Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Investigating Quad Bikes

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGunn View Post
    Way too many people put a ute load of gear on their quad and then expect it to have stability...rear diff only quads are useless under load and on uneven terrain.
    What setup is do you think is the best for stability with loads? IRS?

Quote Originally Posted by stagstalker View Post
    What setup is do you think is the best for stability with loads? IRS?
    if ya wanna carry a ute load, get a ute...or tow a trailer...the more weight on top of the quad the less stable it will be and it takes sweet-fck-all to roll any quad...the smarter people carry deer in the foot well rather than on the load carrier, getting the COG as low as one can.

Quote Originally Posted by stagstalker;950024[B
    ]I am investigating getting a quad[/B] for hunting. I’ve done a bit of reading and the Honda TRX350 and 500 seem to get good reviews. I liked the idea of the TRX420 for size but they seem to have some bad history? Suzuki King Quads look good too but what models?

Some criteria that I am considering:
    Reliability
    Stability with loads and on uneven / technical terrain
    350 - 500cc range
    Gearing / off-road ability

If I get one I won’t have a lot to spend so looking at around the 2000 - 2012 sort of range bikes. Thoughts?

KH
    The Voice of Reason, Come let us Reason together...

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGunn View Post
    if ya wanna carry a ute load, get a ute...or tow a trailer...the more weight on top of the quad the less stable it will be and it takes sweet-fck-all to roll any quad...the smarter people carry deer in the foot well rather than on the load carrier, getting the COG as low as one can.
    Yup I realise that. Obviously when I’m talking loaded it is a pack, some basic recovery gear and then a couple of deer on the way out if successful. Have used quads for said purposes with the mentioned loads plenty of times over the years with my old man, just never paid attention to what systems they actually were. The best stability when loaded is more important to me then comfort for just cruising along hence my question.

Seems to be some mixed opinions on the subject from what I have read. Some say a diff with twin shocks takes loads better especially when leaning sideways etc as IRS will tend to dive down on the low side. But then others say the IRS is more stable haha.

Irs is more stable when just your self but as soon as you put a uneven load on the bike the solid real axial would be better & with irs you can travel over rough county faster but when traveling faster can mack it a lot easyer to loose control I would only buy a solid real axial bike my self it dosing matter to me if it 1 or 2 rear shocks
    stagstalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hunt08 View Post
    Irs is more stable when just your self but as soon as you put a uneven load on the bike the solid real axial would be better & with irs you can travel over rough county faster but when traveling faster can mack it a lot easyer to loose control I would only buy a solid real axial bike my self it dosing matter to me if it 1 or 2 rear shocks
    Good info, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    I am only familiar with the older 300cc Honda/Suzuki/Kawasaki.

Those older hondas are as reliable as an axe but rust out the bottom chassis rails.....ones ex dairy farms probably dont even exist anymore.
    The same generation Suzuki has a far better 3 speed transfer case and front diff lock and independent rear end but has carb and fuel valve issues, technically much better than the Honda but its not a Honda.
    The Kawa of the same capacity and era is kinda the awkward sister to the other two, didnt do anything great or badly but didnt get market share.

On the 420 I borrowed one off of a dealer to take Toby for a hunt and on new tires it was mercilessly thrashed breaking trail in deep snow 2up on high country tracks and it performed well there but the two people I know who own them have had electrical problems and one of them is at the end of his tether with it and will get it going(again) and sell it.

If I was to buy one of those older quads it would be the Honda or Suzi simply for parts support.
    The old Suzuki 300 with locker and big rear tyres is a winner in the rough sticky stuff. I've given up making the rear suspension work though. Tried different shocks, in length and spring weight and it'still rock hard. I suspect it's a lot to do with the geometry of the linkages.

Honestly mate, for what you want it for (a hunting bike essentially), any reliable model quad will be fine. 400cc minimum, especially on steeper country. Honda or suzuki are the only brands I would buy 2nd hand. Don't buy one that's been on a dairy farm, preferably a drystock farm that's inland and not too steep if possible. Find one with decent tyres on already. Our 10' TRX500 has 47,000 kms on it and the speedo stopped a couple of years ago.
    Stocky and stagstalker like this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

I've found the older Hondas the best for stability. I've had an older Foreman 400 and then "upgraded" to a TRX350. The TRX350 does the job but the foreman was a bit more stable and that slightly extra grunt made a world of difference.
    I've never had a suzuki but the handful I have ridden didn't feel anywhere near as stable as my older hondas.
    stagstalker likes this.

I've ridden most brands over the last 20 yrs.for my money it's hard to beat honda.The old 300 was legendary. The 420 have had issues (what brand hasn't?).I personally like the 500 with solid rear,the newer ones have front diff lock.Get a manual gearbox the auto's are shit.I don't think anyone mentioned this but in my opinion tyres are more important than what suspension you have.Big chunky tyres will get you farther than diff locks.just my 2 cents
    stagstalker likes this.

When I bought mine, I could get a brand new Polaris Ute 570 with power steering, independent suspension, 180kg payload and 'proper' mud tires for not much more than a second hand Honda or Suk.
    Now for all the Polaris haters out there, I figured that puts me on a brand new bike with warrantee versus an old second hand with 15-20,000km on it. Which ones going to cost me more in maintenance and which one is going to be more reliable for the next few years?
    That said, I dondn't make a living from my quad (no longer farming), so mine does prety low hours per year now.

I've had two and three up on the Polaris Ute, and two up with the meat from three boned out red hinds in the back without issue, and I consider myself pretty risk adverse. When needed, I kick the passengers off before tackling particularly difficult terain.
    The Polaris Ute has a slightly longer wheel base than normal quads which helps with stability.
    stagstalker likes this.

I’ve got my eye on a tidy TRX350 that looks good and tidy but thinking a TRX500 might be the go if I can find a good deal. Thanks for the info thus far

@stagstalker I've got an early 2000s TRX 350. It's a beaut, pretty sure it's had an engine recon because it doesn't blow a puff of smoke, ever and uses zero oil. You can also open up the exhaust port with a die grinder and get some better performance out of them as well. They're nice and small, not too heavy if you get in the shit. I need a new starter motor for it, but if you want to borrow it to see how you like them, I can bring over next time I come up your ways.
    stagstalker likes this.