Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Farm bike advice please

I learnt on an yammy ag100 2 stroke.....what killed them was the oiler packed up and folks just kept running them on straight petrol till they died...see them on farms all the time now blowing clouds of smoke as folks learnt and run them on 2 stroke mix...think some over generous with the oil.
    not fast enough or powerful enough to get into too much trouble. the suzuki mudbugs have always been an awesome bike...agree with putting larger rear sprocket on them to slow things down.... till they learn then poke origonal back on.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    I learnt on an yammy ag100 2 stroke.....what killed them was the oiler packed up and folks just kept running them on straight petrol till they died...see them on farms all the time now blowing clouds of smoke as folks learnt and run them on 2 stroke mix...think some over generous with the oil.
    not fast enough or powerful enough to get into too much trouble. the suzuki mudbugs have always been an awesome bike...agree with putting larger rear sprocket on them to slow things down.... till they learn then poke origonal back on.
    Ditto
    Yellow pride and joy @ 15 in 1973
    $504 then Sales Tax of I think 25% off
    Micky Duck and XR500 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    honda crf150f if you can find one
    Second this, I have my 11yr old boy on a CRF100, basically the GRF is a dressed up XR. Good seat height so the kids can get their feet on the ground still.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Be aware that the smaller Hondas run smaller dia wheels than most of the previously mentioned bikes (in an effort to be lowest weight in class). This is absolutely no drama running around paddocks and home made MX courses. But head off somewhere lumpy, or following rutted 4x4 tracks and those wee wheels make it a lot easier to arse off. Try if possible to stick to the time tested combo of 21 inch front 18 inch rear.
    Moa Hunter and outlander like this.

Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    Be aware that the smaller Hondas run smaller dia wheels than most of the previously mentioned bikes (in an effort to be lowest weight in class). This is absolutely no drama running around paddocks and home made MX courses. But head off somewhere lumpy, or following rutted 4x4 tracks and those wee wheels make it a lot easier to arse off. Try if possible to stick to the time tested combo of 21 inch front 18 inch rear.
    it works for the "little black elephant washers" working on many dairy farms too.....and dont get knickers in knot I have great respect for the Nepalese folks on bosses farm and met some great Philipinos too..... the above title is just a poke in ribs and easier to type than mutinational people of short stature and dark complection.....

Gone but not forgotten
    We had a 125 mudbug on the farm when I was growing up. I reckon it was called a Mudbug because it handled like a pig! The Yammy DT175 was way nicer to ride and much more stable.

I agree crf150 or next choice klx140 but you might struggle to find a decent one for that money. xr125 is another option

I've got a KLX 250 that's totally renewed. Comes with an unopened big bore 300cc kit in a box. $2750.Name:  IMG_2123.JPG
Views: 341
Size:  4.52 MBName:  IMG_2119.JPG
Views: 348
Size:  5.07 MB
    DavidGunn and Moa Hunter like this.

My son scored for his wife ( near 6ft tall, new rider) a near mint DR200 off TM for sod all. Can't recall the number but seemed super cheap to me. I've ridden it and it's got quite adequate power for 14yr olds IMO.

I've always been a fan of the Hondas, grew up with them, Dad had a dozen over the years and the occasional DR.
    Had an XR200 that was bullet proof - a mate drove into what he thought was a puddle, but was well over the bar heights (small pond). We pulled it apart, dried it out and with the help of the King brothers (NZ MotoX champs at the time) kicked it over for half an hour and she was going again!
    Taught many people how to ride on that old tank, and thus my allegiance to the old XR.

This might be in your ball park: https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/m...1?bof=duIcasSJ
    Micky Duck likes this.

Id go for a CRF 230 ideally.
    The problem with "farm" bikes is they usually terribly balanced POS that havent been updated since the 1970/80's.
    I think I fell off farm bikes way more than i ever did even when racing motorcross bikes
    BRADS likes this.

Thanks for the suggestions fellas.

Defo won’t be going for anything remotely motocross. Simple, slow, that’s the requirement. Won’t be lugging deer around. This bike will be used as a learner only then flicked on I imagine, unless Mum likes it of course.

There’s a few options relatively local to us that we’ll go and look at over the next wee while. DR200, CRF230, Kawasaki Stockman are the shortlist so far.
    Sideshow likes this.
    Just...say...the...word

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    ... four stroke motor cross bikes...
    Back in the day you would have got laughed off the track if you turned up on a four thumper!

A mate of a mate road-legalised a YZ490, that was scary, it would peel the rear tyre off the rim if you gave it too much gas on a corner.

And when they get tired of plugging about on farm 2 wheelers, here's the ultimate power upgrade for fun off road on a 2 wheeler : Nitrous injected 500cc MotoX bikes running in the snow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6bGym0Jcqc
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    And when they get tired of plugging about on farm 2 wheelers, here's the ultimate power upgrade for fun off road on a 2 wheeler : Nitrous injected 500cc MotoX bikes running in the snow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6bGym0Jcqc

Gotta say that the more I look at this the more I wonder why on earth I wouldn’t just buy a new one.

The Kawasaki Stockman for $7k delivered looks like its a pretty sweet option.
    Just...say...the...word