Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 5 Post By JoshC
  • 1 Post By No.3
  • 1 Post By silentscope

Thread: 2015+ Hilux front recovery/tie down points

2015+ Hilux front recovery/tie down points

I see debate about using the front loops for recovery. Just wondering about real experience. They are beefy and welded through on the other side on a decent part of front frame. It looks like the bolt on certified ones come off the same frame. I’ll use a bridle strop to share the load. I see people online with mixed opinions so just interested if people have actually used and any issues?Name:  4B4905F2-658E-4057-9475-D5D611EC894F.jpeg
Views: 483
Size:  2.25 MB

I have used already to pull out an old pontoon stuck tight in a pond no problem. It looks to me like the frame would bend before they would break or pull hence the question. This is not a use every weekend either - just if needed now and then.

They’re not rated. Bolt on ones are. BUT, I’ve seen both fail. I have bolt ons on my Landcruiser, for the simple fact they are better rated and lower profile.

What scares me most are the people who snatch or try and tow out stuck vehicles using the tow ball

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    They’re not rated. Bolt on ones are. BUT, I’ve seen both fail. I have bolt ons on my Landcruiser, for the simple fact they are better rated and lower profile.

What scares me most are the people who snatch or try and tow out stuck vehicles using the tow ball

I have no time at all for those people may as well play Russia roulette with a handgun
    I haven't seen a bolt on one ripped off yet I guess it depends on the bolts used a bit

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

I prefer the bolt on and rated recovery points. Knowing what's going to shear or snap first makes a recovery safer.
    That's not to say that you will not break a recovery point, but I'd then be asking questions as to why the recovery point was the weakest link in the chain.
    Over time there is a chance the welds on the factory tie down points will start to rust out, and you will not know until you load them up. At least with a bolt on recovery point, you can disassemble and check / replace.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post

A guy died in Australia a few weeks ago from just this.

It's not just the towball, if you are using a drop hitch that's loose in the tow bar receiver that's a fail point potentially as well - a lot of aftermarket shackle fittings that are designed to slot into the towbar receiver and be secured by the pin are as loose as a goose as well. People swing off them in all sorts of directions and wonder why the pins get crimped and the receiver tubes bent all out of sorts...

The safest option is a direct pull, which isn't always possible but surging with solid recovery gear off angle from a direct pull is a very good way to fail things. Crap technique I'm convinced is 99% of the root cause of the failures and while not ideal hanging off the towball for a recovery can be done safely - with the appropriate care. If you are going to animal things and charge like a rhino with your eyes closed and a bee stinging your arse then things are going to break, it doesn't matter how tough they are just a matter of finding the weak points in the system.
    Micky Duck likes this.

I looked at my mates 2013 Hilux today and they are definitely not as robust at the later model Hilux I have. His were Partly welded on (not through) and the frame doesn’t look as big.

I have a proper pin and soft shackles if pulling from the rear

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    A guy died in Australia a few weeks ago from just this.
    i remember a fella getting his landcruiser yanked out of the hopkins by his towhitch haha
    223nut likes this.

You need to use a balance strop between the 2 front recovery points. Otherwise the chassis will bend. Never pull out from just 1 side.

Use a balance strop and a soft shackle to connect to your tow strop
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh