Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: New Truck Ideas

Yeah maintenance costs are a drag, but still way cheaper than buying a new truck... which reminds me I need new shocks.
    kokako likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Yeah maintenance costs are a drag, but still way cheaper than buying a new truck... which reminds me I need new shocks.
    I had a constant 100 bucks a week going into my tool account when I had the 80series and that didnt keep up
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Your 80 series sounds like it was a hell of a money pit man, you're probably better off without it.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Your 80 series sounds like it was a hell of a money pit man, you're probably better off without it.
    Yes

Sounds like I don't want one of dems
    Shootm, veitnamcam and GWH like this.
    "I heard Jesus did cocaine on a night out. Eyes wide-open, dialated, but he's fine now. And if his father ever finds out, then he'd probably knock his lights out...
    Gets a little messy in heaven "
    - Venbee

I've had 5 Hilux's in the past 18 years, diesel and petrol. I travel around 30,000km per year.

I did the math between my late 90's 3.0 non-turbo diesel and my early 2000's 3.4 quad cam petrol and the real wold all up cost including maintenance, RUC and fuel worked out at around $0.02/per Km more expensive with the petrol. Performance wise I would choose the petrol hands down. The only mechanical issue I ever had was the clutch went in the diesel at 60,000km. The V6 averaged 12.358L/100km on 91 octane, and 11.668L/100km on 95/98 octane. That said, this was back when the cost of diesel was way cheaper in relation to the cost of petrol. The $0.02 difference probably wouldn't exist on today's prices.

Stepping up to the later model Vigo's, I have had a 3.0 turbo diesel and two 4.0 petrol's. The Vigo is a much bigger and more roomy than its predecessor. The 4.0 is a sweet motor and is what I currently drive.
    Fuel consumption is 13.09 on 91, and 13.25 on 98. That said, the speedo is out by 9% so real world is probably more like 12L/100km on 98.
    I have just gone up a tyre size and put a roof rack on top but haven't done any economy checks since.

What's your fuel consumption like on the Subaru 3.0? From what I understand they are rather thirsty .......

One thing to consider with second hand later model diesels, with the extremely high fuel pressures they run at now in order to gain power and economy, if something goes wrong with the fuel system you are in for a lot of money. The parts used are generally not repairable and must be replaced. A typical set of injectors run at $2k EACH, and a fuel pump is around $4k, so if you are looking at a higher mileage truck, you need to keep $12k in reserve just in case the fuel system is worn out or craps out. A couple of friends i have are mechanics, and their advise is if you are looking at a >10 year old vehicle, go petrol as the service cost [and risk of a major] is way less.
    Last edited by hotbarrels; 19-01-2017 at 07:22 AM.
    Shootm, veitnamcam, 199p and 2 others like this.

Cheers @hotbarrels.

Has anyone had anything owned, looked into or considered a VW Touareg? Look nice to drive and big enough donkey to tow. According to the aa website towing capacity of 3500kg braked.
    "I heard Jesus did cocaine on a night out. Eyes wide-open, dialated, but he's fine now. And if his father ever finds out, then he'd probably knock his lights out...
    Gets a little messy in heaven "
    - Venbee

family wise you can still fit car seats in the rear of a double cab ute, I've got two in mine.

You'll appreciate a ute when you go fishing or hunting, just throw everything on the back no matter how lost and smelly it is.

I've heard that the VW is too higher geared for serious towing, however this isn't first hand experience.
    puku likes this.

My son has a school friend who's dad works for Orix. He came to pick his son up from our place one night in the new Highland.
    We didn't talk much about the highland but I asked him about lease utes and what was his experience considering the number of vehicles they have out there, in particular, what issues they have had.

Below were the key points:
    1. They don't typically lease Hilux because Toyota NZ wont discount the price to lease companies like the other manufacturers, therefore the lease cost to the 'buyer' is not competitive. However, some corporate's will only use Toyota, and they have the least number of issues with these over the other makes.
    2. By far the greatest number of lease utes are the Ford Ranger. Biggest issue with the Ranger [and all Fords for that matter in their lease fleet] is rust. They have had several engine and gearbox issues but generally the mechanical's are ok.
    3. The worst ute in their fleet for mechanical problems, the VW Amarok. He said based on their experience, he wouldn't touch one with a barge pole. Not sure how that would relate to the Touareg?? I guess you would need to see if the engines and gearboxes are the same.

Like all makes, there are some good and some bad models in the line up so it pays to do the research [as you are doing]. In addition to my Hilux V6 [and in an effort to keep its Km's down a bit] I bought a VW Polo GTi as an around town car. It has a stage 2 Revo performance kit fitted - the thing is manic, but oh so much fun to drive!

We run Toyota Hiaces and Hilux's for our lease vehicles. I haven't heard of any of our local guys having any serious mechanical issues. They are very ordinary vehicles though. I have noticed in other regions we seem to be moving towards Rangers for utes.

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    We run Toyota Hiaces and Hilux's for our lease vehicles. I haven't heard of any of our local guys having any serious mechanical issues. They are very ordinary vehicles though. I have noticed in other regions we seem to be moving towards Rangers for utes.
    I think it is more about the package the "Brand" can put forward for the company than anything else...,ranger spewing coolant from back of head in golden bay the other week,trailer job shees fucked....you wont hear about that or the one that locked up its gearbox and went sideways on the wangies with less than 1000km on it either.

ALL these modern DIESEL vehicles are having pretty high fail rates in warrenty and being hushed hushed.

My mates newish ranger had some issue that resulted in it dumping all its coolant into the exhaust manifold. Have heard their gear boxes are pretty shitty.

Talking to a tow truck driver yesterday picking up a newish ranger ,I asked him what he rescued the most out of the brands and ford ranger was the answer.

GWH
    I wouldn't buy a ranger even if I got one for half price.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    308 likes this.

Wasn't here a horrible picture involving ranger owners playing in the mud.... That's put me off owning one
    veitnamcam, JoshC and GWH like this.