Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: 4 feet 8 1/2 inches

Brilliant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll tell you what's stupid. Queensland and Nsw in oz dont have a proper connecting rail link between states as they run different gauges.
    If you want to run it by rail it has to be swapped to different rolling stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_H View Post
    It is certainly cheaper constructing tunnels for a narrower gauge....

Cheers
    Phil
    The hole for the train is the same size. The gauge is just the gap between the wheels. What makes it cheaper?

Sent from my E6533 using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam and Steve123 like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by 2post View Post
    Have a look at a map of England, all the towns are about 20 miles from each other.
    That as far as a horse could walk in a day.
    Nz is very similar
    2post likes this.

The famous engineer of engineers Brunel designed railways with a broader gauge.

Just think of what better trains we could have nowadays if it had been adopted everywhere. No more walking sideways through a train.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broad-gauge_railway
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    Ahhh, the boogies flex and turn depending on the curve of the track. The actual length of the loco doesn't really make a lot of difference, but the curve radius minimum amounts are a factor of the distance between the rails, the taper of the wheel's face or tyre surface which gives the tracking ability of the wheelsets around the curve (as they slide to the outside the contact diameter adjusts so that the outside wheel is effectively greater diameter and travels faster to make the curve). It's that fact that allows the narrow gauge to have tighter curves. There's a gauge one size narrower in NZ on some of the old tram lines, standard gauge and then the wide gauge for the really big gear out of Siberia and the like...
    The bogies bit is true of modern locos (though the effect would be minimal), but in the day we standardised it was all steam locomotives that had the large fixed drive wheels in the middle, with movable bogies generally fore and aft of those. The rule with narrow gauge was that is was often reserved for lighter gear, where the track could be lighter duty and bent more easily. There are plenty of countries with just as gnarly terrain as us but a more useful gauge.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

4 feet 8 1/2 inches

More rail funfacts; Qld, NSW and Victoria all run different gauges. Widest in Vic, narrowest in Qld. Wider gushed is more expensive to construct but rides better, less swaying and probably better payloads. Australian towns are generally about 60 miles or 100-110 kms apart. The distance a steam train can go before it needs a refill of water and coal in flat country.

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    I'll tell you what's stupid. Queensland and Nsw in oz dont have a proper connecting rail link between states as they run different gauges.
    If you want to run it by rail it has to be swapped to different rolling stock.
    I’ve been to the station where those heading from one state to the other had to get out of one train, walk across the platform and get into the other train to continue their journey...

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    Well, to be fair when I went through loco school last year for trainee LE the effect wasn't that minimal. Took me a while to get my head around the 'how' of how it actually works - you need to be looking at the gear to see it. Standing at the back of a wagon in daylight trying to work out why the wheels aren't straight up and down, and then realising that they are but the optical illusion is stuffing your head up is priceless. The EF electric loco's run three bogies of two, the DL diesels run two bogies of three traction motors and those are the ones that make me scratch my head about how they turn corners. There isn't a huge amount holding the bits together, there's a fairly defined limit with the traction rods and radius rods as to how far things can move but the possible or permissible float limit is huge. But it seems to work, so kudos to the Chinese. Now, if they would only build decent steel, switches, and cab surfaces that don't fall apart and go sticky!

Another factor in how tight the curve can be is loco tipping speed, I'm told the curve speed is set at 50% of theoretical tipping speed. Not planning on verifying that either.
    Yes, the tops of the rails are radiused as well to help cope with the moving wheel geometry. We (Railways Courier service which was bought by NZ Post) were on the same frequency as workshop. There were some interesting conversations. Main issue was brake hoses and brakes being applied causing flat spots on the wheels.

We started with a descent gauge here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canter...ncial_Railways

The sharpest curves tend to be on the narrowest of narrow gauge railways, where almost all the equipment is proportionately smaller.[4]
    Steam locomotives

As the need for more powerful (steam) locomotives grew, the need for more driving wheels on a longer, fixed wheelbase grew too. But long wheel bases do not cope well with curves of a small radius. Various types of articulated locomotives (e.g., Mallet, Garratt, and Shay) were devised to avoid having to operate multiple locomotives with multiple crews.

More recent diesel and electric locomotives do not have a wheelbase problem and can easily be operated in multiple with a single crew.
    That's pretty much what I came up with using logical reasoning. I could have just looked it up.

Diesel Electric is a great combo. Diesel generates the efficient power and the electric motors develop amazing torque from zero revs.

Fun, but not actually true.
    Just...say...the...word

The tale is a good one, but it’s embellished. There’s a couple of myth busting / fact checking websites that quote this exact text, and then pick it apart with analysis of each of the steps in the story. It’s one of those ones where parts are founded in fact, other parts are maybes and might have beens, and the rest is conjecture. I think Snopes described it as “Mixture” which means it’s part truth, part myth, and then explained why. Worth reading up on, provides plenty of interesting stuff there.
    Just...say...the...word

Well that’s killed it, was a nice story.
    Did my time as a Fitter in the old NZR Addington Workshops, enjoyed my time at the Ensors Road Loco depot and Addington Loco repair and overhaul workshops but to much of an old mans home for me. Worked on some big arse machinery, was an excellent place to do a trade.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 300winmag View Post
    Well that’s killed it, was a nice story.
    Did my time as a Fitter in the old NZR Addington Workshops, enjoyed my time at the Ensors Road Loco depot and Addington Loco repair and overhaul workshops but to much of an old mans home for me. Worked on some big arse machinery, was an excellent place to do a trade.
    Brother in law told me of his time in loco workshops doing electrical apprenticeship first day on job was told to pick up some big-arsed compacitor and put it on the bench, unit had been charged with a zillion volts, when he picked it up it discharged and put him in bed for a month...staff were told to stop playing that joke on newbies.
    Micky Duck likes this.