Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Hairdresser 4x4

Escudo, 1.6 Litre. good wagon to borrow of the troops for a weekend hunting wagon too.
    Quite a capable little 4wd.
    Freezer likes this.

I just picked a 95 Rav auto with low kms for a very good price. It is intended for my nephew to use when he visits at xmas, and I may well flick it on after that (mid January) @gadgetman. If you are not sorted by then, keep this in mind.
    The price will be very favourable if I do sell it.
    veitnamcam, gadgetman and stingray like this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    As they are permanent 4wd
    No they are on demand...permanently or at least that is the extent of my googling as a great part of my motivation to get one was to stop bloody modifying things and just put fuel in and drive it.

Having owned both an Escudo and Rav I would say there is little to no difference in their offroad ability as they roll off of the showroom floor,however the Escudo does have far more potential to be easily and relatively cheaply (maybe 3xpurchase price) to be turned into a real off roader....thats not really an option with the rav.

Suzies are disproportionately expensive now due to the fact that autos can be put transfer case in neutral and towed on an "A" frame behind a motorhome.... the one we struggeled to get 3k for a few years ago in mint cond now go for 3-8k with another 100tho km on them.

The major difference is on road tho, the suzi suffers directional instability badly at relatively modest speeds it struggles to achieve... It is definitely NOT a good learners vehicle in the older variants,engines must be mercilessly raped to maintain any sort of open road momentum and they shit heads alarminly reguarly.

The Rav on the other hand has plenty of power for a small vehicle with the 2l and altho it looks like it is just waiting to swap ends or roll over for a belly rub it actually goes/handels/stops remarkably well,Same era Suzuki is not even in the same league.

Fuel economy the rav will be worse of course 2l verses 1600 but its splitting hairs they will both be driven flat to the floor most of the time.

DO NOT BUY A 2L V6 Suzi if you buy one get the 1600 4cyl the v6 is a dog, even worse directional stability and cam chain tensioner issues that are pretty much engine out jobs to fix.

The fact that the Rav looks as gay as a handbag full of rainbows couldnt put me off either
    Last edited by veitnamcam; 29-09-2016 at 09:37 PM.
    mudgripz and gadgetman like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    No they are on demand...permanently or at least that is the extent of my googling as a great part of my motivation to get one was to stop bloody modifying things and just put fuel in and drive it.

Having owned both an Escudo and Rav I would say there is little to no difference in their offroad ability as they roll off of the showroom floor,however the Escudo does have far more potential to be easily and relatively cheaply (maybe 3xpurchase price) to be turned into a real off roader....thats not really an option with the rav.

Suzies are disproportionately expensive now due to the fact that autos can be put transfer case in neutral and towed on an "A" frame behind a motorhome.... the one we struggeled to get 3k for a few years ago in mint cond now go for 3-8k with another 100tho km on them.

The major difference is on road tho, the suzi suffers directional instability badly at relatively modest speeds it struggles to achieve... It is definitely NOT a good learners vehicle in the older variants,engines must be mercilessly raped to maintain any sort of open road momentum and they shit heads alarminly reguarly.

The Rav on the other hand has plenty of power for a small vehicle with the 2l and altho it looks like it is just waiting to swap ends or roll over for a belly rub it actually goes/handels/stops remarkably well,Same era Suzuki is not even in the same league.

Fuel economy the rav will be worse of course 2l verses 1600 but its splitting hairs they will both be driven flat to the floor most of the time.

DO NOT BUY A 2L V6 Suzi if you buy one get the 1600 4cyl the v6 is a dog, even worse directional stability and cam chain tensioner issues that are pretty much engine out jobs to fix.

The fact that the Rav looks as gay as a handbag full of rainbows couldnt put me off either
    That's the sort of info I'm after. Yours auto or manual?

I wouldn't be interested in modifying whatever I get for off road use. After something that will be mainly on the road but could get a few people to the start of a track for tramping or hunting.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

@veitnamcam
    Mine is gayer than yours . It has pink decals. That is why I am not using it
    veitnamcam likes this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    @veitnamcam
    Mine is gayer than yours . It has pink decals. That is why I am not using it
    Bugger, I couldn't buy that. I'd be lynched if I brought that home for the girls. To say they HATE pink would be the usual kiwi understatement.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Bugger, I couldn't buy that. I'd be lynched if I brought that home for the girls. To say they HATE pink would be the usual kiwi understatement.
    I am sure the decals will come off with a bit of gentle persuasion
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

That's the sort of info I'm after. Yours auto or manual?

I wouldn't be interested in modifying whatever I get for off road use. After something that will be mainly on the road but could get a few people to the start of a track for tramping or hunting.
    Mines an auto tho I much prefer manuals I have found autos help stop me from doing stupid shit and breaking stuff

But mainly it came up at the right price and an auto is advantageous for backing stuff up my drive.

My rav gets used to tow a heavy tandem trailer and a boat on trailer regularly , it does not embarrass itself,yes it is working but that's what the right foot is for and if planted on the firewall it will surprise most even towing a load.

While I certainly wouldn't recommend it as a tow vehicle it does it without complaint and never feels anything but solid on the road, the Suzuki never felt solid on the road unladen and I wouldnt feel safe towing the same loads at the same speeds.

I have not driven a manual one but a workmates missus had one and he reconed it was really low geared...like over 3000rpm @100??, the auto is doing more like 2200 with the torque converter locked up but I am usually overdrive off anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Mines an auto tho I much prefer manuals I have found autos help stop me from doing stupid shit and breaking stuff

But mainly it came up at the right price and an auto is advantageous for backing stuff up my drive.

My rav gets used to tow a heavy tandem trailer and a boat on trailer regularly , it does not embarrass itself,yes it is working but that's what the right foot is for and if planted on the firewall it will surprise most even towing a load.

While I certainly wouldn't recommend it as a tow vehicle it does it without complaint and never feels anything but solid on the road, the Suzuki never felt solid on the road unladen and I wouldnt feel safe towing the same loads at the same speeds.

I have not driven a manual one but a workmates missus had one and he reconed it was really low geared...like over 3000rpm @100??, the auto is doing more like 2200 with the torque converter locked up but I am usually overdrive off anyway.
    That is a typical difference between auto and manual anything. The van and my wagon (the manuals) are both doing about 2800 @100 where the safari and wizard (the autos) are doing 1800 @100. Shows up in the fuel economy too.

I'm leaning more towards a 5 door RAV at this stage.

Aren't the Ravs FWD with on demand 4wd? I understand that if using the engine to slow down (engine braking/over run) that they revert to FWD which would be a disadvantage off road.
    I have an early 3DR 8V Escudo for the kids to learn in, but we also do quite a lot of 4wd based camping, and a RAV wouldn't cut it off road for us.
    InLaws have a 2000ish 3dr Rav and it a much nicer ride on road.

Ejected
    Not considering the crv over the rav?

I find the crv nicer to drive, nicer when loaded up, nicer to be in, and with a sample size of one each, more reliable.

northdude
    ive had a suzuki 1.6 for about 5 years and its been pretty good cracked heads and blocks are common but theres a relativly easy fix and havnt had a problem since it gets you closer to the hunting spots but a bit small if taking a lot of gear it tows a sensible sized trailer ok as well 2 of my kids have learnt to drive in it no problems bit slow on the road but it was never desighned to be a race car and as aerodynamic as a brick mines perfect for intended use

I have th 1998 vitara last of the non airbag models with a 2 litre dohc Mazda engine , much more reliable and economical than the old v6 2 litre also a manual model . They have the lever to manually select 4wd rather than a switch which I prefer don't have much faith in electronics just ticked over 300000k and due for a new clutch and thrust bearing the only major expense I've had is I had to replace the coil packs at about 250km . It's a 3 door , I do find when in hard lock the rear tends to push the front wheels sideways when in 2wd the 5dr wouldn't have this problem cos of the longer chassis. The other thing is the engine points the right way and they have a full chassis not a unibody like the rave or crv

Took a short arse Rav4 for a spin and was quite impressed with the ride, handling and responsiveness. Has few issues though, ... bearing noise in alternator and getting way too hot within 10 minutes of driving.

Took a short arse Rav4 for a spin and was quite impressed with the ride, handling and responsiveness. Has few issues though, ... bearing noise in alternator and getting way too hot within 10 minutes of driving.
    That is a shame.

Main dislikes with mine are the seat needs to go back 2 more clicks and I am only 5foot 10 and the lack of sound deadening.