Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: Small Runabout Car

Small Runabout Car

Looking to buy a small runabout car for the monday - friday daily grind rather then chewing up unnecessary km on my ute. I’ve only ever owned 4wds and never been in the market for a little car so keen to hear anyone’s recommendations. Basically looking for small low maintenance platform with an engine around 1.2 - 1.5l max so it’s nice and efficient on fuel and can fit my three kids in it. Two car seats can go in the back and my daughter can go in a booster in the front seat if needed.

Looking at the likes of these atm:
    Suzuki Swift
    Mazda Demio
    Honda Fit
    Toyota Fitz
    Toyota Yaris

Thoughts?
    Cheers all

Forgot to add, not looking to spend a lot. Probably top end around 4k

Honestly a secondhand Nissan leaf has been a game changer for our family run around. Nearly zero servicing cost, cheap to "fuel" and great to drive. Hilux only comes out for trips to the hills or towing. I know some on this forum wont have a bar of EV's but i'd urge you to consider it.

Edit just saw your second post re cost, probably not viable.

I bought a 2004 Corolla for $1.5k, 300kms. Had it 3 years now, runs like a dream, no probs for a WoF.
    Handy for hunting too if your leaving it overnight rather than leaving your expensive ute there

Quote Originally Posted by stagstalker View Post
    Looking to buy a small runabout car for the monday - friday daily grind rather then chewing up unnecessary km on my ute. I’ve only ever owned 4wds and never been in the market for a little car so keen to hear anyone’s recommendations. Basically looking for small low maintenance platform with an engine around 1.2 - 1.5l max so it’s nice and efficient on fuel and can fit my three kids in it. Two car seats can go in the back and my daughter can go in a booster in the front seat if needed.

Suzuki Swift
    Mazda Demio
    Honda Fit
    Toyota Fitz
    Toyota Yaris

Thoughts?
    Cheers all
    All good choices except the Fit.
    Swift probably has the most space.
    If you could stretch to a Maxda Axela/3 thats what I would be doing

Exactly why I have a swift. Great little cars, mines a manual and quite fun to drive, easy to repair and service.
    I can do 1000k a week in mine if going to orifice everyday.

One of my guy here also have 2010 Swift and he is very happy with it, cheap little reliable car he said.

Wife used to own 2005 Mazda 2 or Demio, she used it for 10+ years before she upgrade and gave the car my mate's kids to learn to drive,
    they use the car until last year when rust is unrepairable and couldn't obtain WoF but engine still goes at 250+k.

Quote Originally Posted by stagstalker View Post

Suzuki Swift
    Mazda Demio
    Honda Fit
    Toyota Fitz
    Toyota Yaris

Thoughts?
    Cheers all
    I get the reasoning, but why not just use the ute ? You've already got it. may as well use it.
    There's no way I'd put my kids in the back of any of those vechiles if my ute was sitting at home. Particularly after you've been to a few bad MVAs involving small cars.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk
    Philipo, striker, Rich007 and 2 others like this.

I crashed a Mazda Demio (courtesy car) into a Kia Picanto earlier this weekend. His Picanto was still drivable but the Demio was not.
    Hope that helps lol
    Micky Duck likes this.

Toyota

I've got a 2007 Toyota Ractis I paid $5000 about 4 years ago @100,000km over 200,000 now and still no problems. I'm a notorious leadfoot and have always had heavy fuel usage but I regular get 7-7.5L/100km.
    It's huge inside, I'm 6'2" and still have 4" headroom, fold the back seats down and I can comfortably sleep in the back if I curl up a bit.
    outlander and blip like this.

How much money are you really saving if you buy a second car as you still have out lay the purchase cost (that’s a lotta diesel) then you still have to service it, maintain it, fix any mechanical issues which do arise in even small cheap cars, insure it and rego it and then you still have to pay for the petrol that goes in the tank…

Another one that's worth a look is the corolla/fielder wagon, should be able to pick up for less than $4k.
    I have one for a work car at the moment, good on fuel and heaps of room
    Micky Duck, Ned and blip like this.

if its got a toyota badge on it...job done. our wee corona has over 200,000kms on clock and the previous one had similar... never given bit of trouble.
    RV1 likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    I get the reasoning, but why not just use the ute ? You've already got it. may as well use it.
    There's no way I'd put my kids in the back of any of those vechiles if my ute was sitting at home. Particularly after you've been to a few bad MVAs involving small cars.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk
    We are going through the same thought process at the moment, but with the kids 'first car'.
    BRADS, Beaker and Got-ya like this.
    If my work annoys me, I cull them