Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hiace advice

Hiace advice

Ive just emigrated from the UK to NZ (sorry yes another one!). Im after a Hiace as a bit of a cheap multi use vehicle but ive never owned one so Im after a bit of advise, Im after a long wheelbase model that I can take the seats out of when needed and use it as a van as well as a minibus to shift family around in.

So what model should I be looking for? I also want it for commuting to and from work so It needs to be reasonably economical. So any advise on what to get, what to avoid and what to look out for would be great.

Thanks in advance for the help

they are prone to rust around all of the rear windows due to body flex so have a good look around the windows. the 2.4L petrol ones are pretty economical. if you get one newer than 2001 it will only need one warrant of fitness a year.
    parts are pretty common and most mechanics should know their way around them pretty well.
    just my 2 cents

Im a vehicle painter by trade so bodywork I can do as long as the interior doesnt look like its had a bear chewing on it, and its mechanically sound. Its all good though, so bring on the 2 cents worth, its all good to know.

I've been driving them since I got my licence 35 years ago and have owned at least one for the last 26 years. Love the feel of the gearboxes and the ratios. Last two have been 4x4 and they are nice to drive but are hard on tyres, typically chewing them out within 30,000km. Found the current one (3.0l diesel, swb) great for towing and really comfortable and quite good off road. Can unclip the rear seats in a couple of minutes and they fold down for a bed of wanted. Fuel economy is not great at around 13l/100km. The 2x4 van I had was really good on tyres, getting 120,000km before the side walls perished.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!