Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: side x side quads

I have a Honda Pioneer 700 SxS and while I don't drive it hard by any stretch of the imagination, it's been 100% reliable. As was mentioned above, you do need to warm up the engine before heading off but I've never found this inconvenient in any way, you just start it up and then get the rest of the gear ready to go. The salesman told me to do regular oil changes because the engine oil also runs the hydraulic drivetrain, so its working hard. Do that and you should be free from other issues.

I looked at all other options out there but the Hondas held their resale value and seemed to be the most reliable. I do a lot of river crossings and didn't want to have drive belts slipping when I needed them most, so that ruled out a lot of the competition for me. I'd had a good run out of the TRX500 I owned too.

They're not bullet-proof but they're pretty awesome at covering the terrain.

I should add that the 1000cc Pioneer is extremely comfortable on rough terrain, every single person I've taken in it comments on how good it rides. Most brace themselves for the first few big bumps, then soon realise they don't need to as the vehicle laps it up.

My advice is to take a 700 for a drive, then a 1000. They're completely different machines.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    I should add that the 1000cc Pioneer is extremely comfortable on rough terrain, every single person I've taken in it comments on how good it rides. Most brace themselves for the first few big bumps, then soon realise they don't need to as the vehicle laps it up.

My advice is to take a 700 for a drive, then a 1000. They're completely different machines.
    The 1000 certainly looks impressive compared to the 700 but the price wasnt so nice for a new one
    Do you think second hand is worth looking at or better off to go for a new one, given the fact that it will be used alot over the winter then not very much for the rest of the year?
    Save our Tahr. They belong in the southern alps.

Go new if you can then you know what you are getting or very low km which is impossible. Another option is demo model.
    We trade our sxs ever 1500hrs to 2000hrs which is about 15000km to 20000kms before they start costing money.