Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: The price of R.U.C

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper80 View Post
    Mines a 97 nissan. Any tips would be appreciated
    Pull the dash out - the ODO should be a seperate unit below the speedo with a small 3? pin plug goign to it from the circuit board on the speedo.
    Unplu it and speed goes and odo doesn't - cut one of the wire and put a secret switch somewhere and Bobs your Aunty
    sniper80 likes this.

Going to have to do that ^. RUC is a pain in the rs. What's more of a rort tho' is the ACC increment in the Rego for these vehicles. I can't see how it can be justified...most accidents? most at risk? don't think so..
    Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what happened.

Where is my violin? Look at what you get for the money. You don't have to walk to your hunting spots or carry shopping home or walk to work every day, we take alot for granted. If we were smart we would go the way of the Dutch and start riding bicycles. Just put $20 aside every time you fill up your tank, pretty much the same as a petrol then. I don't get mad at ACC but the people who are abusing ACC and cause these huge levys on our Rego. I don't think we have anything to complain about here in NZ, you should see the price of fuel in Europe!

Just my 2c

PS They can still catch you by seeing how much diesel you have purchased in relation to how much you have topped up your RUC. I personally know of 3 guys that have been caught like this.

they are checking average kms used between wof, if they notice a big drop you can get hauled up for a check.The fines are pretty steep from what I read.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

How could they possibly know how much diesel you have purchased? your kms are logged at every warrant as long as there is no minus ks or odd readings(my wagons previous owner did around 25,000 every second six months and non on the other 6 months!) also I could burn 100 liters in under 100km easy in serious 4wding for the sake of 4wding.
    Diesel costs less than half(or so I am informed buy people in the industry) to produce than petrol, therefore diesel should be well below half the price of petrol(as petrol has tax built into the price and diesel doesn't because we pay RUC,Yea right)
    They should have a very low cost lightweight sticker for the small diesel shopping trolleys that everyone says we should be using to get grocery's and drop kids off etc. Yep much more fuel efficient and less emissions than a petrol but why the hell would ya in NZ.
    Ute's rego is higher because they are generally owned by businesses that can claim expenses and can afford to pay it make no mistake it is nothing to do with accidents.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I dont understand the fuel thing but the kms between wof is a change in pattern thing, something different from the the previous few periods.mabe a consistant drop across the board..It was a quote in the local paper after a couple of court cases.vehicles where checked and found to have been tampered with,fines and reperation where substantial.
    With regard to "generally owned by businesses that can claim expenses and can afford to pay it" um....do you own a business?

A switch is well worth installing to save a few dollars, just make sere its in a handy HIDDEN place and you dont go from 30 thousand kms a year to 10. I've been stopped twice and asked to drive a k up the road to check the speedo was working. I live up a 2.3km driveway so dammed if I'm gonna pay R.U.C on travelling that 2 times a day for a whole year.

Easiest to hook into the wiring from the gearbox loom under centre console or firewall. Saves the hassle of pulling the dash to bits.

I heard you can claim back R.U.C if you do a lot of offroad driving. Could be worth looking into? A switch is probably easier

I'm at a loss as to why the gap between petrol and diesel prices is so small, evertything suggests it should be much bigger especially given the higher frequency and costs of servicing. I am intrigued about the wasted rucs for when you are off road. A few big trips up river beds etc per year and you are throwing money away

Nup I dont a business. I'm not saying bisnesses dont struggle.That is Just the way it is seen buy the govt. Hence ute=comercial vehicle=higher rego They couldn't pin it all on motorcyclists as a fair portion of acc is by non rego paying off road riders.So had to spread it around.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I know someone that winds thiers back - last 3-4 years shows NEGATIVE kms on at least 3 warrents.
    No issues whatsoever

Would be VERY hard for them to prove anything - dash failed and you replaced it with one with similar but less kms.. you wouldnt use one with more now would you!?!

tips on 92 terrano , wanna put the switch in?

Quote Originally Posted by HGM77 View Post
    tips on 92 terrano , wanna put the switch in?
    Should be as above - speed drives ODO electronically via small lead/plug

U can claim back off road use if you keep a log book and prove the usuage.