Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Q: for plumbers

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar

Q: for plumbers

Would it be safe to say that your tap for the hose on the side or your house is generally mains pressure, and not reduced as could be the cause with internal plumbing?

Outside tap will typically be the same pressure as the rest of the cold water system. This unless you have a low pressure HWC and the outside tap is connected to that feed line for some strange reason.
    The Biggest Room is the Room for Improvement

So outside at mains pressure as per the CW system, or is the internal CW reduced?

Trying to chase down low pressure, on the whole in and out system, but starting to wonder now if the mains is just shite

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Some newer installs require a pressure regulator on the house incoming supply. I had to put on on the last place I was in when I installed all new tap ware with ceramic seats. Mains supply can really spike up at times.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanners View Post
    So outside at mains pressure as per the CW system, or is the internal CW reduced?

Trying to chase down low pressure, on the whole in and out system, but starting to wonder now if the mains is just shite
    On a hot day like today every man and his dog will be watering the garden dragging the whole main down.
    Oh hang on you're in Wellington

We've had 2 days rain in 3 months here!
    We're on top of the hill and the tank isn't much higher in elevation.
    Must watch neighbours hose next time they are using it and see if theirs is shit too.
    Fit a booster pump?

How old is the house? If it is a typical old Wellingtonian dwelling probably has a galv supply and is rusted up. Your not on a shared supply?
    My bet supply

Q: for plumbers

Built in 1970
    There is a ring main in the street it appears from council drawings and each house comes off that.
    Thinking the lack of head pressure from the tank is main reason?

Quote Originally Posted by Spanners View Post
    Built in 1970
    There is a ring main in the street it appears from council drawings and each house comes off that.
    Thinking the lack of head pressure from the tank is main reason
    Won't be galv, probably head as you suggest

As the others have said, it could easily be the lack of mains pressure because the lack of drop from the local reservoir tank or small pipe diameter connecting to the mains, leak in the pipe in the garden somewhere (although that would show up pretty clearly at the mo).
    If the pressure varies during the day then basically its the mains pressure that's the prob.
    When the house i'm in was built a 25mm connection was standard for it. If you built it today it needs a 32mm connection because the pressure has dropped (council turned the pressure down as it was easier than finding all the leaks in the public system.
    The Biggest Room is the Room for Improvement

Ejected
    Councils have been known to drop the pressure. Wankers at Twizel did that, used to be about the best there was. Then they needed to pull it in with all the subdivisions they approved, now it's a low ok.

Want a pump Spanner? That will fix your low pressure, of course you'll need a swimming pool to pump from

Checked the pressure through the arvo and tonight - no change
    Checked the toby was fully open - it was, noticed there was a new one fitted (been 2 yrs since we lived here - so done in that time - cant remember what it was like - maybe we have been spolit since?)
    POSSIBILITY the council has put a restrictor in there when they fitted the new one, but I'd have thought it would reduce volume/flow, and with everything shut the pressure will equalise across and thus be there when first cracking the tap
    I need to make up a fitting when I go back to work and test the deadhead pressure.
    Talked to someone tonight - we worked out there 'should' be 3 bar-ish based on 100ft head pressure from the reservoir.
    Need to check the actual difference in altitude.

We're currently on gas hw, and will be pulling it and putting an infinity in, all walls will be out so if anything needs to be done,trying to plan ahead now

Want decent pressure

All copper pipe? Put a 20 mm supply to /your infinity for volume aye. Just doing the same op at my batch sick of electricity bills.
    Got the pipes ready to go in the shed.