Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By No.3

Thread: 10ft tinny

10ft tinny

Just bought one mostly in the hope to take my young fella fishing, but there's been alot of times it'd have paid of to have one duckhunting and I live in a place you can get to a few sneaky hunting spots so all in all pretty excited for my first boat.

It's got no outboard on it at the moment and I'm not really sure what to go for. 2.5 HP seems the go but the fella before said he was running a 12hp one , maybe overkill maybe fun?

What's the thoughts from the pros?

6hp merc 4 stroke will see you hooning along at 25kmph with ease and will use bugger all fuel.
    we had one on a 13ft tinny for years,super reliable easy start no fuss motors.
    No.3 likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Yep, lighter the better but need more than a 2.5... also make sure you fit a decent safety rope, they like to try and escape...
    madjon_ likes this.

I used to run a old suzuki 8hp on mine and it would get it up on the plane with two big lads...

8hp would be ideal... I run a 15merc on mine and it flies. But thats probably too big

8hp Yamaha 2 stroke,what all the South Island whitebaiters use,good reliable engine,I run a 9.8 tohatsu on my 12ft parkercraft but usually has a lot of weight carrying me,2 dogs,25decoys and 135kg hunting mate and we just get off the plane,with just me and my gear ,1 dog get along well.the tohatsu is only 27kg,going up to a 15hp gets in the 40kg range,I had a 18hp tohatsu on the boat at one time but it was scary fast .