Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By ROKTOY

Thread: 96 Hilux Surf boot not catching?

Question 96 Hilux Surf boot not catching?

Hi all, recently had my boot handle not catching at all, meaning I can't open my boot. Had it happen previously but only for short periods of time before it fixed itself. I just took it as my car getting 'moody' as older 4wd's occasionally do. This time its stayed like this for weeks.
    My understanding is that the wire/cable that should be releasing some latch has loosened to the point where pulling the handle isn't engaging the latch? Is that correct? Therefore, has anyone had experience in accessing this mechanism and how they fixed it? Any help appreciated.

The one forum I found online said it was the problem above but still not 100% on how to access the mechanism etc

Cheers
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit ......... wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Climb in the boot, here's hoping there isn't a cargo barrier or similar in the way. Remove the trim off the back door, which will be awkward(ish) Find the cables and pull em to open the tailgate. Once open you'll hopefully see if it is a stretched cable, seized/stiff latch or a broken handle. In the older surfs the locking mechanism often jammed in the locked position which prevented the tailgate being opened. I'm guessing liberal amounts of Inox or CRC will fix the issue once you get into the mechanisms.
    Bill999 and paremata like this.

Yea might be a weekend job, hoping getting into the mechanism doesn’t prove too difficult

If it is a cable system and there isn't an adjustment built in you can often jam a bolt through a loop/crimped section of cable to pull things a little tighter? Often will not take much, another otpion is a piece of ali floded over the cable and then crimped in place in a 'waffle' fashion - the more deep waffles to put a slight kink in the cable at each waffle fold the tighter it is. Usually fairly easy to get to, but if the vehicle has been about a few years be prepared for the clips that hold the liner card on to just break rather than coming away cleanly and able to be reused. You might be able to find something that fits at supercheap or repco, otehrwise you need to go to a panel beater for the specific type.

if your cable is getting sticky from rust or gunk it might be holding open
    spray with crc and give it a wiggle with a screwdriver (if it works give it more every week till you forget)

if something is snapped inside usually it wont open rather than wont close