Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: 4x4 accessories

Quote Originally Posted by Noswal View Post
    All of the points you’ve bought up are things I’ve considered but being a nubie just dismissed. I have a solid hook (4 bolt) that I could attach for recovery. I’ll have look at options for that front recovery attachment. Access through the bumper would be difficult.
    Thankyou for advice.
    Low as possible, below the bumper. It causes a slight lifting effect which helps the front end ride up and over/out from whatever you parked in - the opposite of what the high mounted recovery point does. The high mounted recovery point tends to pull down into the obstruction that stopped you, acts as a 'magnifier' of the size of the obstruction and the parts of the vehicle that tend to take the load are the suspension components like the ball joints, tie rods, swivel bearings depending on which type of front end you have. That said, 99% of the time you get away with recovering from a high snatch point and don't notice the difference in pull point height but getting the vehicle out but finding you've immobilised it in the process - suckful. This risk is one of my reasons for preferring recovery to the rear if possible, i.e. pull backwards out from the way it went into the oops. There's a reason the thing stopped...
    paremata and Noswal like this.

Name:  A8D0E807-EAD7-4EA2-9BB7-E618C22461E1.jpeg
Views: 144
Size:  4.79 MB
    I’ll find a spot on the rear to mount this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Stump View Post
    Go join a 4x4 club, glean some knowledge off those that obsess with offloading and go from there
    Yeah mate, plan on joining the Sth Cantab club. Just want to be a little prepared before I show up lol

And don't forget to take some cash, if you have a problem break down, fuel, key money for access,food etc in the middle of nowhere plastic card no use.
    Noswal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Noswal View Post
    Yeah mate, plan on joining the Sth Cantab club. Just want to be a little prepared before I show up lol
    I'm part of them already, they are a good bunch of guys & do regular trip o/nights up avoca, wilverforce & west coat etc, they run a club training day once a year.

They'll give you a list of minimum kit before the trip & trg day.

Best of luck
    McNotty, Noswal and pennyless like this.