Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: No more Holden's, ever.

Quote Originally Posted by ROKTOY View Post
    Used to own a tan Sunbird
    When I lived in Oz I owned a Kingswood 202 for a while.

The apprentices where I worked could reel off all the Holden models since 1948.
    First question they asked when I got the Kingwood was what colour was the engine.

The engine in mine was Holden's first attempt at emission control and promptly burnt out a valve at low ks follow by another 2 years later.
    Mechanic recommended a Yellow Terra head to fix the issue. Sold car instead. End of Holden relationship.
    Mind you cheapish to repair. Replacement water pump (yep, that failed miles away from home) 30 bucks from a speed shop IIRC. Their used to be a joke that if you needed a part for your Kingswood you could usually rat around the local tip to find it.

The trimatic auto in the Kingswood was nicknamed traumatic by the Aussies, not without reason....

My current ride happens to be pushed along by a 429.....But I'm a Holden man through and through. Its a sad day indeed. What made Ford and Holden great here and in OZ was the rivalry that was created. Would there have been as much passion if there was only Ford or only Holden?
    I preferred bathurst back when there were Nissan's, fords, holdens, valiants, toyotas etc etc all racing each other. That made it more interesting.
    gadgetman and WallyR like this.

A Better Lover Than A Shooter Ultimitsu's Avatar
    This is probably an unpopular opinion in this forum...

Big gas guzzlers sedans are a product of the age of environmental ignorance. While they did serve their purposes and did have their fans, they have run their course in human civilisation and should properly be stored away as relics of the past. Just like coal burning steam engines. No matter how endearing (even a little romantic) they may be, no one actually wants to go back using them.
    Tahr likes this.

i was just driving a 5.0 mustang in the states, uses less gas than my subaru.
    Fawls, 2post and Jusepy like this.

Well I've only ever owned one Holden, a 2006 GTR Commodore. I really enjoyed it, big, throaty and comfortable.
    I have certainly owned more sensible cars and better cars but I still got a soft spot for a big Commodore or Falcon........

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimitsu View Post

Big gas guzzlers sedans are a product of the age of environmental ignorance. While they did serve their purposes and did have their fans, they have run their course in human civilisation and should properly be stored away as relics of the past. Just like coal burning steam engines. No matter how endearing (even a little romantic) they may be, no one actually wants to go back using them.
    Nah, not unpopular but I’ll continue to use my 1550cc motorbike, my 6 and 7+ litre Yank Tanks and any other car until there’s no petrol left or I run out of money - whichever comes first!plus
    199p, sharps no 1, viper and 1 others like this.

My commodore uses less fuel than my last jap car.
    We used to ask Holden drivers for their fuel stats when they went on a long trip.
    The four six and V8 all used the same amount of fuel.
    Small engines have to work much harder to keep the same weight vehicle moving.
    I for one need a comfortable seat and room to move my legs.
    WallyR likes this.
    Remember the 7 “P”s; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimitsu View Post

I agree. But Holden love is certainly no more silly than your love affair with shit Chinese 'scopes. And the Holden guys don't even have to wash their hands after handling them.
    Steve123, viper and Ultimitsu like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ROKTOY View Post
    Used to own a tan Sunbird
    Was it white when you bought it?

John Cadogan lays into management.
    https://youtu.be/94glSLmuDU4

Quote Originally Posted by Buzo View Post
    Was it white when you bought it?
    Nope.
    It was going to get a body kit and an 8. Sold it and bought a rotary instead.
    Went faster.

Sent from my SM-G390Y using Tapatalk
    Russian 22. likes this.

My 6.5 liter V8 used less fuel towing 2.5 ton than a new Hilux.I also got 300,000km out of a gearbox,the Hilux burned a trans under warranty and another one after.I have parked it up now but after 300 000km towing every day it's still not using any Oil.

I bought a new 4.8 liter V8 petrol Ute and it's still more economical than a Hilux,even more so since it has a LPG unit in it.
    WallyR likes this.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    I agree. But Holden love is certainly no more silly than your love affair with shit Chinese 'scopes. And the Holden guys don't even have to wash their hands after handling them.
    Of course it is sillier. My garage will never run out of space no matter how many shit Chinese scopes I have
    Tahr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    i was just driving a 5.0 mustang in the states, uses less gas than my subaru.
    All non-Japanese-domestic Subarus are all wheel drive. All wheel drive usually means more fuel because of additional internal friction and weight of additional parts. Sporty turbo versions are usually tuned to be fast so they wouldn't be economical either. But if you look at, say 2.4L turbo CVT Legacy, they provide pretty good economy, certainly a lot better than 5.0 Mustang. https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find...41563&id=41956
    gonetropo likes this.