Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: DUI driving restrictions on private land?

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyhabit View Post
    And to be fair, it isnt the courts ruining their career, it would be the fault.of the person breaking the law wouldnt it?
    Yes it would but the courts dont see it like that if you have a promising career in rugby, even if you have bludgeoned two others.
    dirtyhabit and mikee like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

LOC
    it's a fairly remote place, i don't recall many cops on the road that runs to the property so unlikely to be 'seen'.
    so from the H&S viewpoint do you reckon it is the farmers responsibility to police that their worker has a license - or is it up to the license holder if adequately warned?
    i get the insurance thing, that could cause headaches if something got wrecked

Quote Originally Posted by LOC View Post
    it's a fairly remote place, i don't recall many cops on the road that runs to the property so unlikely to be 'seen'.
    so from the H&S viewpoint do you reckon it is the farmers responsibility to police that their worker has a license - or is it up to the license holder if adequately warned?
    i get the insurance thing, that could cause headaches if something got wrecked
    If you look at the forklift one for instance, you are required to have a drivers licence to "drive" one on public roads ( see public road description above) but that license is no good to "operate" the forklift either on a road or a private workplace, you need the osh/worksafe ticket to actually pick up stuff with it.

For "working" on private property common sense would say as long as he/she is trained and competent to operate said machinery a license to drive on a public road is irrelevant.

This is my interpretation only based on my experiences, seek legal council is my advice.
    Jexla likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    seek legal council is my advice.
    This bit.
    veitnamcam, dirtyhabit and stumpy like this.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

My understanding is that the part in the LTA 1998 interpretation of a road regarding "open to public, whether by right or not", or something similar, is in regards to private carparks, access points etc where it is common for the public to be using their vehicles.

My belief is that a farm doesn't meet the definition of a road, therefore isn't bound by the land transport act except for a few offences re reckless driving causing death etc.

I'm just going off of the top of my head, I'm not a traffic cop, but I know people have gotten off of EBAs when located in a driveway that's not shared.
    Kscott and Jexla like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    My understanding is that the part in the LTA 1998 interpretation of a road regarding "open to public, whether by right or not", or something similar, is in regards to private carparks, access points etc where it is common for the public to be using their vehicles.

My belief is that a farm doesn't meet the definition of a road, therefore isn't bound by the land transport act except for a few offences re reckless driving causing death etc.

I'm just going off of the top of my head, I'm not a traffic cop, but I know people have gotten off of EBAs when located in a driveway that's not shared.
    EBA?

Excess Breath Alcohol, DUI is so 90s
    sako75, Steve123, Jexla and 1 others like this.

Excess Breath Alcohol, DUI is so 90s
    You mean so Australian , it used to be DIC .
    Savage1 and Steve123 like this.

So by your logic if you were the motocross or enduro world champion and you had your license revoked for getting caught doing 141kph on a deserted flat road in your commodore you could no longer work by racing on closed courses or practise on the back of the farm.
    I dont think so, lets remember "the courts are not in the business of ruining careers"
    I worked with a guy who lost his licence DUI and he had a bastard of a time getting an exemption from MNZ or whoever the governing body for motorsport licences are to allow him to keep his race licence (the old NZ v8 series), which did seem odd as you dont actually need a car licence to get a race license in the first place

@Savage1

On a side note but kind of related
    What about when people do burnouts on private property?

A guy I race stockcars with lost his drivers licence after doing a burnout in his driveway in his drift car.
    I was around the back of the house next to the shed.

So by your logic if you were the motocross or enduro world champion and you had your license revoked for getting caught doing 141kph on a deserted flat road in your commodore you could no longer work by racing on closed courses or practise on the back of the farm.
    I dont think so, lets remember "the courts are not in the business of ruining careers"
    I can only speak for motorcycle racing, not tin-tops.
    In motorcycle racing you don't need a road licence to race on a closed circuit course.
    Depending on which law is used to close the roads for a true road circuit race you might not need one there either.

After a stand down period a worker can often get a "special" licence to get to/from work.
    A farm would not usually be counted as a road so licence requirements may not appy though H&S will.

Quote Originally Posted by 199p View Post
    @Savage1

On a side note but kind of related
    What about when people do burnouts on private property?

A guy I race stockcars with lost his drivers licence after doing a burnout in his driveway in his drift car.
    I was around the back of the house next to the shed.
    Shared driveway? Are you sure it happened on private property and not just out the gate? Or was impounded for a previous occurrence? Were you there or was "I" a typo for it? If so I'd say he's lying or omitting a few facts.

Shared driveway? Are you sure it happened on private property and not just out the gate? Or was impounded for a previous occurrence? Were you there or was "I" a typo for it? If so I'd say he's lying or omitting a few facts.
    not sure on shared driveway

I wasn't there, only know him through stock cars.
    The I was meant to be an "it" spot he did burnout as around back of house on driveway next to his shed, Thinking like a carport

Quote Originally Posted by LOC View Post
    to cut a long story short a shepherd on my parents farm crashed his ute on the public gravel road near home and looks likely to lose his license due to blood alcohol reading

according to the old lady a certain cop has been very insistent that he cannot drive a vehicle even on private farmland while his license is revoked. even went as far as insisting he couldn't drive the side x side on the farm. i cannot believe this to be correct

surely a few on here have experience with this situation and could verify?
    You always get some drongo bureaucrat who knows nothing about the law.The Land Transport Act does not apply to private land.Fail.

I love how the focus of this thread is on the cop that may or may not be correct about what the implications are as far as the Sheppard's place of work rather than on the mouth breathing, retard that decided it would be a good idea to drink and drive in the first place.