you go is getting popular. Ive seen it on a couple of YouTube hunting vids recently.
    Dundee likes this.

  5. #35
    Member Tahr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    NI
    Posts
    6,347
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusky View Post
    Thar, I'm liking your enthusiasm but for god sakes shoot them at a respectable time of day when there is still enough light to butcher and carry out.
    @Rusky Ive always been a bugger for hunting 'til dark and getting out late. Quite enjoy it. The modern head torches are great, and Ive always got my PLB on my belt. Always let one of my lads know where I am and what Im up to too.
    Rusky and Micky Duck like this.

  6. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Jafa land
    Posts
    3,668
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusky View Post
    Your driving too far. Try the kaimais near Matamata. It's a 2 hour drive.
    I have never had any success bush stalking them. Been up wairere and te tuhi.

    Will try te aroha or a few spots around there.

    Been plenty of times in my spots where I could have shot but didn't know the range so let them go. That's no longer an issue as I bought a range finder. So now it's just an issue of getting out hunting.

  7. #37
    Member Rusky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    683
    Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    I have never had any success bush stalking them. Been up wairere and te tuhi.

    Will try te aroha or a few spots around there.

    Been plenty of times in my spots where I could have shot but didn't know the range so let them go. That's no longer an issue as I bought a range finder. So now it's just an issue of getting out hunting.
    All those spots have deer. Perseverance is key. If you get a deer there 1 out of 3 trips then your doing good.

  8. #38
    Member madmaori's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Hawkes bay
    Posts
    530
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    @Dundee Great that you are getting some time to yourself for hunt .That's cool that they were on the river. They are getting to be all all over the shop, eh. There's plenty around Snee Rd except where you go is getting popular. Ive seen it on a couple of YouTube hunting vids recently.
    Nice work yet again @Tahr!
    Each time i go in there im seeing more and more people-it must be included in one of those spot x books or something. Have heard that one of the bivy's features on a youtube video-yet to see it myself though and can't find the video.
    Tahr likes this.
    Bay Tyres-Driving the best deal since ages ago

  9. #39
    Member Micky Duck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Geraldine
    Posts
    4,676
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusky View Post
    All those spots have deer. Perseverance is key. If you get a deer there 1 out of 3 trips then your doing good.
    man I remember the 80s where if you SPOOKED a deer every third trip you thought you were doing really well....
    Steelisreal likes this.

  10. #40
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    667
    Nice! Made me want to go straight out. Unfortunately, nothing in season here now...
    Tahr likes this.

 

 

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!