Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: New Gadget Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Hmmmm. What is this rubbish about Toyotas not being affected by rust? All the ones I've seen have the stuff around the rear windows, particularly the sill, and the the windscreen. I take it that they are all 12V with parallel battery set up?
    Some have a 24volt start only system and everything else is 12volt on the truck. Look for a big ass solenoid on the LH guard area behind battery.
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

Quote Originally Posted by cambo View Post
    Some have a 24volt start only system and everything else is 12volt on the truck. Look for a big ass solenoid on the LH guard area behind battery.
    The voltmeter was showing 12V. Power seemed OK, had to really stand on the pedal. Might want to lighten that a bit or get keen fella to knock up one of those drinking stands so I can stand up for more push. Smoky engine, typical from what I gather on offroadexpress. Low head space in the back seats (5 seater). Very springy suspension with heavier duty springs/shocks in the back. Seats more comfortable for me. Felt reasonably 'tight' for the mileage.

Still in two minds.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Far as i know all the 80series are 12volt with 24volt start or at least everyone I have had anything to do with is.
    Should puff a bit of black if you stand on it till turbo winds up and very slight haze out the back full power up a hill etc.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Far as i know all the 80series are 12volt with 24volt start or at least everyone I have had anything to do with is.
    Should puff a bit of black if you stand on it till turbo winds up and very slight haze out the back full power up a hill etc.

Seems to be an issue with the valve seats in this engine. Any idea on the rating of the 24/12V converters? The rust doesn't look like too big a deal if caught early enough, the Jap import Hiaces had the same problem, same place in the rear windows. Did have some poke when I stood on the gas though. Yours 12V or 24V?
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

24v start 12v run.
    I have never had to titu with it but think it is just a big relay/contactor that puts the two batteries in series to feed the starter not a converter as such.
    Quite normal for them to blow a touch of blue smoke on the first couple of accelerations from cold till the turbo takes up slack and seals off, should not blow blue once warmed up.

24v start 12v run.
    I have never had to titu with it but think it is just a big relay/contactor that puts the two batteries in series to feed the starter not a converter as such.
    Quite normal for them to blow a touch of blue smoke on the first couple of accelerations from cold till the turbo takes up slack and seals off, should not blow blue once warmed up.
    Have heard a number of reasons they blow smoke when cold. Not a big issue. The diff locker version have better fuel economy and tyre wear?

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Have heard a number of reasons they blow smoke when cold. Not a big issue. The diff locker version have better fuel economy and tyre wear?
    I can't see how they would?

You would still need a kit to make it run 2x4 then. What do the diffs run at out of locker mode? Open/LSD?

Trucks with diff lockers, the diffs are open when un-locked
    Trucks without diff lockers have LSD rear diff, front is open.

Part time 4wd kit is a total different kettle of fish.

Open.
    Ran mine 2wd for a while when blew a front diff being a dick.
    Not sure i would want it part time to be honest. Pro can steer with throttle on gravel. Con gets real exciting on wet tar corners when it comes on boost.
    Would be much better in a manual(read controllable)

Cheers cambo. The old story, the only dumb question is the one you didn't ask when you should have.

I believe you can put some Isuzu LSD's in the front of Navaras.

Decisions, decisions, ....

Open.
    Ran mine 2wd for a while when blew a front diff being a dick.
    Not sure i would want it part time to be honest. Pro can steer with throttle on gravel. Con gets real exciting on wet tar corners when it comes on boost.
    Would be much better in a manual(read controllable)

I would love a manual but they are so rare in the Nissan or Toyota.

You can't just fit fwh's to the front to make it part itme 4wd. A modified spool is required in the transfer case.
    Just fitting fwh's you will have to drive around with the centre diff locked - which will destroy the transfer pretty damn quickly.

Having part time 4wd makes a big difference to economy. That's probably the biggest reason people do it. But then you have to weigh up the cost of the kit and fitting over fuel and maintenance savings etc.
    Doesn't effect drivability negatively at all.

Quote Originally Posted by cambo View Post
    You can't just fit fwh's to the front to make it part itme 4wd. A modified spool is required in the transfer case.
    Just fitting fwh's you will have to drive around with the centre diff locked - which will destroy the transfer pretty damn quickly.

Having part time 4wd makes a big difference to economy. That's probably the biggest reason people do it. But then you have to weigh up the cost of the kit and fitting over fuel and maintenance savings etc.
    Doesn't effect drivability negatively at all.
    That is my thinking.

Yeah manuals are generally in the lower spec vehicles as well.
    Most people wanted the VX LTD fully specced out for bling factor.

There are a few 105 series floating around. 100 series Cruiser with 80 series running gear, solid front end and manual.
    Harder to find than rockinghorse poo, and if you do find 1 they are worth a bazillion cause the owner knows what they got.
    Like this 1....
    FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 - Thinking about selling the Land Cruiser