Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Arsenal Sarvo

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: 50mm tow balls

ebf
    Got caught out by this yesterday afternoon

Work van has 1 7/8, and works happily with courtesy trailers from Bunnings, Mitre10 and Parapine.

Until the frigging lead on one of the M10 trailers drained my battery. Phoned the Mrs, she brings the ute down. In a rush to get trailer back to M10 - guess what ? 50mm tow ball on the ute and the big adjustable spanner back in my workshop, aaargh !

Bought another 1 7/8 today, and chucked the 50mm in my toolbox.
    gadgetman and Finnwolf like this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby
    Black rifles matter...

Hahahaha @pennyless, you mean the random rusty piece of hardware chain and $1 store galvanised shackle where a rated safety chain and rated bow shackle should be????
    @ebf - you didn't do the usual and jump on the hitch two or three times until everything is forced together, then make getting it off the shops problem? Seen that a couple of times, yardies got the forklift jacking up the hitch with the tow vehicle and trailer both chocked and the safety chain down short!
    ebf likes this.

Most light trailer I've seen have exactly that.
    Even rated chain & shackle can fail.
    Saying for a friend

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Got caught out by this yesterday afternoon

Work van has 1 7/8, and works happily with courtesy trailers from Bunnings, Mitre10 and Parapine.

Until the frigging lead on one of the M10 trailers drained my battery. Phoned the Mrs, she brings the ute down. In a rush to get trailer back to M10 - guess what ? 50mm tow ball on the ute and the big adjustable spanner back in my workshop, aaargh !

Bought another 1 7/8 today, and chucked the 50mm in my toolbox.
    I feel your pain.
    Seems such a cockup to have two standards that aren't immediately obvious which is which and no plan for the country to progress towards one single standard.

Hitching up a bloody trailer shouldn't be something you have to modify your vehicle to do.
    ebf and 40mm like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    Parking this back in the appropriate place...
    Mathias likes this.

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    Parking this back in the appropriate place...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those are the other option, but you gotta be a little bit careful with those in my experience as the tiny split pin that holds the locking arm in place can decide to stop co-operating. I've only seen it once, and it didn't cause a problem as the locking arm was held in place by the tow hitch. Could be a problem if you were swapping trailers out and didn't notice the locking arm had made the break for freedom...

The convert-a-ball offering relies on a retained cross pin, arguably not as strong as the Trojan one but if the pin fails I'd suggest you have bigger issues in the global scheme of things!

Aussie must have had some weird and wonderful shit, when my brother came back from over there he had a collection of tow balls...i think there were 4 different sizes including one that had to be about 75 mm...i got to use this one once on a trailer that only me and the owner had balls that fitted, a big car transporter...some of the balls were brass which i found unusual.