Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree17Likes
  • 3 Post By Cigar
  • 3 Post By gonetropo
  • 2 Post By hotbarrels
  • 3 Post By Allgood
  • 2 Post By Savage1
  • 3 Post By 7mmsaum
  • 1 Post By Husky1600

Thread: Radio aerials

Radio aerials

Boss buys big arsed JD, $210k, great tractor, but the bloody radio/stereo aerial decides to self destruct in very short time. And it was shit useless! Dealer replaces, decides to self destruct yet again. I do long hours in said tractor around this time of year and I like my music to keep me entertained. So I made a mount that could take the rock and roll on the top of a cab doing cultivation and fitted the remains of a 40 year old car aerial. That worked great for about a year, way better reception than the piece of shit JD supplied. But it has decided it aint up to it any more. I am looking for suggestions for an aerial that can take the constant rock and roll of a big tractor. Happy to make a good solid base for it, but I want it to last and I want good reception. The UHF CB aerials are strongly bulilt in the butt, but I cant find a normal stereo aerial that has a good mounting system on the bottom - anyone got some suggestions?

Gone but not forgotten
    Kotanga
    rugerman, Gibo and Micky Duck like this.

Banned
    On farm trucks, have used the base of the car type aerial plus a length of HT fence wire bent over to a piece of rubber

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    On farm trucks, have used the base of the car type aerial plus a length of HT fence wire bent over to a piece of rubber
    That works ok for a while, even the Kotanga upgrade. But cant seem to find anything with a decent base that will stand the punishment. All the car ones I can find are bloody useless. A UHF base with a stereo aerial would be the go - does a UHF aerial work for a stereo radio?

go get an RT aerial with the loading coil (spring) at the bottom. get it cut down to FM channel frequency 88-108MHZ.

This.....
    We still have the original fitted AM/FM aerial on the charter boat that was launched in 2005. Boat has spent all its time based on the Kaipara and about 95% of its trips were doing bar crossings....The only damage it sustained during that time was when I forgot to lower the aerial as we passed under the Hoteo Bridge....tore the black plastic tip off it......
    Husky1600, Micky Duck and m101a1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Husky1600 View Post
    Boss buys big arsed JD, $210k, great tractor, but the bloody radio/stereo aerial decides to self destruct in very short time. And it was shit useless! Dealer replaces, decides to self destruct yet again. I do long hours in said tractor around this time of year and I like my music to keep me entertained. So I made a mount that could take the rock and roll on the top of a cab doing cultivation and fitted the remains of a 40 year old car aerial. That worked great for about a year, way better reception than the piece of shit JD supplied. But it has decided it aint up to it any more. I am looking for suggestions for an aerial that can take the constant rock and roll of a big tractor. Happy to make a good solid base for it, but I want it to last and I want good reception. The UHF CB aerials are strongly bulilt in the butt, but I cant find a normal stereo aerial that has a good mounting system on the bottom - anyone got some suggestions?
    feel for ya doing 15 hrs a day in jonny on hay silage got to have my sounds and the news

When the aerial on the digger did the same thing I just bolted a piece of underground on & that worked mint

Switch to audiobooks and podcasts, no way I could go a day mowing etc listening to the radio anymore.
    Vod Ka'nockers and XR500 like this.

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    go get an RT aerial with the loading coil (spring) at the bottom. get it cut down to FM channel frequency 88-108MHZ.

Avoid any that used to be mounted on vans

They transmit van aerial diseases

Last edited by 7mmsaum; 21-01-2023 at 05:45 PM.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Bought a 1 metre, simple fold down aerial from Absolute Marine. Arrived yesterday on the mail truck, fitted after lunch, was cultivating for 4 hours afterwards and worked a treat.
    Allgood likes this.