Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: What caliber........... boat.

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    cheap boat would be an alloy 4m to 5m outboard 60 to 90 hp.pontoon is probably the most stable and safer option. if not too fussy a 430 wide stabi with 50 to 60hp with the high sides right to the back will do just about all you want to do and should get one for around 12k in good condition or a 5m mclay.just don't buy a Bluefin cub 500.
    After reading your thread, it got me thinking about a boat......so it's your fault I'm having the thoughts I am
    R93, Beaker and berg243 like this.
    Farmers Feed The World..
    The Only Thing Not Delivered By Truck Are Babies...

Using a New 140 Suzuki 4 Stroke on a Figlass Viscount
    Viscount ex inboard and alloy podded for Outboard
    Had a 200 E-Tech for 1st 11 years - corrosion eventually ate it (my boat is 365 days on swing mooring in salt water)
    E-Tech was amazing power - 60mph and still not WOT - would start to keel waltz at about that speed)

E-Tech 200 HO

4500-5000 rpm
    Fuel usage - 38-48 LPH
    30-40 knts
    8 mins to town (I live 9ks out from Havelock Marina)

Suzuki 140 4-Stroke

3950-4250 rpm (still running in at under 25 hours)
    19-21 knts
    Fuel usage 12.5 - 16 LPH
    4400-4550 (were I will prob eventually cruise at) is 16-18 LPH
    22-25knts
    15 mins to town (I live 9ks out from Havelock Marina)
    13 mins once run in

All above is with clean bum - slightest build up of foul and the fuel usage goes up

E-Tech oil cost will prob counter the extra cost od 4 Stoke service.

Driving the boat now with the Suzuki is like going from a Ferrari to Nanna's Mazda 323 :-(
    But the few fish we get not taste better due to cost per Kg :-)

I prefer Fiberglass over Alloy - but less practical - but much nicer ride
    You can set up a 6m Hard Top boat with new motor - hydraulic steer - braked trailer for under 40K
    Alloy hull alone, will start at 40K

You can set up a 6m Hard Top boat with new motor - hydraulic steer - braked trailer for under 40K
    @Sarvo interested in what boats you mean for this price.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Quote Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
    @Sarvo interested in what boats you mean for this price.
    My boat for example - as described above

Yeah have a look around and jump on a few. Mine has no seats, room.for chilly vom, cray pots etc, five bottles etc. If your are on board you aren't there to be sitting around lol
    stingray and Boaraxa like this.

Ive got a 566 Sea Nymph, all 1997, bought in 2000, just did the head gaskets last year on the 130HP V4 2 stroke Johnson, nice boat, I dont look at boats anymore as really satisfied with this one.
    Cheap to run for size. Needs occasional battery and their achille's heel seems to be the oil injection/fuel pump, $800 replacement done once, due again, will disconnect oil pump and pre mix.
    Great ski and fishing boat.
    Go for HP and probably 4 stroke out board if you can, figure what hull design you need for the use your gonna give it, mine is a wide boat, plenty of room and stable to fish of with a few others
    Beaker and oraki like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

We have the peasure of using a Stabi 409 ...very solid boat ,but rides terribly in short chop! Getting to my point most boat packages are sold with just enough power to get keep the deal done keeping the price down and get the boatie fishing ..problem is if you load the said package with four solid guys / dive gear and run home into sloppy sea you burn fuel somthing terrible. We have a 60 yam doing the devils work getting us about , but will replace it as soon as funds family etc agree with a 100 Hp which will give us more for less ..more grunt for less fuel on the bad days and a better cruising speed for the sme or less fuel on the good days ...working a small engine hard will end in tears
    veitnamcam, Beaker and oraki like this.
    Nil durum volenti !!

Of a boat is rated for 90 to 135HP, ask if you can fit a 150.
    Just because you have the horse's, doesn't mean you have to use them - but when you need them, generally, you'll be happy(and quite often safer) you have them.

And all of stingrays comments to
    veitnamcam, stingray and oraki like this.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Yep whatever you get make sure it is well powered, which for older boats usually means at or near the max rated power.
    My Fryan 450 (4.5m) with a 40hp Johnson is under powered as are most boats in that 4.2-5m range with a 40hp, with no gear at all and 2 adults its ok just but any weather and all the essential gear it is working too hard which isnt really a problem for the engine as they are designed to be run at full throttle but boy do they get inefficient at high load, 2 strokes outboards are jetted rich at high throttle openings to keep piston temps down and oil up and this results in high fuel use.

^^^Stingrays 5m stabi with 60hp fourstroke vs my 4.5m and 40hp twostroke on the same trip and one less set of dive gear and two less tanks mine with 50% less horsepower burnt 50% MORE fuel pushing a SMALLER boat just because it was working its arse off and just below full throttle to be on the plane.
    A 5.5m with a 90 or 115 on it would do the trip easily in less time at a higher cruise speed and use less fuel.

A well powered two stoke vs fourstroke will burn very similar fuel at cruise, where the fourstroke uses a lot less is at high and low load so trolling speeds and repetitively accelerating up on the plane towing a skier or just goin fast for fun.

A 60hp on mine would make it a bloody good little boat, more economical and some speed to run home before the weather.

Think about what size boat will suit you best.

4.2-4.5m really only good for 2 adults unless VERY well powered and used only for ski boat (Ie glassy conditions)

5-6m and getting up to four persons comfortably but once again will want to be powered near top of spec as a ski boat.

My little 4.5m suits me well as it is easy to tow and launch by myself and with a 2wd and it fits in my garage....I would like a 5m just for the extra seakeeping ability and still just in the fits in the shed/easy to launch/tow etc range.

Its horses for courses.
    stingray, Beaker and oraki like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.