Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By No.3
  • 1 Post By Blackfern
  • 2 Post By ROKTOY
  • 3 Post By ROKTOY

Thread: Storage drawers for prado

Storage drawers for prado

Has anyone built storage drawers for a truck before.
    Looking to. Put some in the old girl for storage and a sleeping platform.
    Keen to see what others have done and what to avoid.

Thanks in advance

Google up the 4x4 forums in Aussie - a lot of guys have done how-to threads with materials etc and showing the steps through to the end results. Prado specific too.
    Moa Hunter and Boner like this.

Banned
    I helped a young friend with this, no photos sorry. The way we did it was to sit wooden boxes in the back and get the height correct with the seat folding up and down. Then make a pattern with heavy cardboard or Bison board etc before marking out and attacking your 20mm ply

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    I helped a young friend with this, no photos sorry. The way we did it was to sit wooden boxes in the back and get the height correct with the seat folding up and down. Then make a pattern with heavy cardboard or Bison board etc before marking out and attacking your 20mm ply
    Must admit I was thinking 12mm ply, which comes in at 15kg a sheet, do you reckon 20mm is necessary?
    I’m not a builder so happy to hear from those with better knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Boner View Post
    Must admit I was thinking 12mm ply, which comes in at 15kg a sheet, do you reckon 20mm is necessary?
    18mm at least. 12mm will be flimsy.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Boner View Post
    Should have written 19mm ply. It needs to be strong enough that the locked drawers underneath cannot be accessed by levering up the platform

Had not really considered the security aspect to be honest.

Thanks @ No.3 found some great stuff on the Prado forum.
    Now the cost has spiralled out of control

Make a series of three cubbyholes side by side with two layers of 19mm ply on top. You'll end up putting something heavy up there one day and be thankful for the second layer.
    Make the cubbyholes fit a fish bin. You can have several bins loaded with different gear and swap in the bins you require for certain tasks or trips. Bins are also strong enough to take out and carry into a hut or into the shed. Or leave bins out to allow for gear storage.
    That said, my storage in rear of KZJ78 Prado, when I get it finished, is an open compartment for a fridge on a pull out slider, with ply above. A large metal toolbox with the lid removed to store all the 4wd recovery gear, chainsaw etc. and another wooden bin the same size for other gear than can run the risk of getting wet, toolbox, spare parts etc. All other gear is in bags stacked above on the two layers of ply shelf where it is less likely to get wet if water makes its way in the back when crossing rivers etc.
    I think a lot of shelfs or drawers reduces the amount of space you have for storage, and bins etc limit the size of what you can fit in them. You want space for big items, Rifle case, large tent, dog, deer carcass etc.
    And if you are a short bugger like me then stacking stuff up onto a shelf is a nightmare.
    Moa Hunter and Boner like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ROKTOY View Post
    Make a series of three cubbyholes side by side with two layers of 19mm ply on top. You'll end up putting something heavy up there one day and be thankful for the second layer.
    Make the cubbyholes fit a fish bin. You can have several bins loaded with different gear and swap in the bins you require for certain tasks or trips. Bins are also strong enough to take out and carry into a hut or into the shed. Or leave bins out to allow for gear storage.
    That said, my storage in rear of KZJ78 Prado, when I get it finished, is an open compartment for a fridge on a pull out slider, with ply above. A large metal toolbox with the lid removed to store all the 4wd recovery gear, chainsaw etc. and another wooden bin the same size for other gear than can run the risk of getting wet, toolbox, spare parts etc. All other gear is in bags stacked above on the two layers of ply shelf where it is less likely to get wet if water makes its way in the back when crossing rivers etc.
    I think a lot of shelfs or drawers reduces the amount of space you have for storage, and bins etc limit the size of what you can fit in them. You want space for big items, Rifle case, large tent, dog, deer carcass etc.
    And if you are a short bugger like me then stacking stuff up onto a shelf is a nightmare.
    Love to see pics of what you have done

Storage drawers for prado

Yes a bit hard to visualise, so a phot would be good. Have a profound and interested..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Boner @Dicko
    Currently, it's just a stack of cut out ply.
    The plan is as shown in the sketch below.
    Not to scale, but fridge slider on the left as my rear door opens on that side. Centre drawer is metal and hold strops, shackles, pulleys, ropes, chains, and a Chainsaw.
    Right hand drawer is tools, spares, etc.
    I am thinking of making the top level so larger items can sit flat and then have one large open cubby hole for tents and other items you want easy access to.
    In the rear of the fridge is a solar battery and controller. I will have a panel on my cargo barrier with inverter and USB ports for charging Chainsaw batteries and running camp lights, etc. Rearward charging ports planned too for work lights, etc, and led above rear drop down table on big rear door.

Name:  sketch.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  1.69 MB
    Dicko, Mohawk .308 and Boner like this.