Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: my poor hot smurf

Quote Originally Posted by Konev View Post
    if its a automatic keep in mind you may need a trans cooler fitted as well.
    Yes it is an auto, you may have to forgive my ignorance. I realise what it is and does, but does this not come on the new radiator? I am working on the assumption that since I asked for a replacement radiator for my truck it would come exactly as what I took out. So I would be able to plug all the hoses back in and away she goes. Is that not the case?

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    If it was me I'd stop looking. That is a good price and I doubt the Toyota part would be any better.
    Yeah, I thought it was but I'll just make another couple of calls tomorrow to be sure. I was hoping someone would say the aftermarket one would be just as good.

Cheers, Rhys

there is a cooling setup in the factory radiator for the transmission located in the bottom of the radiator.

one popular mod to help keep things cooler is to remove this and put in an external transmission cooler. if you are towing a bit then keep original design while adding the external one into the line just to be sure.
    kiwijames likes this.

ITs a Smurf. Don't piss around and repair it.
    Get a new radiator top and bottom tank. Get the radiator checked out incase its all filled up with aluminum oxide and if in doubt replace it.
    At the same time get a new thermostat fitted and new water pump.

Smurfs have overheating issues, so it pays to do this once every 200k.
    kiwijames likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Konev View Post
    there is a cooling setup in the factory radiator for the transmission located in the bottom of the radiator.

one popular mod to help keep things cooler is to remove this and put in an external transmission cooler. if you are towing a bit then keep original design while adding the external one into the line just to be sure.
    ah yup, I'm with you, thanks for that. Main thing at the moment is to get the radiator changed so the truck is usable again. After that, I'll get it looked over properly to check for any further damage. Once that's all done and paid for, I'll look at further mods.

Cheers

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scottrods View Post
    Get a new radiator top and bottom tank. Get the radiator checked out incase its all filled up with aluminum oxide and if in doubt replace it.

Yep I agree. Had a plastic core radiator in the 1KZ-TE Smurf I owned so I'd doubt it would be different in yours. I understand these engines are regularly having the same issue. Mine got the head done, cam belt and water pump at the same time. If you can stump up with the cash it would be a good investment while you have the chance.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Quote Originally Posted by scottrods View Post

your not the first person to suggest a new water pump, what would be the rough price? And the thermostat, where is that located and is it hard to change?
    Yeah, I'm going the new radiator route, so hopefully I should be good for a while. Assuming I don't eff up the install.

Cheers

northdude
    sorry didn't know it was I 1kz type you might be lucky then the aftermarket radiators are fine we get ours off fenix and we fit a lot of them and havnt had any problems if you tell them its an auto they should supply an auto one depending on how mechanicaly minded you are its relatively easy to do radiators and waterpumps thermostats make sure you see what way the thermostat comes out and put it in the same way if it has a bleeder hole it goes to the top not always but some times they will fit both ways ive seen it done its going to need a radiator any way so id either get the tanks taken off your one and clean it out and get the tanks put back on or a new one if yours is past it then if you haven't already get it up to operating temp and let it cool right down naturally that will normalise it then use it and check the water every day when its cold at the bottle and take the cap off and check the radiator as well if there is a lot of pressure build up when its dead cold or its constantly needing the water topped up you need to look further keep an eye on temp guage when driving getting to hot or if it suddenly goes cold is not good

Put the brakes on,

With the new rad, get a manual one if you look in bottom pipe on the auto the oil cooler blocks 3/4 of the pipe
    Fit oil cooler on the front
    That price you got is good

Now if you take the cap off and run the truck
    Sniff test is always good shouldn't smell like an exhaust
    Cracked heads will blow the water out when running or you will notice you have another exhaust pipe via the rad filler

Quote Originally Posted by longrange308 View Post
    Put the brakes on,

With the new rad, get a manual one if you look in bottom pipe on the auto the oil cooler blocks 3/4 of the pipe
    Fit oil cooler on the front
    That price you got is good

Now if you take the cap off and run the truck
    Sniff test is always good shouldn't smell like an exhaust
    Cracked heads will blow the water out when running or you will notice you have another exhaust pipe via the rad filler
    So your talking buying a radiator for a manual truck and putting in a separate trans oil cooler right?

I do my own work but from memory the water pump was about $170, if rediator is out would be about 1/2 hour job to do pump (by the time you find the tools etc). When I got my surf I replace the top tank, then the bottom tank, then radiator, pretty much paid for two radiators. If top tank has split its a sign of wear likely throughout radiator and best to replace if you can afford it.

yeah pretty much set on replacing the radiator. It's not easy to see in the pictures but there is a leak about 150mm long along the seam between radiator and top tank on the left hand side so she's gone. To be honest, I'm a bit annoyed that the garage recommended repairing it a couple years ago. I had a bit of faith in them and had no idea how much a new radiator was. Anyway, moving on.
    Just now need to decide and make a move, really want to get all the parts ready for the weekend. The wife is going a bit mad being restricted by how much she can use the truck in it's present state.

If i'm installing a new ATF cooler, does anyone have any recommendations for one?

Cheers, Rhys

Ok, ok

after several pages I am none the wiser - what the flying fuck is a smurf, at least in this context?
    gadgetman and Tommy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post
    Ok, ok

after several pages I am none the wiser - what the flying fuck is a smurf, at least in this context?
    The Toymota Hilux's station wagon sibling.

308 likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by sheppard84 View Post
    So your talking buying a radiator for a manual truck and putting in a separate trans oil cooler right?
    Yes, when you take the old one out look in the bottom pipe and you will see what I mean

Quote Originally Posted by longrange308 View Post
    Yes, when you take the old one out look in the bottom pipe and you will see what I mean
    In that case, any recommendations for an ATF cooler, size etc? Or where to get one? I would have thought I should be able to get one from from A1 Radiators along with the new radiator.

There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of space to put one in.

Cheers