Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Resetting vs new leaf springs.

Resetting vs new leaf springs.

So the Ute went though a pivot rut abit quick and has given the rhs spring a tweak(and the axle, but that’s another story)Been looking around and was suggested just get them reset. I would’ve thought the integrity of the spring has been compromised and it’s only a sticky plaster fix.

Thoughts or experience anyone???
    Farmers Feed The World..
    The Only Thing Not Delivered By Truck Are Babies...

MSL
    What sort of Ute

What's the cost difference? How old are they? Are they a good set up for the loads you carry? I put wizard leafs into my mu to get a better ride when it was loaded up

I did the spring reset thing years ago on a South African made Hilux with solid front axle and leaf springs all round. They were getting a bit saggy with some weight on board, and the front was wandering around.

Long story short it was a fantastic job for about 6 weeks, they started to sag terribly and unevenly. Pretty soon the ute was back to the shop, they had another go and that failed in even shorter time, and I ended up fitting a set of Dobinsons all round.

Biggest waste of time, the resetting thing, for me at least. I was pretty skint in those days which is why I would of done it. But the new set of springs was the best thing I could've done to that ute. They took me all the way from Cape Town to the Sahara and back again, and then some more.
    Just...say...the...word

It’s a LN106. Front springs I’ve got an axle and rh hub coming. Was $300ish to reset the pair or $200ish per side for new iron man ones.
    Problem with the new ones is a 6-8 week wait. Put it together and change springs later I think.
    Farmers Feed The World..

Have Old Man Emu leafs on all 4 corners of my LN106. Can’t fault them. I’m sure there wouldn’t be 6-8 week wait for them either .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    muzr257 likes this.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Ring Bellamy & East in Chch and talk to Matt, they could have springs off the shelf or make them up in a few days.

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
    Ring Bellamy & East in Chch and talk to Matt, they could have springs off the shelf or make them up in a few days.
    Yep, this! these guys have made (and fitted) springs for me in the past, they know what they are up to.
    oraki likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
    Agreed, have had them do springs for me too. Just make sure if you get an extra leaf put in that the springs are the same length as the ones on the truck now or the hangers can flick inwards.
    A 'reset' and re-tempering is fine, but a reset without the re-tempering is a waste of time. Perhaps Matt will reset and re-temper your existing springs if the are not showing wear.
    oraki likes this.

A very short tall person ROKTOY's Avatar
    Only issue with new springs is they need a while to settle and they will ride quite harsh until they 'break in'.
    If the ute is a good un and a keeper then I'd look at going new, If its just a hack, perhaps look at getting a second hand pair f rom wreckers etc?
    resetting a factory set of springs that has had a tweak isn't worth the time IMO.
    Moa Hunter and 2post like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ROKTOY View Post
    Only issue with new springs is they need a while to settle and they will ride quite harsh until they 'break in'.
    If the ute is a good un and a keeper then I'd look at going new, If its just a hack, perhaps look at getting a second hand pair f rom wreckers etc?
    resetting a factory set of springs that has had a tweak isn't worth the time IMO.
    It's like an oil painting, looks ok from afar, but close up abit rough. But in saying that, it's done 60km on a reconditioned motor, most of the bearings,brakes etc done in the last 30km. No rust to speak of. Previous owner was a mechanic and while it's been used off road, had all fluids changed out if water went over the hubs. Most panels have a dent or scratch, but I'd jump in it tomorrow to drive anywhere, and know it'd get me there. I don't get upset if I hear scrub scratching down the sides, so it's a keeper for a serious off-road stuff. I'll ring the Chch outfit today, along with Lineside to see what else is about for the right money, and availability.
    When I can no longer get a warrant, it'll be another farm hack
    Farmers Feed The World..

A very short tall person ROKTOY's Avatar
    Lineside wont be cheap.
    If Country automotive in Kaiapoi is still operating they will likely be cheaper. I had heard they were shutting down though.
    If buying new get some lifted springs, add in some oversized tyres bull bar and a winch. Hell why not.

New springs will come labelled LHS and RHS.

Sent from my SM-G390Y using Tapatalk
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Front axle and hub has come from line side at what I thought was fairly good price. Already lifted and new rubber on it, snorkel, and a flat deck(which I got and fitted for under $150). It's to handy to not have......plus servicing or if anything goes wrong, I can fix with a very basic toolset.
    Farmers Feed The World..

B&E do the springs for fert trucks.....Ive broken a fair few in 7 seasons of sowing (would be close to a dozen at over a grand a pop) pivot ruts are a mongrel. do the pair and keep the good old one for a just in case later on..... we did the fronts on an old landy years ago and it was funny as hell to drive it up a steep hill as you couldnt see the track in front of you it lifted the old girl that much compared to the saggy rears.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Bellamy and East all the way.....I used them for a couple trailers and know of several others and all have good things to say. Really helpful too as they know their stuff.