Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Mercedes ML270

Quote Originally Posted by 6x47 View Post
    and he would have given it hard work in the mud and water no doubt
    Only the suspension methinks

Quote Originally Posted by mudgripz View Post
    .. neighbour ..bought a 5-7 year old BMW with the V10 in it - 500+hp model...showed me one receipt from previous owner for a complete new gearbox - price was $34,000 plus change. Told me yeah the gearboxes have a weakness!!! ...
    That's the one I had. Those sequential manuals were a pain in the arse and you really had to to drive it with manual selection (either the paddles or the little stick) as the Auto mode was laggy as hell. The clutch also didn't like slipping. We had a holiday house in Taupo at that stage and you had to back the boat up a steep driveway. I soon found out you had to carefully line it up and "drop" the clutch else there would be this terrible persistent burning smell.. I never had to have the clutch redone but it was a common issue.

While I'm at it, might as well tell you a little story about potential repair bills of which I had a lucky escape. I had sold it just out of warranty over the phone to a Russian in Akl for cash(!!) and was heading up to Akl the following day to deliver it. Driving sedately round town, the system gave a warning ding and the Engine symbol came up on the dash. Just another faulty sensor I thought. Took it into the dealership and they couldn't put a finger on exactly what it was other than the No.1 cylinder had shut down. BMW NZ had to get the tools in to pull it down as no-one had needed to do it before. Two weeks later, they arrived and the local dealership ripped the heads off which is a major with those engines. 40 valves with VANOS, bloody impressive to look at . Anyway, ultimate diagnosis was the spring on intake valve No.1 has collapsed. The valve had remained up ( must have slightly tweaked the stem) and hadn't pinged the piston. They consulted Germany and their advice was "Replace the whole engine" which was bullshit given the evidence. A crate engine was gonna be a mere $70K but before they tried to insist on that, I made it clear to the dealership and BMW NZ that it could end up a major PR disaster if they didn't come to the party. It took a top mechanic the thick end of a week to rip down both heads and replace -all- springs. The valve stems on those are only about 5mm diam (8250 redline) so he used a fair bit of motorcycle gear doing it. In the end, it cost me nothing other than about 6 weeks off the road so I had to drive the ute.

As has been said, if you can't afford to buy a new one, you probably can't afford to own an out-of-warranty one.
    Last edited by 6x47; 09-09-2021 at 08:33 PM.
    Trout and mudgripz like this.

Laminar
    Quote Originally Posted by CheekiBreeki View Post
    -Goes well for a 2.1 tonne truck, especially chipped as mine is.
    -3500kg tow rating. I honestly don't even notice our big double horse float is behind it..
    -Good fuel economy (especially after I had the cats gutted) 8ish L/100km open road, 11 in mixed urban/highway
    -Heavy vehicle mass means a lot of the suspension componentry is starting to get a bit beaten up @ 180kms (bushes mainly, but that may be down to age as much as anything
    So. You wank on about saving the planet with an EV... then have made every shonkey emissions control mod on your 20 year old diesel shitbox...wow.
    Mauser308 likes this.
    "Did you know deer aren't bulletproof, and they're made of food?" - Joe Rogan
    Diligentia Vis Celeritas
    Life Advice

6x47 - you are bloody lucky .

A good thing you got stuck into the BMW dealer. Alot of people wouldn't and would have been stuck with a $70,000 motor bill - a house deposit until recently The flash euros are a huge risk...

Family friend had the Audi S8 (V8 saloon). Good grunty motor but VERY costly to service. Was at his place and told him had just had my Nissan 350Z sportie (VQ35 motor, 287hp) for about $150 all up. His routine Audi service over $800.....
    Last edited by mudgripz; 09-09-2021 at 09:19 PM.

$800 is pretty average. Have had S5, A7, S7 Audis. The basic service cost on my current E63S AMG was about that but then there was a mere $2600 of "longer term maintenance" (diff filters, etc, etc) on top of that. If ya wanna play, ya gotta pay.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    So. You wank on about saving the planet with an EV... then have made every shonkey emissions control mod on your 20 year old diesel shitbox...wow.
    You don't actually understand what you're arguing.. just another poorly informed crank TBH

There's no inconsistency for me, since I'm only worried about climate change from carbon emissions, not air quality pollution in the form of Nitrogen/Sulphur dioxides (acid rain) and Soot (particulate carbon). Removing the cat converters isn't an issue from climate change perspective, they only convert Nitrogen dioxides and Carbon monoxide/unburned hydrocarbons to C02/Nitrogen and Water. The particulates and Sulphur dioxide from my 'shitbox' are actively cooling the planet , hence why I'm not worried. If the extra soot gives a few more people cancer or heart disease, so be it, there are too many people on this rock as it is..

The reduced fuel consumption after gutting the cats actually reduces the overall CO2 emissions of this truck by 10%. I'd also note the truck only gets driven 5000km per year for longer trips and when we need to tow. It'll be redundant in a few years, so I'll keep it running until then.

MSL
    Itís not a truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    mimms2 likes this.

Laminar
    You don't actually understand what you're arguing.. just another poorly informed crank TBH

There's no inconsistency for me, since I'm only worried about climate change from carbon emissions, not air quality pollution in the form of Nitrogen/Sulphur dioxides (acid rain) and Soot (particulate carbon). Removing the cat converters isn't an issue from climate change perspective, they only convert Nitrogen dioxides and Carbon monoxide/unburned hydrocarbons to C02/Nitrogen and Water. The particulates and Sulphur dioxide from my 'shitbox' are actively cooling the planet , hence why I'm not worried. If the extra soot gives a few more people cancer or heart disease, so be it, there are too many people on this rock as it is..

The reduced fuel consumption after gutting the cats actually reduces the overall CO2 emissions of this truck by 10%. I'd also note the truck only gets driven 5000km per year for longer trips and when we need to tow. It'll be redundant in a few years, so I'll keep it running until then.
    I liked the bit where: you tell me what I think, then argue against it.
    Clearly I'm not needed for this, you can have it all in your head...

PS.
    Pretty sure they haven't had sulfur in diesel since, oh, around about before your wagon was manufactured.

PPS. Pretty sure you're misguided about everything.
    Worried about climate change from carbon, just not all the carbon that would make you a raving hypocrite. Got it.

PPPS. Life as humans know it, on earth, is carboniferous. If you're worried about carbon there's probably 80 odd kilos you could compost, that would have a massive positive flow on effect...
    Diligentia Vis Celeritas
    Life Advice

Banned
    I liked the bit where: you tell me what I think, then argue against it.
    Clearly I'm not needed for this, you can have it all in your head...

PS.
    Pretty sure they haven't had sulfur in diesel since, oh, around about before your wagon was manufactured.

PPS. Pretty sure you're misguided about everything.
    Worried about climate change from carbon, just not all the carbon that would make you a raving hypocrite. Got it.

PPPS. Life as humans know it, on earth, is carboniferous. If you're worried about carbon there's probably 80 odd kilos you could compost, that would have a massive positive flow on effect...
    Dude, everyone here knows you're a crackpot - keep spewing your garbage at full throttle. Don't let me get in the way of putting your foot in your mouth

continue.

Laminar
    Dude, everyone here knows you're a crackpot - keep spewing your garbage at full throttle. Don't let me get in the way of putting your foot in your mouth
    I liked the bit where you facts rather than ad-hominem waffle...oh hang about...
    Diligentia Vis Celeritas
    Life Advice

Banned
    I liked the bit where you facts rather than ad-hominem waffle...oh hang about...
    Keep it classy dude..

Everything in my post re: emissions was correct and factual, it's not my fault you can't get your head around the facts. No need to take it out on me and suggest the world would be better off if I were composted, you small minded little bitch.

All Euro vehicles are great off road, spend most of their time off road,,, broken down.
    mudgripz, ONYVA and paremata like this.

Laminar
    Keep it classy dude..
    You just know that's what I'm all about.

Everything in my post re: emissions was correct and factual, it's not my fault you can't get your head around the facts.
    Except it isn't. As exhibit A) I present the whiney european tree-hugger federation's assessment of diesel exhaust (2021)

"Typical chemical constitutes generated from engine emmissions:

Carbon Soot

Carbon monoxide

Carbon dioxide

Oxides of nitrogen

Formaldehyde, Acrolein,Glutaldehyde, Acetaldehyde

Benzene, Toulene, Ethyl Benzene, Xylene

Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons"

You'll notice a distinct lack of
    Sulphur dioxides (acid rain)
    Which is probably, as I said (in -fact-, back there) Because they've taken the sulfur out of pump diesel.

No need to take it out on me and suggest the world would be better off if I were composted, you small minded little bitch.
    You're not doing anything to improve my opinion of you....

You were the one that said:

a few more people cancer or heart disease, so be it, there are too many people on this rock as it is..
    So, I'm only doing you a favour by suggesting a really eco-friendly option you obviously haven't considered. I mean, over your life time your carbon contribution (self righteous and otherwise) is going to be through the roof.

You are the only person you have control over. Whinging at/about everyone else isn't going to solve anything. If you were actually serious about carbon.... well, you know.
    Diligentia Vis Celeritas
    Life Advice

Keep calm and....Carry on.
    XR500 likes this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?