Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Anyone got experience with the Forza Dirt Bikes?

Anyone got experience with the Forza Dirt Bikes?

As in the title, anyone have any experience with the Forza Dirt Bikes. In particular from the Big Foot and upwards. How they go in the field, if anyone's used them for hunting and transport etc...

Reliability, performance etc...

Thanks in advance

Sorry none but maybe try the Kiwi dirt bike forum?

northdude
    Chinese and shit goes hand in hand in the same sentance. Havnt owned that particular brand but had other chinese shit bikes and quads. Japanese is the way to go for motorbikes
    bully and BRADS like this.

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    Chinese and shit goes hand in hand in the same sentance. Havnt owned that particular brand but had other chinese shit bikes and quads. Japanese is the way to go for motorbikes
    "Cough!!" or European

Ticking over 450 hassle free hours on my Euro 2 stroke enduro hunting bike. Hauled 3 deer out of the back blocks two weekends ago. Snuck up on two Sika whilst riding in. Got to 75m before they twigged. So not a noisy bike if you ride them right.
    Total weight on board 130kgs Terrain hard enough to break lesser bikes
    Chinese bikes belong in the local park, NOT 70 km from the roadend

My Euro dirt bike is cheap as chips to maintain, many parts are common with other Euro and Jap bikes. The cheapest part of owning a Chinese bike is purchasing it. You will not be able to put a price on it shitting itself with you and a bundle of hunting gear on board, miles from nowhere.

You have been warned.

(hunting using a motorbike since 1978)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by XR500; 18-02-2021 at 02:31 PM.
    veitnamcam and NRT like this.

Thanks for the advice everyone! Yeah theres surprisingly very little detail online about the Forza's, atleast for the amount of time they've been around in NZ. But that's much as i'd expect from Chinese bikes at this point.

XR500 whats the 2stroke Euro bike you use? I've got a TF mudbug, but was after something lighter and easier to lift and manoeuvre etc...

I'd love one of these FXMoto bikes, but the kiwi guy developing them has been doing so for years and there still not commercially available.

https://www.fxbikes.com/

Next cab off the ranks then would be a CRF150R. They only weigh in at 73kg or so
    Last edited by Dublin; 18-02-2021 at 05:02 PM.

There's bikes then there's bikes. What do you want out of a bike?? Answer yourself that question first before you splash out on any machinery to replace the venerable Mudbug. If you want an off road bike to go hunting on, as yourself: how far, how much gear will it cart, how heavy are you, how gnarly a terrain do you wish to traverse???

A Mudbug will go most places, but will be uncomfortable, slow and heavy. It will however almost never let you down. Its frame is made of mild steel: hence its weight. But the seat is low to the ground, so doesn't feel its 100ish kgs. The older ones (TF185's) had large tanks and the engines were bulletproof and pulled far better than the little 125's. I have owned one for most of its life (42 years!!!) and it still has not had the head off, or any moving parts in the engine/gearbox replaced.

When I had a few coins saved up I progressed to an XR250 (the XR500 was waaay back in my teens), and spent 20 years using a couple of XR's to get in and out of hunting spots. they are a bit heavier than a mudbug, at 110kg, but the suspension was a revelation. Comfort at last! The frame was still of mild steel, so the XR's are heavier than necessary, and though the engines are bulletproof, being air cooled 4 strokes and with the basic carb they came with, were absolute bastards to restart once hot, if you had dropped it. Which in gnarly terrain could be often. And of course no electric start.
    Still, they were solidly built, and could easily cart the rider and a couple of deer over some pretty interesting countryside.

....And then someone let me ride their 300cc 2 stroke. And the writing was on the wall. And electric leg to boot

To get small cc bikes to perform off road you need to regularly rev their tits off. So they are noisy. Which defeats my desire to putt along quietly, enjoy the view and bump into the odd deer whilst still heading into base camp.

To tackle difficult terrain with a 80-100 kg rider, and have the potential to cart a decent pack back out (mine was 25kg 2 weekends ago) you need a fantastically strong frame and great suspension. The light weight E mountain bikes, and the Forza and FX bikes you referenced do not make the grade. Waitangi weekend coming back out I had the venison from 3 Sika on board, making for an all up cargo of 135kgs. I had several large tussock steps I had to jump off, up to 1 m high. Try that with a Forza and you would find it neatly folded up around your body

People have this misconception that 2 stroke dirt bikes are horribly noisy. Well, they can be. All depends on the nut standing on the pegs, powervalve settings and newish packing in the silencer.

Modern enduro 2 strokes have chrome moly frames and 300mm of suspension travel with 48mm forks. Those 300 cc 2 strokes produce just shy of 40 horsepower (mudbug is 12hp and the XR250 was 19hp). With the modern powervalve design they can be ridden at low revs yet have torque to the moon. Yes, they weigh in around 100kg, but you don't get big engine/massive suspension/tough frame/reliability for 65 kg

Any of the European 2 stroke enduro bikes made in the last 10 or so years can be made into a decent hunting bike. The Japs all but abandoned 2 strokes a long long time ago, and have done fuck all improvements to their stable of off road 4T bikes in the last 15 years: different coloured plastics and a bit of faffing around with suspension internals is about as far as they have gone.

About the only proviso I can give after all that, is that to use a dirt bike to get into difficult hunting terrain you will need some decent riding skills. Forestry tracks and high country station track systems far less so. Any average muppet should cope.

Name:  the unkillable Mudbug.JPG
Views: 1608
Size:  1.43 MB
    Name:  The mighty XR250.jpg
Views: 1607
Size:  1.12 MBName:  P1310212.JPG
Views: 1790
Size:  5.21 MB
    veitnamcam, NRT, Shearer and 4 others like this.

Awesome thanks XR500, plenty of food for thought. Much appreciated!!!

Came across these videos whilst doing research. The guys quite the character, very good rider and pretty talented i'd say!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsoyyVbStlA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk0s86aYt8Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX21Js2y5Ic

I see these bikes have been re-released in a mdernised version:

https://www.hondamotorbikes.co.nz/sc.../CT125#Gallery

1 sexy Italian lady there. Had Betas for many years but the seatless variety.
    Dublin likes this.

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by Dublin View Post
    Awesome thanks XR500, plenty of food for thought. Much appreciated!!!

Came across these videos whilst doing research. The guys quite the character, very good rider and pretty talented i'd say!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsoyyVbStlA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk0s86aYt8Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX21Js2y5Ic

I see these bikes have been re-released in a mdernised version:

https://www.hondamotorbikes.co.nz/sc.../CT125#Gallery
    Bit of a fail I reckon, no high/low ratio gear box, which was the biggest appeal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dublin likes this.

Those CT 110's have their place...just not where I ride

Name:  Deer trail 3 patches.jpg
Views: 1519
Size:  252.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    Those CT 110's have their place...just not where I ride
    Yeah and there also a bit over 7k! For what it is i think it's a little steep, certainly for what i'd be using it for.

I think i'll be sticking to the mudbug for the time being and will add a decent recovery kit so i can get to a few places i had in mind.

Love the shots with your bike there XR500! Amazing country side, and getting there on a bike is awesome! Certainly some very skilled riding involved!

I came across this video too of a race down south, theres a guy doing it on a mudbug obviously for kicks and giggles. But certainly proves well what you can do on them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLOmYwGKPi0

Found these recovery kits which should fit the bill:

https://greenchileadv.com/products/g...ecovery-system

Steer clear of anything Chinese, the purchase price might be nice but getting someone to repair it or getting parts may not be nice in the future.

I'd also steer clear of any 4 stroke MX bikes and would definitely not want a CRF150R. Any of these bikes need a fair bit of maintenance and IMO lack the bottom end torque to do what you want for a hunting bike, WRF and CRF-X being slight exceptions.

A mud bug can be modified to give a heap more power but will bea bit of work.
    I'd be looking for something with a nice low seat for a hunting bike, CRF230 would probably be my preferred choice or maybe a DR200 although the DRs feel a lot heavier.

If you had $$ to spend and wanted the best of the best I agree a 300 2T is the way to go, but would need some mods to set up for a hunting bike.

Prior to the 300 2T revelation, I toyed with picking up a yammie YZ 125 or 250 with a blown motor, and shoe horning a refreshed Suzuki Mudbug 185 donk into it. Best of both worlds

But now I have seen the light...I may know where a decent 300cc 2T is for sale. One careful owner
    Name:  Chainsaw1.jpg.01fceeccf9f0ca3227e312130b70123d.jpg
Views: 1420
Size:  563.6 KB

In SA we used to run yz125/250s with a weighted flywheel and a wr gearbox for the bush, that with revolved suspension and an 18” back tyre made them really usable in the slow gnarly stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    stagstalker likes this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Depends what you want it for. If you are looking for a cost effective option to get kids/new rider into riding with causal trail rides etc then they will be sweet. My brother and dad have owned a few different chinese models for this type of stuff in the family and never had any major issues. Parts is the biggest problem if they decide to discontinue that make/model though.

If you are after a bike for more serious riding then get on something reputable from Japan or Europe. I’m on my third YZ250 after being through 450 MX four strokes and 300cc KTM EXC 2 strokes etc. The good old YZ for me is just so hard to beat. Fun on an MX track and a weapon on Enduro when setup accordingly. Not really suitable for a hunting type application though. I ride dirt bikes for two wheel fun haha, hunting etc for me is done using two feet or the quad.
    outlander likes this.