Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Carbine
  • 1 Post By No.3
  • 1 Post By tac a1
  • 1 Post By 11mms

Thread: Fuel water separator install

Fuel water separator install

First off just bought a 2000 2.8 mitsi challenger for 2000$ which is a mean deal in my books, after my poosuzu wizard shit itself on transmission gully hill on my way back from 7 weeks hunting sika,
    huge thanks to @ANTSMAN to housing me for afew days until i could get a lift back south, so with that being said i would like to fit a diesel water separator to the truck when i take possession. To give
    it the best fuel as ive had afew times where ive had to use fuel doctor to take care of a bad tank of diesel and petrol from local station. There are kits for 400ish dollars like ryco universal set ups
    which would be the duck nuts but im on disability so price is a major factor and can get marine separators for 60ish bucks which is essence do the same thing, is there something im missing?

cheers boys for the input
    ANTSMAN likes this.

Doesn't really matter which model you go for - just make sure it's got enough flow rate to handle a diesel system (a lot of marine separators are designed for petrol only which usually have much lower flow rates than the equivalent diesel systems). Also, robust enough to survive being set up on a diesel system in a diesel engine bay. The other is making sure the filtration is low enough (i.e. a micron rated filter which is fine enough to remove water as well as crap) and the replacement elements are easily obtainable and don't cost a huge amount...
    Carbine likes this.

This ^^^^^^^.

Use fuel additive 'Fuelmaster'. I use it and I think its a good product. Injectors were clean as a whistle when we did the seals.
    Carbine likes this.

Does the thing not have a fuel-filter/water trap on the firewall??
    If not I suspect you could find one on any "real" fourby (cruiser, patrol) at your local wreckers, and plumb it in...
    Carbine likes this.

its sight unseen until the 14th at the moment but looked decent for the price, ive used fuel doctor before - good enough for outback fuel in aussie good enough for me
    it would be good to get abit of extra protection aswell because i dont think it does have one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmA-ymsKHxE

only pic i have of the truck until pick up
    Name:  368557973_225225810478101_1347572941910148096_n.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  102.6 KB
    Last edited by Carbine; 27-08-2023 at 11:14 AM.