Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree208Likes

Thread: New Ute Dilemma

New Ute Dilemma

I don't have to do this but here's what Im considering.

Current ute is a late 2020 Ranger PX3 XLT (wellside). 95,000km. Ive had a "habit" of moving my utes on before 100,000km. Strange behaviour maybe but thats what I do.

I travel 30K a year. Long trips. Not much towing but no more than a trailer and quad. About 80% tarmac. 15% gravel. 5% off road

If I buy a new one as proposed it will be my last new vehicle before a zimmer frame. Thats a certainty. Im not flush with dosh and Ive budgeted $20k swap over price (ex GST). There is some depreciation payback on a new vehicle but not huge.

Options to swap into something else new (all with deck liner, mats and towbar) are:

Net of GST and including trade on Ranger.

Options:

Mitsi Triton VRX (run out model)
    $19,475.00

Toyoto SR5 Cruiser
    $29,190.00

Ford Ranger XLT
    $26,061.00

Or I could run my current well set up Ranger to around 200,00km and then get the zimmer frame.

What option looks the best and why?
    Woody and Barry the hunter like this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

My 2012 Ranger is now showing 220000 and still going strong, mind you its not the auto that had problems back then.
    Tahr likes this.
    Happy Jack.

I’d be keeping the ranger, 100ks is bugger all.
    7mmsaum, Tahr, crewe2 and 6 others like this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Firstly, there is no way in hell that you’ll be using a Zimmer frame in three years. Now that I have gotten that out of the way my view is keep the current Ute and ….. (here comes some Rushy genius) ……… go out and blow $20K on a hell of a holiday for you and the good missus. It’ll make you feel great to do it.
    Tahr, Savage1, Daithi and 7 others like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

If it was me I'd keep the well set up Ranger. I assume it preforms well and 200,000km isn't that many km if a ute is looked after (which I am sure it is).

I purchased a new Hilux 4 years ago and expect it to out live me.
    Tahr and Ned like this.

Does your current PX2 still have the EGR active? I started to get EGR fault codes at about 92K km and ended up having it disabled. Was going OK at 98K km when I sold it (v cheaply) to my son.

I too have a policy of flicking anything before 100K km as it's a bit of a mental barrier to some people. Yeh, I know, ... but that's what I do so you're not alone on that one Thar. The transmissions in the new model are so much nicer to drive than the old 6-speed.
    Tahr likes this.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    30kms per year, that's seems like relatively hot running trips. Should see you another 3 easy & keep the 20+k in your pocket. The EGR is a known problem on the PX1 & 2. My work supplied PX 1 did 2x egr coolers in 245000kms before it was sold to a staff member. I did 85000kms in my PX 2 with no issues before I changed jobs. The 3.2L engine is a nice unit & less highly strung than the current 2L with rubber band auto. EGR delete might be a good option if keeping.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk
    Tahr and veitnamcam like this.

Caretaker
    Keep the current Ute
    Tahr and NZHunter2301 like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Buy the new Hilux @Tahr you know you want to
    Tahr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    I don't have to do this but here's what Im considering.

Current ute is a late 2020 Ranger PX3 XLT (wellside). 95,000km. Ive had a "habit" of moving my utes on before 100,000km. Strange behaviour maybe but thats what I do.

I travel 30K a year. Long trips. Not much towing but no more than a trailer and quad. About 80% tarmac. 15% gravel. 5% off road

If I buy a new one as proposed it will be my last new vehicle before a zimmer frame. Thats a certainty. Im not flush with dosh and Ive budgeted $20k swap over price (ex GST). There is some depreciation payback on a new vehicle but not huge.

Options to swap into something else new (all with deck liner, mats and towbar) are:

Net of GST and including trade on Ranger.

Options:

Mitsi Triton VRX (run out model)
    $19,475.00

Toyoto SR5 Cruiser
    $29,190.00

Ford Ranger XLT
    $26,061.00

Or I could run my current well set up Ranger to around 200,00km and then get the zimmer frame.

What option looks the best and why?

keep the Ranger you know its history and it will see you out spend the money on trip to Stewart Island
    Tahr, mikee, dannyb and 1 others like this.

Remember the 7 “P”s; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

What I would do is ask the forum members with the same generation ute but higher mileage (200,xxx plus km) to add up their maintenance costs per year and what it was. If there are people who have done that much with a 4 year old ute

Then do a spreadsheet in excel that will tell you how many years of ranger ownership it'll take to cost you 20k.

I suspect it is a fair few years.
    Tahr likes this.

Convert your 100,000km mental barrier to miles, and 60K miles is only just run in for a well looked after modern diesel. The more cc's you have the less stressed your engine (and you) will be. Keep the 20K. Who knows where we will be in 12 months...
    Tahr, Maca49, Ross Nolan and 2 others like this.

@Tahr be like...... Skip the Zimmer.... Hold my beer...

Name:  images (2).jpeg
Views: 474
Size:  25.2 KB
    Tahr and Bos like this.

I'm going to upset the apple cart here a bit.
    My experience with Fords is that as they approach the 200k mark they tend to give trouble with the electronics. Seat belt sensors, tire sensors, can bus, all that sort of thing.
    I've found that their service agents are on the expensive side.
    The Triton is a good value proposition.
    Their service agents from my experience are easier to deal with and the services are more reasonable.
    I know a contractor who has a fleet of Utes that are worked hard, his staff can choose what ever brand they wish so they have tried them all.
    The only one that hasn't had to be put on trailer to be taken back to the dealer are the Mitsi's.
    I'm sure the odd Triton also gives trouble but the above is my real world observation and experience.