Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Help me! 4x4 Recommendations

Terrano/Navara, Bighorn, Pajero, Prado if your budget can accommodate one. KZN130 Surf is an ok platform too if looked after. Escudo/Vitara is a cheep wee run about that does well in standard form offroad too. Toyota Surf offers better ground clearance from factory the most other IFS based 4wds of a similar age. 2.8 Diesel engine in the Bighorn is pretty bulletproof, as is the 2.7/3.2 Diesel Terrano. Terrano has a weaker steering system looking at it from a 4wd perspective. Pajero has the strongest suspension/steering set up but is a heavier wagon and has a lower ground clearance than some. Also the seating position varies, Bighorn and early Prado has an upright position(sitting at a table with legs down, verses Surf and Terrano/Navara that have a more reclined position, (legs straight)
    5K -6K may see you in a older/roughish Patrol/Safari which is pretty bulletproof, but maintenance costs may be higher. Things like the 10+ litres of oil and the two filters to replace every oil change. They are a truck engine that just don't stop though.
    Pros and Cons with any vehicle choice, it always ends up being a compromise.
    jakewire, Tommy and 300CALMAN like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ROKTOY View Post
    Terrano/Navara, Bighorn, Pajero, Prado if your budget can accommodate one. KZN130 Surf is an ok platform too if looked after. Escudo/Vitara is a cheep wee run about that does well in standard form offroad too. Toyota Surf offers better ground clearance from factory the most other IFS based 4wds of a similar age. 2.8 Diesel engine in the Bighorn is pretty bulletproof, as is the 2.7/3.2 Diesel Terrano. Terrano has a weaker steering system looking at it from a 4wd perspective. Pajero has the strongest suspension/steering set up but is a heavier wagon and has a lower ground clearance than some. Also the seating position varies, Bighorn and early Prado has an upright position(sitting at a table with legs down, verses Surf and Terrano/Navara that have a more reclined position, (legs straight)
    5K -6K may see you in a older/roughish Patrol/Safari which is pretty bulletproof, but maintenance costs may be higher. Things like the 10+ litres of oil and the two filters to replace every oil change. They are a truck engine that just don't stop though.
    Thanks Mate,

Yes oil changes ect no problem as I usually get the stuff on special at Supercrap (they are good for oil). Your list is comprehensive so off to TM for a look.
    ROKTOY likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ROKTOY View Post
    Too right. Mate has one that has done over a million km, never had the head off. I have done turbo conversions on even high mileage ones and not one has had a problem yet. Another mates dad's Patrol got the turbo treatment at 350km approx 10 years ago, she's knocking on the door of 600 now, and a lot of those miles were towing a twin axle trailer with a CJ5 on it, and a pile of tools in the back. I'd love a brand new one if you could get them. Finding a non-rusty one is the challenge
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Thanks for the awesome info, I was just looking at Nissans and it seems the mid/late 90s ones are not too bad priced second hand.

Are Nissan Safai's like old Tikkas and just get more expensive especially if you put tacti cool stuff on them?? Or is this a deer magnet?

Nissan Safari Factory Turbo 1995 | Trade Me

northdude
    your mechanic that looks after your vehicle would gladly give you a punch in the head if you turned up diesel wizard being in the trade 20+ years first id say Toyota but in your price range id try for a mitsi I don't like the nissans they seem pretty gutless for something that's nearly 3l just my opinion tho

northdude
    [QUOTE=300CALMAN;595959]Thanks for the awesome info, I was just looking at Nissans and it seems the mid/late 90s ones are not too bad priced second hand.

Are Nissan Safai's like old Tikkas and just get more expensive especially if you put tacti cool stuff on them?? Or is this a deer magnet?

[url=http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used do a proper check on a safari or its equivalent a lot of them get stolen

You are talking to the mechanic (mostly). I only get things fixed by a mechanic when I don't have time or it something out of my comfort zone ie fixing an auto transmission or diesel motor heads.

northdude
    ok just stay away from a wizard weve got one at work its been there for 6 months sitting in the car park no one wants to touch it once you've encountered one of those pieces of shit you don't want to do another one the guy that owns it cant even find another workshop that wants anything to do with it

Quote Originally Posted by 300CALMAN View Post
    I take it for around $5000 it will be a petrol or a diesel flogged to death. Do the petrol ones drink much?
    Yea the petrol ones are rapey to run. You won't get a diesel one for 5k. I almost bought a 2 door '96 diesel for 6.5k had 355km on it. Honestly you are probably in the shitter end of the spectrum with a 5k budget. You might get a well used Surf in reasonble nick for that.

Being a buyer in the 4x4 market in NZ is demorilizing.
    veitnamcam, Petros_mk and rossi.45 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    ok just stay away from a wizard weve got one at work its been there for 6 months sitting in the car park no one wants to touch it once you've encountered one of those pieces of shit you don't want to do another one the guy that owns it cant even find another workshop that wants anything to do with it
    I take it you are talking about the newer version post 1998?? The older ones have the same motor as my Mu.
    gadgetman and northdude like this.

you will never know frustration and patience until you have replaced a clutch in a bighorn !

northdude
    Quote Originally Posted by 300CALMAN View Post
    I take it you are talking about the newer version post 1998?? The older ones have the same motor as my Mu.
    the cunty diesel ones with a wiring loom inside the engine among other totally retarded desighn ideas
    rossi.45 likes this.

northdude
    Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    you will never know frustration and patience until you have replaced a clutch in a bighorn !
    they are ok but not a big fan

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    haha a manual one? You would just about need truck equipment to do that. Done a Escudo and Landrover. Neither were fun like a car.