Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: New Boat Project?

Done some research and things are looking pretty good. Will go for HDPE and have found a local supplier and pricing. The stuff has about 20% increased impact resistance over aluminium and nearly 1/3rd the weight.

I'm not sure what shape or type of boat to build so I think a scale model or two will be in order and on that score I've found the perfect source of material for the models too. Just happens to be exactly 1/10th the thickness I want to use and a 1/10th scale model will be a good size for fat fingers to work with.

Living & Co Chopping Mat Flexible 2 Piece Assorted Colours | The Warehouse

I suppose other things to think about would be transom height, dead rise, ...
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Since I want a handy little boat I'll go for a high sided pontoon dinghy. Will maximize internal space with taller and narrower than usual pontoons, and fill them with polystyrene. Pretty much got the design sorted and should come out with a 4.1m x 1.9m hull tipping the scales at around 130kg. Got my eye on a 30HP 2-smoke with a 20" leg. Will be on the water with a trailer for about $5k.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Has this been done before GM? All the plastic welding I have seen before hasn't lent itself to me having a great deal of confidence being pushed along the water at any rate of knots...

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Has this been done before GM? All the plastic welding I have seen before hasn't lent itself to me having a great deal of confidence being pushed along the water at any rate of knots...
    Yes it has. I've done some plastic welding before and the stuff was very well glued. Like good arc welding the parent material next to the weld was the weakest. I'm planning on my usual over-engineered approach, just the way I do things.

http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...59/#post542465

Picked up a sample of the plastic to cut up and stick back together. Also had a looksie at a motor to put on the back.

Are you building some frameing into this or is it just hull and side sheets glued together with the transom holding shape?
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Are you building some frameing into this or is it just hull and side sheets glued together with the transom holding shape?
    Going for some framing under the floor and pontoons for the sides, with voids filled with polystyrene or EVA foam.

This plastic is seriously strong. Testing with aluminium of the same thickness I can easily fold and dent the ali by hand but not the plastic. I'll chop it up and have a go at welding it together. If it doesn't weld that well I'll then try the standard PE which has more give, greater impact strength, cheaper and easier to weld.

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Going for some framing under the floor and pontoons for the sides, with voids filled with polystyrene or EVA foam.

This plastic is seriously strong. Testing with aluminium of the same thickness I can easily fold and dent the ali by hand but not the plastic. I'll chop it up and have a go at welding it together. If it doesn't weld that well I'll then try the standard PE which has more give, greater impact strength, cheaper and easier to weld.
    How will you do your frameing? Can you buy extrusions or somehow heat and fold to make an angle? lots of welding otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    How will you do your frameing? Can you buy extrusions or somehow heat and fold to make an angle? lots of welding otherwise.
    I'll make the pontoons, then weld the frames to the pontoons, then stitch the hull skin on. Yes, can heat and bend.

veitnamcam likes this.

Was that weight including the motor? I'm looking for a light weight boat around 4m that I can lift over fences and carry to launch with 2-3 people so this has got me thinking. An inflatable would be perfect but spearguns are a risk. I'll watch this build with interest

Quote Originally Posted by distant stalker View Post
    Was that weight including the motor? I'm looking for a light weight boat around 4m that I can lift over fences and carry to launch with 2-3 people so this has got me thinking. An inflatable would be perfect but spearguns are a risk. I'll watch this build with interest
    A 3000x1500x6 sheet weighs about 24kg this will use about 5 sheets for a 4.1 pontoon. There will be a fair few offcuts.

I'll make the pontoons, then weld the frames to the pontoons, then stitch the hull skin on. Yes, can heat and bend.

Ah that looks nothing like the one in the first video!
    gadgetman likes this.

Still half tempted to go bigger but want small. Bit scary thinking that the motor and tank will be about 80kg and the hull only about 120kg. Not sure 30 geegees will be required but the next step down in power is the same weight, and the next one down would be a but anemic.

Still half tempted to go bigger but want small. Bit scary thinking that the motor and tank will be about 80kg and the hull only about 120kg. Not sure 30 geegees will be required but the next step down in power is the same weight, and the next one down would be a but anemic.
    The answer is always more power.

Hull design and loading have a lot to do with power requirements, deeper V vs flatish bottom makes a big difference to both ride/stability/and power as the lift is vectored threw the hull angle and the wetted area is increased as angle is increased.

You will probably triple that hull weight fitted out and ready to go, My wee boat is around 780kilo all up ready to go with all gear aboard tho the 4mm hull and ply floor adds a bit of weight over "normal" for its size.

40hp is definitely min powered for that weight in my hull.

looking forward to seeing this
    Dont waste your time chasing every last fps, it doesnt matter in the real world, it wont make a difference, all it will do is cause head aches and frustrations. And dont listen to silly old cunts