Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By m101a1
  • 5 Post By XR500

Thread: 2 stroke vs 4 stroke outboard. 5-8 hp range

2 stroke vs 4 stroke outboard. 5-8 hp range

With a successful sea trial the time has come to look at outboard options for my 2.6m inflatable

Currently using a 3hp 2 stroke which works but in sub optimal conditions doesn't cut it.

There's a low run hour 4 stroke evinrude 5hp with a tote tank, fuel line and stand for 600 which i think is a great deal.

I suppose the question is, is a 2 stroke any better in this hp range? As far as I can see the 2 stroke is lighter but noisier, uses more fuel and are all old.

I will be removing the motor every time as I dont have a trailer nor a suitable car to tow it with. At the moment i empty my work van and beach launch it.

cheers

look for a 8hp yammy 2str , they perform way better than you would think save your back and no fancy storage needed as no sump oil and get the smaller 12lt tank for room in boat .

How many hours do you intend to use the motor yearly?

A 2 stroke is vastly less finicky over storage, irregular use, maintenance costs etc etc.

The 2 stroke isn't that much noisier than a 4 stroke of that size.

Taking it on and off regularly, you will appreciate the lighter 2 stroke.

An 'old' 2 stroke may still only have a hundred hours on it, so decades worth of use still left.
    Maca49, Woody, Micky Duck and 2 others like this.

Follow up question. How likely am I to be able to swap the prop from an auxiliary pushing pitch to one that'll somewhat plane?

Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    How many hours do you intend to use the motor yearly?

A 2 stroke is vastly less finicky over storage, irregular use, maintenance costs etc etc.

The 2 stroke isn't that much noisier than a 4 stroke of that size.

Taking it on and off regularly, you will appreciate the lighter 2 stroke.

An 'old' 2 stroke may still only have a hundred hours on it, so decades worth of use still left.
    Mostly intend to use it when my mate who owns a boat doesn't want to go but conditions are good. I'd say probably 50-100 run hours a year, once I find a good spot i usually sit there til they go off the bite.

Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    Follow up question. How likely am I to be able to swap the prop from an auxiliary pushing pitch to one that'll somewhat plane?
    With heat and a big Crescent
    Last edited by Maca49; 23-10-2023 at 11:59 AM.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

changing prop is easy..just buy different pitch model.
    we had a 6hp mercury 4 stroke on the 13 ft tinny for years....awesome wee motor and mate did we abuse the hell out of it. some huge loads at duckshooting time and she just chugged along and got us there,never gave any issues...would push boat along well and plane if flying solo. top speed of close to 30kmph
    kids left home,bit of spare $$ and 2 stroke 15hp merc comes up for sale for under 2k..we onsold the wee 6 for over half that!!!! after 15 years of use n abuse.
    wife n I get up to lake with the 2 big dogs in boat,we lauch from ramp,putter out into lake past marker bouy,point out into lake and I open throttle a bit and pop it up onto plane..Mrs eyes pop out of head in shock "why did we fuck around with small motor for so long??" she says laughing...
    goes good aye I reply....then twist throttle right open..she nearly poops jeans as boat rockets forward to 40kmph
    duckshooting loaded to gunnels..4 people,drums of decoys,packs etc...get out onto lake,I twist throttle and the bitch pops up onto plane...farkin scarey having big weight like that up balancing so dropped it back into water and chugged along.
    2 stroke is lighter,4 stroke SLIGHTLY quieter and less fumey if trolling.... go up in HP and fuel burn goes up noticably.....(dont believe stories of "someone" having to row boat back for last load of gear first duck season with new motor,then draining dregs from chainsaw to get back to boat ramp)... the bigger HP is great if wind comes up and need to boogie into safety quickly,it also means we skip over waves instead of surf along them...
    75/15/10 black powder matters