Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Toyota or nissan V6

Toyota or nissan V6

Sooner or later I will be getting rid of the 94 pajero diesel
    Had it for 6 years but it is just a bit tired really.
    Considering the price of Diesel now being so close to petrol I am thinking about petrol.
    Ruling out the mitsi pajeros etc, just too many niggles especially the GDI and quite scoffy.
    That brings it into Toyota prado/hilux or nissan Pathfinder/navara.
    Mid to late 2000 models with the 4 litre engines.
    Havent really thought about the isuzu/holden models around that time but have a sneaky feeling there wasnt that many and they were only 3.5 litre.
    Goods, bads, prices etc?
    I will add that I dont own a trailer and I tow bugger all
    Borrow the bro in laws trailer to take rubbish etc to the dump a couple of times a year.
    I'm saying that because I'm well aware petrol economy goes through the floor if you start towing etc
    It's not really a consideration for me
    I suppose if I bit the bullet on a ute then I wouldnt even need his trailer, but I still help out sometimes with one
    Cheers
    Last edited by csmiffy; 12-10-2022 at 12:31 PM.

MSL

Toyota or nissan V6

Don’t forget, the 25 cent petrol tax reduction will finish shortly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam and dannyb like this.

Don't touch a modern Nissan with a bargepole
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

nissan will have the evil jatco cvt from hell, the toyota one is more reliable but cvt is pure crap to drive
    OGM likes this.

If you're not towing, why not consider a Highlander? You'll get one 8-10yrs newer for the same money... I've got a 2014 top spec highlander. Absolutely love it and if money allows, will have the equivalent model until they stop making them - and then I'll probably buy the driverless flying version.
    veitnamcam, JoshC and Beaker like this.
    "I heard Jesus did cocaine on a night out. Eyes wide-open, dialated, but he's fine now. And if his father ever finds out, then he'd probably knock his lights out...
    Gets a little messy in heaven "
    - Venbee

Toyota highlander
    Absolute winner.
    More economical than my diesel hilux plus more comfort and more grunt.
    All wheel drive but limited more by the tyres than the all wheel drive
    Beaker likes this.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    I'm interested in this as well, I'm just not sure where diesel is going, there was talk at work today of removing road tax and adopting an English like colour system.
    Will diesel climb higher
    Older vehicles may have gone for may hundreds of thousands of Km but I doubt mine will do anywhere near that and service costs are ridiculous
    I had a 4 yr service a month ago , not much change out of nearly 800$. Can't wait till I hit my 50 or 60thou Km one , Not.
    starting to suck really.
    A reliable decently strong petrol engine seems more and more attractive.
    Dorkus and csmiffy like this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I seriously looked at the 1GR 4 litre Toyotas but stuck with a diesel for towing and river crossings etc. Weekend vehicle so not too fussed on fuel costs. One issue I found (admittedly from reading the net and a couple of vehicles I looked at) with the Toyota motors are oil feed problems resulting in motors needing rebuilt. A fair bit of it I think is due to short runs causing sludging. Check under the oil filler caps and down the fill tubes. Will give an idea of what the inside is like. Both Prados in town I looked at were bloody bad. Maybe supermarket/school runners which wouldn’t help. Other than that they seem to be a bloody good motor. I think @Flyblown has had a good run from them?

mitisi outlander or suzuki escudo are good and have v6 engines too

I've got a 2015 V6 Hilux. Had it since new. Awesome truck.

Mine averages 13.05 L/100km for non-towing, and 14.5 L/100km when towing.

If you are serious off roading, the 2015 year is a bad one for this model. It is missing the limited slip diff due to the stability control requirements that came into force at that time, and was pre the factory fitted diff lock.

Yeah wont be newer models.
    Probably top out maybe 2010 for the models I suggested.
    No CVT in the nissans either @gonetropo but my nissan Murano V6 does have one. That does have an issue I should get you to look at but that is probably electrical.
    The highlander sounds ok and I do know the Outlander go well so that is definitely a consideration if I want a full body type over a ute. A vitara or possibly a rav could slip 8n there too. The outlander has a 2.6 which might be ok
    It wont be in the next few months, more likely next year will see what the fuel price is then
    26 cents is bigger all really though
    Diesel used to be 3/4 the price of petrol, now it's much the same. It would have to be 50-60c a litre to be like it was.
    TBH I don't really need a LWB prado either so the smaller wagons could work but if I want a ute it comes back to hilux or navara.
    The nissan motors are very good.
    And yes while I could get away with an all wheel drive model as I do shit all proper river crossings etc, there is that part of me that wants a proper 4wd just in case

If you're thinking about towing check the tow ratings. The current Highlanders are only 2000kg braked, less than you'd think for their size

Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    I'm interested in this as well, I'm just not sure where diesel is going, there was talk at work today of removing road tax and adopting an English like colour system.
    Will diesel climb higher
    Older vehicles may have gone for may hundreds of thousands of Km but I doubt mine will do anywhere near that and service costs are ridiculous
    I had a 4 yr service a month ago , not much change out of nearly 800$. Can't wait till I hit my 50 or 60thou Km one , Not.
    starting to suck really.
    A reliable decently strong petrol engine seems more and more attractive.
    I'm not calling BS but would find this hard to believe.
    With the increase in EVs there will eventually be a need to introduce RUCs for these vehicle, the government keeps kicking the can down the road but will introduce it eventually, the existing RUC system for diesel vehicles will work perfectly.
    Where it gets a little tricky is with petrol PHEVs, how do you charge RUCs on a vehicle that may be using EV 90% of the time or 10% depending on the owners use case.
    The obvious solution would be to have RUCs on petrols too and scrap the taxes applied to the petrol.

Actually about it they'll probably intorduce some convoluted system that allows them to keep the tax on petrol to ensure all the boat owners continue paying their "fair share" of extra tax.

With the near parity of petrol and diesel price I too thought it'd make more sense to go petrol over diesel.
    I have a Diesel V6 Discovery and a Petrol V8 discovery that I worked out the cost per 1000km on:
    -the diesel will do about 10l/100km normal driving and 13ish l/100km towing
    -the petrol will do 14ish /100km normal driving and 15-20 l/100km towing

For daily usage the diesel still works out cheaper due to the better fuel economy, for towing the diesel is way cheaper.
    If you were talking smaller vehicles then petrol is probably the better way to go as fuel consumption gets much closer, but for utes and SUVs I think diesel will remain the way to go for a very long time.

Diesel also has the advantage of more torque which usually makes for better towing and more range on tank of fuel.
    My petrol Discovery will do a max of 600km to a tank (maybe more if i take the risk) whereas 800km is easy on the diesel which is nice on a weekend away knowing if I fill up before I leave home I'll make it home again without having to find a petrol station.
    veitnamcam and No.3 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    I'm not calling BS but would find this hard to believe.
    With the increase in EVs there will eventually be a need to introduce RUCs for these vehicle, the government keeps kicking the can down the road but will introduce it eventually, the existing RUC system for diesel vehicles will work perfectly.
    Where it gets a little tricky is with petrol PHEVs, how do you charge RUCs on a vehicle that may be using EV 90% of the time or 10% depending on the owners use case.
    The obvious solution would be to have RUCs on petrols too and scrap the taxes applied to the petrol.

Actually about it they'll probably intorduce some convoluted system that allows them to keep the tax on petrol to ensure all the boat owners continue paying their "fair share" of extra tax.
    Boats can claim back the road tax under the claim back scheme. It's the same as farmers and forestry companies claiming back for off road miles. In some cases it's huge $$$$ amounts for the bigger companies doing the claim backs - I would be interested to find out if outfits like the smaller ferry outfits running outboard powered boats are claiming back because it would work out to probably several thousand a year!