Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Isuzu Bighorn or something else?

Banned
    Cool, good to know

Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post
    And some one somewhere will tell you the bighorn is shit, which is what i was poking a little borax at really. My fist driving experience was an Austin A 40 and a Woslely 4/44. God forbid I have to go back to that "old shit"
    And why I was poking the Borax back.

First vehicle I drove on the road was a Hillman Hunter with a trailer when I was thirteen. Have driven all sorts of interesting things since. Notable mentions include a 50's Vangard, Landies, Gypsy and a Fiat Uno with three foot pedals on completely different planes, needed left knee behind left ear to put foot on clutch.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by stevodog View Post
    are the 6cyl ones any good? The 3 door 4cyl ones look the most capable but the xl7 models look to be good for a sleeper platform in the back.
    My ex boss had one and he gave it shit off road and it lasted alright just little thirsty on gas

Quote Originally Posted by Ground Control View Post
    I currently own way to many Toyotas of varying descriptions so you would be correct in assuming I'm biased and a Fanboy .
    Buttttt........ , my father inlaw owned and drove a Bighorn from new and that thing was a tank and he got many years of faithful service from it .
    An old vehicle is always going to have problems and cost money , the perfect car/ute has never been invented .
    Any vehicle used for 4x4 work is going to cost you money.
    tetawa and ROKTOY like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    And why I was poking the Borax back.

First vehicle I drove on the road was a Hillman Hunter with a trailer when I was thirteen. Have driven all sorts of interesting things since. Notable mentions include a 50's Vangard, Landies, Gypsy and a Fiat Uno with three foot pedals on completely different planes, needed left knee behind left ear to put foot on clutch.
    A Hillman hunter? Luxury, pure luxury. I had a vanguard wagon supplied for a work vehicle way back, it wasn't uncommon to have to ask the customer for a push at the end of the day.
    I had a 50s Morris oxford, flat head with a split windscreen. Only vehicle Iv ever made money on but it was old and pretty shit. Was glad it had a crank handle on many occasions.
    mudgripz, gadgetman and sometimes1 like this.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post
    A Hillman hunter? Luxury, pure luxury. I had a vanguard wagon supplied for a work vehicle way back, it wasn't uncommon to have to ask the customer for a push at the end of the day.
    I had a 50s Morris oxford, flat head with a split windscreen. Only vehicle Iv ever made money on but it was old and pretty shit. Was glad it had a crank handle on many occasions.
    I lie, it was one of those Avengers. Just so happened that the Vanguard was also a work vehicle for my brother. He used to like reminding his boss that it was the same age as him, and it was knackered. Was eventually sold to someone to haul boats in and out of the briny. Folks had an Oxford too, think the jack handle was also the crank handle. Uncles 8HP Morrie Minor was fun to drive on the open road.

I like driving the old stuff, you actually have to drive them,
    sneeze likes this.

Thats the skit I had in mind. I forgot it was pre Python.
    I dont share you like of driving old stuff.i i remember it more like battling a contrary child. I want it to start, it wont then latter it over heats and pre ignition keeps it running when you want it to turn off. I want it to move and its reluctant yet try and stop it and wants to keep going. Try and get it go straight and it wanders then ask it go around a corner and it wants to go straight. Take off on a hill and it wont but try and make it stay with the handbrake and it rolls away. Iv done my time in old stuff, your welcome to it.
    gadgetman and csmiffy like this.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

An old vehicle is always going to have problems and cost money , the perfect car/ute has never been invented .[/QUOTE]

If only every customer of mine could get this through their head. All cars/utes will have issues when they get older and more kms on them. Especially ones which have never been looked after. As you say the perfect car has never and will never be invented
    gadgetman and Ground Control like this.

Right... so i've been looking at a few Isuzu Bighorns and settled on one i liked then i bumped into a car dealer and found a Toyota Surf that i liked!

I'm a bit like a magpie... something nice and shiny comes along and it grabs my attention!

Anyway... i was settled on this surf as i thought it was a good buy until i told the wife what i liked and wanted and then she's like... you got a perfectly good car, just use it and then get something later on this year... she's got a point so without continuing to argue and trying to compromise i'm holding off until towards the end of the year when i'll look for a proper 4x4 but i do like the Surf's as the one i drove ticked all the boxes.

It's so much easier sneaking in new rifles like the new Kimber and the CZ than buying something BIG like a vehicle

Anyway i appreciate all the advice on the thread as i've learnt a bit... what can you all recommend about Toyota Surf's... what to look for?

Depending on model/year. But if diesel, keep it cool, get radiator flushed and track down a lower temp thermostat, there are other mods you can do to help with temperature but rad and thermo are usually enough. If auto fit a remote transmission oil cooler.(petrol or diesel). Petrol V6 can be thirsty, especially the earlier ones. 2.7 petrol 4 cylinder are good engines.