Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: 4wd Ute <25k

issue with 2nd hand mitsi is that the 5/10 year warranty doesnt transfer

Nothing is risk free. I've seen every vehicle going neglected/driven with 50-80km oil in it/get horrible shit done to it, hiluxs and tritons and whatnot, dead under 80km... Anything is as good as it's treated. Then, somehow, some turds like ssangyongs ticking along fine past 300km with a bit of care. Every vehicle has a history, it doesn't matter what it is really, it's the *whoops we'll get that going again then flick it on* that really ruin the next owners day. Even getting one lowish KMs off a dealer with a warranty isn't risk free. @Beavis

Still wouldn't touch a Foton/Ssssssangyong/Great Wall/KungPowChicken. Like many have mentioned, some of the insurance is in the resale value no matter what aspect.

Had a cruiser in the other day, 738xxxkm on it, looking at it you'd guess 150 odd. Drove fucken mint, and went straight through warrant. You'll never get that in a Great Wall, ever.
    JoshC likes this.

I've heard that the bearings and other such things in the Chinese Utes are junk, but they are 1:1 rip offs of Toyota parts, so you can get a Foton/Great Wall and steadily replace it with Hilux parts... That's just what a mate told me.

Regarding why Tommy tagged me - yup, bought an MN Triton with low K's, second hand from a dealer. At one point a service tech didn't torque the sump plug and it dumped all the oil. Fast forward two years and a big end went on the way back from a hunt. My local Mitsi had it rebuilt and covered the cost. They mentioned that it was probably cooked by the previous owner, as the head had been off, and really poorly machined. So you really are rolling the dice on second hand trucks. Other than that wee fuck up, it has been a great truck. Lots of power. Can be had second hand for reasonable money.

There is a model of either isuzu or Holden that had dodgy turbos. For about 3 years on that model they only last 30000k
    Guy at work went through 2 in a couple of years and was told that is what they do.
    Buggered if I can remember which one

would steer clear of Fotons, mate had one waited 9 weeks for a minor part which wouldnt pass with the WOF so become a non operational vehicle.

Last i heard Foton had pulled out of NZ market and the odd dealership took over servicing them....

can't beat a triton value for money im on my 3rd...

A Lady up the road brought a new foton, she was having it serviced where she works and the machanic pointed out all the rust coming though the sills. This new ute was full of rust. Took it back to the dealer and dropped it off, after a third party getting involved took her a good month to get her money back. They wanted to replace it she said no thanks.