Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Yamaha and Honda sxs

Yamaha and Honda sxs

Anyone using a Honda or Yamaha sxs at the moment? looking at a couple second hand and wondered if anyone has experiences they were willing to share , Good or Bad,
    Cheers
    Dave

Have both honda 500 and 700 sxs at work both have been great machine's and both have there purpose. @davhope what are you going to be using it for and what terrain?

Mostly carting the family around on tracks, not too much farm work, Picking up the odd deer and goat when I manage to bumble into one,
    Really want 3 seats so,was looking at the 4 seat Hondas and Yamaha Vikings,

I mainly use the 500 at work on high country and have found it to be a reliable bike. The 700 will climb a lot more places and seems to get through the bog alot better then the 500 especially on uneven terrain., 500 tends to pick up a front wheel. 700 is a lot more stable and does have a diff lock option. Both have enough power. 700 is a auto and have never had any problem's on high descent's even on clay tracks. servicing is every 100hrs and after 3 years have only just done a wheel bearing (most days going through a creeks) apart from the normal brake pads etc. I would not touch a polaris even if it was free.
    We have had a excellent run with the honda sxs and will be replacing them with honda's in the future.
    muzr257 and davhope like this.

Our last one was a Honda 700 it was a good machine, now have a Kawasaki mule pro fxt 6 seats it’s next level good more comfortable and much quieter, both serviced every 100hrs neither had given any issues.
    TIKKA 595 7mm08 for the deer 12 gauge for everything else!

Landcorp tried all the brands since getting rid of quads. Found Kawasaki to the strongest and most reliable. Servicing costs are worse than a Hilux though
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

Quote Originally Posted by davhope View Post
    Mostly carting the family around on tracks, not too much farm work, Picking up the odd deer and goat when I manage to bumble into one,
    Really want 3 seats so,was looking at the 4 seat Hondas and Yamaha Vikings,
    Used the Viking for a few years 6 deer and 3 hunters would max her out but never had any issues, and man it had a hard life. Was my mane transport hauling fencing gear into some rough country
    The can am defender I use now is way better imo

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Last edited by BRADS; 28-05-2018 at 10:55 PM.
    veitnamcam, gadgetman and Mathias like this.

were these faces crossed out so wifes wouldnt see them having fun haha
    Happy and dannyb like this.

Can you still get 3 people into the Canam?

Had both on 1200ha dairy farm
    , Honda was by far the better of the 2 plus better resale with the Honda.

Quote Originally Posted by davhope View Post
    Can you still get 3 people into the Canam?
    Yes

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    I mainly use the 500 at work on high country and have found it to be a reliable bike. The 700 will climb a lot more places and seems to get through the bog alot better then the 500 especially on uneven terrain., 500 tends to pick up a front wheel. 700 is a lot more stable and does have a diff lock option. Both have enough power. 700 is a auto and have never had any problem's on high descent's even on clay tracks. servicing is every 100hrs and after 3 years have only just done a wheel bearing (most days going through a creeks) apart from the normal brake pads etc. I would not touch a polaris even if it was free.
    We have had a excellent run with the honda sxs and will be replacing them with honda's in the future.
    + 1

100% correct on all accounts.

Hi Guys,
    Ended up with a second hand Honda 700 M4, Its taken a bit of work to get it to what I wanted but we are just about complete.
    Thanks everyone for their input.
    Cheers Dave

@davhope Photos?

So what modification's are you doing to it?

Once i got it home and cleaned all the mud off it there were a few too many areascof rust for my OCD to live with, so i stripped out the frame parts i wasnt happy with and got them sandblasted and powdercoated,
    Have also made a polycarb foldingvwindscreen and fitted a canvas roof
    Good thing about the honda frame is its all modular so if you want to replace something it just unbolts.
    Just waiting gor a winch mount off amazon to show up.