Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Tow Wagon

If she's got her owne car for town why does she need to take the Ute
    outlander likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by muzza View Post
    'tis a brave man would buy a used Suby
    Depends which one, if you do your due diligence on the one owner it’s had and full dealership service history then you can be more confident that it hasn’t even thrashed.
    Outback’s aren’t generally the ones that would appeal to the boy racer types either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Quote Originally Posted by muzza View Post
    'tis a brave man would buy a used Suby
    Paid 4k for a 2007 outback 7years ago, its cost us a set of brake rotors (causes a lot of heat slowing down fast) and new tyres. Now got 250km on it, just got its wof which was a bit of a surprise

i have had the used subbys, never major issues with any, wont buy a cvt one though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    Inlaws just dropped their Skoda like a covid-infected neighbour, electrical issues like you wouldn't believe...
    My d-in-law has a Kodiaq, now maybe two yrs old, and it's been 100% reliable

JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE TRACK HAWK

Got 2005 3.0 Outback with 185,000km and it's towing boat well. 5 speed auto. Towed boat from Rotorua to Christchurch. Boat trailer plate says it's 2.2T
    Owned since 27,000km and have changed oil, filters, battery, wiper rubbers, 2 CV boots, front & rear brake pads, front rotors ($120 ea). That's it.

Based on this Outback and a previous Legacy with similar reliability I'm considering a newer 3.6 however tending towards a 4wd ute or SUV as have dug holes a few times recovering boat so need locked 4wd at launching site. Half considering keeping the 3.0 and welding the diffs, putting on rally tyres then leave it at lake for launching and play duties ;-)
    Dorkus likes this.

Tow Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by uk_exile View Post
    Got 2005 3.0 Outback with 185,000km and it's towing boat well. 5 speed auto. Towed boat from Rotorua to Christchurch. Boat trailer plate says it's 2.2T
    Owned since 27,000km and have changed oil, filters, battery, wiper rubbers, 2 CV boots, front & rear brake pads, front rotors ($120 ea). That's it.

Based on this Outback and a previous Legacy with similar reliability I'm considering a newer 3.6 however tending towards a 4wd ute or SUV as have dug holes a few times recovering boat so need locked 4wd at launching site. Half considering keeping the 3.0 and welding the diffs, putting on rally tyres then leave it at lake for launching and play duties ;-)
    https://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/geolandar-a-t-g015

Just put a set of these on my 3.6, makes a massive difference to the off-road traction, pulling trailers up steep dirt tracks etc and adds a little extra ground clearance too.

Went to Ruapehu last weekend and drove straight up the rocks and parked outside the lodge

"Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

What about the later model 2.5 diesel Outlander?
    Guy I know has one. Was a pajero nut for years.
    Got the Outlander and apparently goes well on road, way better offroad than expected, with heaps of room
    Dorkus likes this.

Got the Outlander and apparently goes well on road, way better offroad than expected, with heaps of room

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    Know a guy with a newish (5-8yrs old?) Mitzi 4wd van and apparently it's Outlander running gear. 2.4 petrol. He really rates it, in fact raves about it except for it's metrosexual look. Older Mitsi 4wd vans were Pajero running gear.
    outlander likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by uk_exile View Post
    Know a guy with a newish (5-8yrs old?) Mitzi 4wd van and apparently it's Outlander running gear. 2.4 petrol. He really rates it, in fact raves about it except for it's metrosexual look. Older Mitsi 4wd vans were Pajero running gear.
    Used to run a 2.4 Outlander as a company car, nice enough for the money but quite plasticky, all the toys though.
    Sucked at towing though, sank a tank of gas from Whangarei to auckland towing my boat, around 28l/100kms! Could also beep the belt in the cvt bouncing when you came off the gas and tried to slow the boat.

The diesel is a 2.3 with a normal auto so I believe is much better for towing.

Fark! 28L/100km towing!!!!! Even my 3.0 Outback pushed fairly hard through Taupo, desert road and Hundalee Hills only guzzled 20L/100km and that's towing 2200kg V8 inboard 6.4m ski boat. Through hills a bit of 3rd gear and occassional 2nd gear. Uses 12-14L/100km towing boat in 4th gear on flat country.Name:  cover1 small.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  74.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Spudattack View Post
    Used to run a 2.4 Outlander as a company car, nice enough for the money but quite plasticky, all the toys though.
    Sucked at towing though, sank a tank of gas from Whangarei to auckland towing my boat, around 28l/100kms! Could also beep the belt in the cvt bouncing when you came off the gas and tried to slow the boat.

The diesel is a 2.3 with a normal auto so I believe is much better for towing.

28l/100kms ! Jack the bugger up and seal the fuel tank hole with JB Weld. Back to 10l/100km as soon as the Weld dries.
    Spudattack likes this.

Guy I know years ago was running a jeep cherokee 4 litre petrol. Went well but first trip with the caravan it went through so much petrol he initially thought the fuel gauge was broken. Small v8 would've been better.
    I had a 3.2 V6 quadcam bighorn 4 door.
    Had to watch the loud pedal on that and never had to tow bugger all. Shudder to think what it would've used doing boat or caravan duty