Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Jetstar Firearms check in

Jetstar Firearms check in

I'm flying to Auckland Monday with several firearms on Jetstar and still haven't been given specific check in information

Anyone flown Jetstar Domestic with firearms recently ?

I have booked over weight and over size CHCH to Auckland and return
    I have spoken to a customer service person ( who frankly couldn't tell me the process and was no help at all ) and was given the email address to register the firearms for book in
    I have not received any additional information on the book in process after 3 days.

The firearms are all disassembled and in a single large locked case and I will not be taking any ammunition with them.

Any recent experiences and tips on how things went with Jetstar and firearms appreciated

Frankly with the cost of dealer to dealer transfers, with multiple rifles to move in both directions and a friendly forum member to pick up, loan of vehicle and accommodation its just cheaper and easier to fly and catch up with a few collectors.
    Put a face to a few forum names.
    Redistribute some finished projects to guys who will appreciate them.
    Bring home some new projects for this winter

Cheers
    csmiffy and makka like this.
    The Church of
    John Browning
    of the Later-Day Shooter

I stopped flying Dick Star no matter how cheap they are because every time you check in with firearms they make you feel like a criminal. No one seems to know what's going on. They wrap tape around you bags if they have any ammo in them leaving a sticky residue. It's always such a drama. Good luck.
    csmiffy and Penguin like this.

I do it all the time. A heads up as you have done, rock up, they will wrap some yellow tape around the case, make sure it’s locked and then they chuck through the oversize scanner.

Don’t be a smart ass at the counter, only tell them the bare minimum and in a language they understand, they don’t need a lesson in firearm operation or how things dissemble etc. Sorry for sounding like a dick but some people are so arrogant and think all people should understand the difference between a semi auto shotgun and an under and over.

Auckland is a bit of a cluster, sometimes comes out at the Jetstar desk, sometimes at the door beside luggage belt or sometimes in between.

Overall piece of piss if you have a ounce of patience
    7mmwsm, 308, akaroa1 and 1 others like this.

I have not done so recently, but I am interested to hear a report on your experience to see if there is any changes since last time I flew.

I imagine there will be some differences. Sometime around mid 2000’s I attempted to check in a locked guitar case with my m14 in it. I was told by the nice Air NZ lady that it will be cheaper to put the firearm into my other bag so I don’t have to pay for additional luggage. There wasn’t much time left to check in and I explained I would have to disassemble the firearm to fit it in my bag, and I asked if there is somewhere I could go and do that. She told me it was ok to do it at the counter. So there I was, stripping down my M14 and stuffing the parts into my clothes at the check in counter of Palmerston North airport, and no one batted an eyelid! Those were days.
    Mistral, Marty Henry, RV1 and 4 others like this.

Sounds stupid but they are part of qantas so u need to follow this
    https://www.qantas.com/nz/en/travel-...-firearms.html

Download form , apply online , show firearms licence , and the dangerous goods form u downloaded though it states ammo u still need it , don't ask why

So FAL and their ( qantas) form
    Be prepared to wait on that side for about 25 mins ( it's goes to oversize luggage , or it gets brought out to u , next to baggage carousel, depends on the day
    Done it 4 times in last 6 months ,leave plenty time o. Your schedule for check in , more for collection. Chc is worse for collection. U will need to have firearms separated. Eg bolt can go in check in , rest in locked container , though it does stay ammo , take that form with u. Seriously that's what they wanna see
    https://www.qantas.com/nz/en/travel-...tml#ammunition
    sgteval and XR500 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharki View Post
    Sounds stupid but they are part of qantas so u need to follow this
    https://www.qantas.com/nz/en/travel-...-firearms.html

Download form , apply online , show firearms licence , and the dangerous goods form u downloaded though it states ammo u still need it , don't ask why

So FAL and their ( qantas) form
    Be prepared to wait on that side for about 25 mins ( it's goes to oversize luggage , or it gets brought out to u , next to baggage carousel, depends on the day
    Done it 4 times in last 6 months ,leave plenty time o. Your schedule for check in , more for collection. Chc is worse for collection. U will need to have firearms separated. Eg bolt can go in check in , rest in locked container , though it does stay ammo , take that form with u. Seriously that's what they wanna see
    https://www.qantas.com/nz/en/travel-...tml#ammunition
    That's helpful

There is no firearms tab on their websites
    Pretty bloody confusing
    I guess it's the ammo that's the dangerous part for the airlines
    The Church of
    John Browning
    of the Later-Day Shooter

Never done or been asked for a form, but I don’t take ammo

Quote Originally Posted by akaroa1 View Post
    That's helpful

There is no firearms tab on their websites
    Pretty bloody confusing
    I guess it's the ammo that's the dangerous part for the airlines
    Yes, the ammunition is dangerous goods so there are acceptance, storage and separation issues for them, the firearm is just luggage with some precautions and awareness.

Jetstar are the devil.
    NRT likes this.

Part of the dangerous goods is that u have done the online bit for firearm
    Just do it for paperwork bit , even though u don't take ammo , ots their proof u read and got permission
    Oh and a heads up, when u booked extra luggage u got the free mea package and seat choice , if u didn't see there was a drop down menu on food, if u didn't select it , u gonna end up with the most horrible gluten free banana cake go change it if u havent selected something, the other options are still shitty , but 5 x better ,

With Jetstar yiu pay fir what you get but often don't get what you pay for. I refuse to fly with them now and for several years.
    shift14 and MarkN like this.
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

Only early morning chc - auckland sadly
    Or was when I needed it , only reason to fly them

I'm simply not interested in food or coffe on flights

I'm a coffee snob and have world class coffee every day at home
    Likewise a decent breakfast pre flight and a nice cafe lunch in Auckland with my forum member chauffeur.
    Much more civilised

I'm there for 3 full days so plenty of time to do the business
    Jhon likes this.
    The Church of
    John Browning
    of the Later-Day Shooter

Well sent two requests through the on line portal and we live in hope that it works on the day
    The Church of
    John Browning
    of the Later-Day Shooter

Banned
    A lot depends on the competancy of the person you deal with. I have had amazing dealings and abysmal dealings - although with Air NZ and at smaller airports

Quote Originally Posted by Jhon View Post
    With Jetstar yiu pay fir what you get but often don't get what you pay for. I refuse to fly with them now and for several years.
    Same here. Back in the day tried them a few times only to be disappointed each time. Finally gave up and never went back. Never regretted it.