Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Help me! 4x4 Recommendations

I have a R50 Terrano. Nice and comfortable family wagon. Tows the race car perfectly fine and gets me up to my hunting spots as well.
    Wouldn't call it a real 4wd as it is a monocoque chassis. But does alright offroad.
    Not as powerful as a 1KZ Surf but uses heaps less fuel. 1KZ's drink like a alcoholic at closing time.
    It's a 2.7 turbo diesel intercooled and efi. Good cast iron pushrod reliable engine.
    As with anything mechanical, if it's been looked after properly it will last.
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

1993 0r earlier 4wd hiace. iv got one and it climbs up trees. iv also got some snorkels to fit. they have hilux running gear so are pretty capable. also you get the benefit of a van! so much better than a ute for most things.Name:  DSC06395.jpg
Views: 578
Size:  115.8 KBName:  HIACE LIFT.jpg
Views: 952
Size:  98.0 KB

the orange one is not mine, has had hilux live axle and leaf installed in the front to allow the lift height (so im told)
    pretty cool... (except the paint)
    gadgetman, 300CALMAN and 223nut like this.

The old man's go a hi ace, loves it. Only problem is finding one with low kms. Ski fields used to love them, long wheel base, hi roof and 4wd but Toyota has stopped making hem

I do like the van BUT to be honest I am not even sure it will fit under the car-port.

Sad question I know but can you put a child's car seat in the back? Some of the old ones had basic seating in the back. I almost purchased the nissan version a few years ago but it turned out the motor was on the way out.

ATM I am looking at Nissan Mistral as they don't seem to leak/rust as bad as the Terranos. They also don't seem to attract such a premium for low k ones.

Also it seems to be hard to get Bighorns that haven't been thrashed but still looking.

Quote Originally Posted by 300CALMAN View Post
    I do like the van BUT to be honest I am not even sure it will fit under the car-port.

Sad question I know but can you put a child's car seat in the back? Some of the old ones had basic seating in the back. I almost purchased the nissan version a few years ago but it turned out the motor was on the way out.

ATM I am looking at Nissan Mistral as they don't seem to leak/rust as bad as the Terranos. They also don't seem to attract such a premium for low k ones.

Also it seems to be hard to get Bighorns that haven't been thrashed but still looking.
    Our kids were brought up in Hiace 4x4 vans. Never had trouble fitting seats. Can always add more anchor points if need be, it isn't difficult.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Yee gods! expensive/very high KM! If I ever see a realistically priced one I might grab it but got to stick to the budget for now.

Yee gods! expensive/very high KM! If I ever see a realistically priced one I might grab it but got to stick to the budget for now.
    I'd keep looking for a good Bighorn. They do turn up.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    I'd keep looking for a good Bighorn. They do turn up.
    Definitely a Bighorn is still in my list which looks like this at the moment:

Bighorn/Older Mu (non poo motor)
    Terrano/Mistral
    Surff (less likely)
    Hilux Van (not likely)

BTW I know Tommy likes the older TD27 - TD27Ti/TD27ETi Nissan Motor common in the Terrano/Mistral but are the ZD30DDTi or QD32ETi 3 or 3.2 liter ones common in some later ones any any good?
    nzbushbunny likes this.

Terrano/Mistral
    Surff (less likely)
    Hilux Van (not likely)

BTW I know Tommy likes the older TD27 - TD27Ti/TD27ETi Nissan Motor common in the Terrano/Mistral but are the ZD30DDTi or QD32ETi 3 or 3.2 liter ones common in some later ones any any good?
    My mechanic mate would be very unhappy if I bought a ZD30. Not as much as with the 4JX1 though.

ZD30 is a Renault design and is about as useful and reliable as soggy biscuit
    The QD32 is just a stroked out version of the td27 to 3.2L. Bit more grunt. They are known for breaking engine mounts.
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

Quote Originally Posted by cambo View Post
    ZD30 is a Renault design and is about as useful and reliable as soggy biscuit
    The QD32 is just a stroked out version of the td27 to 3.2L. Bit more grunt. They are known for breaking engine mounts.
    Renault design soggy biscuit

Thanks for the info, so best to look for a td27 then

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    My mechanic mate would be very unhappy if I bought a ZD30. Not as much as with the 4JX1 though.
    They both win the race to the dump
    gadgetman likes this.

Avoid the ZD motor like it was your ex girlfriends father. QD32 is a good motor, if breaking an engine mount concerns you, add a few links of chain to stop it flexing too much. QD motor is a good improvement on the TD27. But it still needs to be looked after and kept cool.

Stick with the Isuzu's just look for one that's got the external fuel (diesel) injectors on the motor as the motor with the internal fuel injectors have a habit of going awol... the Isuzu has to be one of the Safest 4x4's around me or those close to me have had 4 of them plus a Toyota 4x4 & a Terrano 4x4, some guy cut the corner and headon'd us @ over a 100ks concertina buckled the chassis over the wheel arch of the 1st 96 Isuzu x & I walked away with not a scratch on us he was in an old 56 Plymouth Vaxhall so a Solid car 26 broken bones in his face alone.. Isuzu 4x4's are Great Family Wagons..
    gadgetman likes this.

Terrano/Mistral
    Surff (less likely)
    Hilux Van (not likely)

The Isuzu Wizard is a 5 dr 4x4 . More economical then the Bighorn though & Will go Anywhere they also have a Bigger Radiator or atleast my last one did compared to the Bighorn.
    There's a few for sale @ the moment on the Auto Trader site.
    Used Isuzu for Sale

Good Luck.