Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: A question on Leraner driving.

A question on Leraner driving.

Disclaimer this does not affect me in any way shape or form.

Walking back from the shop today I saw a Nissan Leaf with an L plate.

Now I believe that if you take your test in an automatic (I dunno why you would even want one) then you can't drive a manual.

So the question is if you pass your test in an Electric vehicle can you then drive Ice vehicles since they are a totally different beast?

I have never driven an EV and have only been in one once and I didn't pay any attention to how to drive it.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Happy Jack.

pretty much its one foot driving and forget the brake pedal. bloody horrid things

viva le manual!
    Jukes likes this.

the trick to driving an ev is you need a kick in the nuts to start with
    may be sarcastic may be a bad joke

It's not a thing, driving an EV is counted same as driving an auto.
    Basically I you pass your test in an EV then your license will have an auto only condition on it, this is for restricted license only.
    Once you pass the test for your full you can drive auto or manual no matter what you passed your test in.
    199p, stug, BRADS and 4 others like this.
    #DANNYCENT

While I agree with the above sentiments, thanks to @dannyb for explaining the situation, I guessed someone with teenagers might know.
    dannyb likes this.
    Happy Jack.

Yeah the auto/manual thing is almost done and dusted - walk onto your average dealers lot and try and find a manual car (actual car, not a ute, SUV or van). They are rare as hens teeth and rocking horse poo now, haven't seen a new one that wasn't a 'sports' type special fit with three pedals for a LONG time.

I agree about the auto/EV thing though too - some of the EV's are complicated as shite and you need a manual (ha - the paper thing not the three pedals) to really know how to work the systems.
    Philipo, 199p and Jukes like this.

Quote Originally Posted by No.3 View Post
    Yeah the auto/manual thing is almost done and dusted - walk onto your average dealers lot and try and find a manual car (actual car, not a ute, SUV or van). They are rare as hens teeth and rocking horse poo now, haven't seen a new one that wasn't a 'sports' type special fit with three pedals for a LONG time.

I agree about the auto/EV thing though too - some of the EV's are complicated as shite and you need a manual (ha - the paper thing not the three pedals) to really know how to work the systems.
    Suzuki are one of the few manufacturers that still make them.
    Growlybear, outlander and XR500 like this.
    Happy Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
    Suzuki are one of the few manufacturers that still make them.
    And possibly that is due to demand from the grey snail fraternity - towing their little runabouts behind the house! Gotta have the auto equipped vehicles idling for that as the trans craps itself after the first 5,00k's with no bearing lube...
    outlander likes this.

Why auto? After driving one of those Road rangers for years
    Don't want to see a manual again lol.
    A modern auto pisses all over any manual(depend of application of course), designed to make things simple.

Name:  20231012_150810.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  2.18 MB
    Philipo, timattalon, Fawls and 3 others like this.

I've driven Kona and Ioniq EVs around Banks Pennisula. Got to say they were impressive on the hills and sealed roads, but really bad on the gravel roads as the traction control and regen braking didn't like the variable surface.
    But back on topic, there's zero chance I'd ever put a learner driver in an EV. Due to the low noise it's very easy to be going much faster than you think and then out brake yourself or go into corners dangerously fast. EVs and learners not a good mix!

Quote Originally Posted by riflegus View Post
    Why auto? After driving one of those Road rangers for years
    Don't want to see a manual again lol.
    A modern auto pisses all over any manual(depend of application of course), designed to make things simple.

Attachment 241777
    After having driven the Volvo I-Shifts I would never want to go near a road ranger gearbox ever again.
    Grey Kiwi, Localman and makka like this.

Our Isuzu at work has the 8spd Eaton fuller box, was an absolute pig when I first got my HT but after a dozen drives you work out pretty quick what works and what doesn't lol.
    striker likes this.
    Cursed be the ground for our sake. Both thorns and thistles it shall bring forth for us. For out of the ground we were taken, for the dust we are... and to the dust we shall return.

I’m on an auto ute now after my first three trucks all being manual. Will never go back to manual now but I will definitely be teaching my kids to drive manual. Manual will be pretty well dead by the time they are driving i’d say but it still translates to things like tractors and the older vehicles that will still be on the road etc so still a fundamental skill in my eyes.
    outlander, RUMPY and 11mms like this.

I'm currently teaching my daughter to drive. Majority and test in auto but whenever we're at a farm or camping she practices in my manual ute.
    Reason for this is to lesson the stress of the test, but she will know how to drive a manual.
    As with stagstalker, it's a life skill worth having.

side note, I did my license in an auto but owned a manual for 6 months beforehand. Wee bit different 40 years ago.....
    timattalon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by uk_exile View Post
    I've driven Kona and Ioniq EVs around Banks Pennisula. Got to say they were impressive on the hills and sealed roads, but really bad on the gravel roads as the traction control and regen braking didn't like the variable surface.
    But back on topic, there's zero chance I'd ever put a learner driver in an EV. Due to the low noise it's very easy to be going much faster than you think and then out brake yourself or go into corners dangerously fast. EVs and learners not a good mix!
    Not just EVs either....I used to transit rental cars for a rental company. I was asked to drive a then new Primera from Chch to Blen. It was the first of the CVT with the centre consol dash so about 1999-2001 I think. Was cruising along the Kiakoura coast at around half throttle and gave it just a little bit of juice as I came onto a straight...running nice and smoothly, relaxed and comrfortable...looked down at the speedo and I was a LOT faster than the speed limit......(Well past the "lose your license level" too...) It was at that point that I paid more attention to the speedo than listening to the engine revs...The CVT would sit at a rev range and not move...if you put your foot down, revs stayed the same and the gear altered to increase speed. I had not noticed as revs had not changed and man I am glad there were no pandas out that day....I got a hell of a fright.....To this day that is the fastest I have ever travelled in a vehicle on the road and I was not intending to go fast at all.....I can see how EVs would be possible to do similar but I suspect the battery range might drop somewhat....
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......